Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 11:32 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 11:32

Close

GRE Prep Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GRE score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 33108 [9]
Given Kudos: 25173
Send PM
Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 33108 [0]
Send PM
Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 33108 [1]
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Re: In Raisin in the Sun, Lorraine Hansberry does not reject int [#permalink]
How do i post here?
Verbal Expert
Send PM
Expert Reply
what do you mean ??
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Send PM
Could anyone please elaborate answer of the question 1. How it is been matched to the analysis by the critics about the thematic conflicts to be a mere confusion, contradiction, or eclecticism?
Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 33108 [2]
Send PM
Expert Reply
cetemyva wrote:
Could anyone please elaborate answer of the question 1. How it is been matched to the analysis by the critics about the thematic conflicts to be a mere confusion, contradiction, or eclecticism?

Those are distractin words. The core of the question and therefore C is the answer is this excerpt from the passage

Quote:
Indeed, a curiously persistent refusal to credit Hansberry with a capacity for intentional irony has led some critics to interpret the play’s thematic conflicts as mere confusion, contradiction, or eclecticism.

Lack of an intentional irony means lacks skills in that regards.

Hope now is clear

Regards
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [1]
Send PM
Questions in current Power prep 1 questions seems slightly changed.....you should upgrade all question...The questions of this passage are not similar to this....
Verbal Expert
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi,

not totally true. There are different variations of the same questions of the passage above.

Regards
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 81 [0]
Send PM
Got all the Questions Right , Timing was 04 : 45 . Is it Good as per GRE Standards ?
Verbal Expert
Send PM
Expert Reply
yes. Definitely..
Regards
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 307 [2]
Given Kudos: 24
Send PM
Bookmarks
1. The author of the passage would probably consider which of the following judgments to be most similar to the reasoning of the critics mentioned?

We need to find reasoning similar to as follows:-

Indeed, a curiously persistent refusal to credit Hansberry with a capacity for intentional irony has led some critics to interpret the play’s thematic conflicts as mere confusion, contradiction, or eclecticism. -Meaning they were intended to dislike the play.

A) The world is certainly flat; therefore, the person proposing to sail around it is unquestionably foolhardy - there is no intention. It is a fact
B) Radioactivity cannot be directly perceived; therefore, a scientist could not possibly control it in a laboratory. - Same as above
C) The painter of this picture could not intend it to be funny; therefore, its humor must result from a lack of skill. - That's the intention and as a consequence dislike
D) Traditional social mores are beneficial to culture; therefore, anyone who deviates from them acts destructively. - Same as point A
E) Filmmakers who produce documentaries deal exclusively with facts; therefore, a filmmaker who reinterprets particular events is misleading us. - Same as above.

Hence, C should be the answer.

2. Select and indicate a sentence in the passage in which the author provides examples that reinforce an argument against a critical response cited earlier in the passage.

The author reinforces the argument by comparing the play of LH with with DuBois and Fanon.
" But the play’s complex view of Black self-esteem and human solidarity as compatible is no more “contradictory” than DuBois’ famous, well-considered ideal of ethnic self-awareness coexisting with human unity, or Fanon’s emphasis on an ideal internationalism that also accommodates national identities and roles.

Hence, last sentence should be the answer.

3. In the context in which it appears, "realization" most nearly means

In Raisin in the Sun, Lorraine Hansberry does not reject integration or the economic and moral promise of the American dream; rather, she remains loyal to this dream while looking, realistically, at its incomplete realization. - Meaning dream's completeness or fulfillness.

A) understanding - understanding may or may not complete the dream
B) accomplishment - completeness. This should be the answer.
C) depiction - same as point A
D) recognition - Same as point A
E) discovery - Same as point A

Hence, B
GRE Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 1360 [2]
Given Kudos: 24
Send PM
Question 1: The author of the passage would probably consider which of the following judgments to be most similar to the reasoning of the critics mentioned?

The reasoning of the critics is that the irony in Lorraine Hansberry's Raisin in the Sun, is unintentional or confusion, contradiction or eclecticism.

Therefore, Choice C - The painter of this picture could not intend it to be funny; therefore, its humor must result from a lack of skill - is the correct answer.

Question 2: Select and indicate a sentence in the passage in which the author provides examples that reinforce an argument against a critical response cited earlier in the passage.

But the play’s complex view of Black self-esteem and human solidarity as compatible is no more “contradictory” than DuBois’ famous, well- considered ideal of ethnic self-awareness coexisting with human unity, or Fanon’s emphasis on an ideal internationalism that also accommodates national identities and roles.

The above sentence provides examples - DuBois’ famous, well- considered ideal of ethnic self-awareness coexisting with human unity, or Fanon’s emphasis on an ideal internationalism that also accommodates national identities and roles.

that reinforce the argument - the ironies are intended and the "contradictions" are reconcilable

against a critical response cited earlier in the passage - "...rather than as the “unintentional” irony that Bigsby attributes to the work..." and "...has led some critics to interpret the play’s thematic conflicts as mere confusion, contradiction, or eclecticism. Isaacs, for example, cannot easily reconcile Hansberry’s intense concern for her race with her ideal of human reconciliation."

Question 3 - In the context in which it appears, "realization" most nearly means

Turn this into a Text Completion question with the word "realization" replaced with a blank.

In Raisin in the Sun, Lorraine Hansberry does not reject integration or the economic and moral promise of the American dream; rather, she remains loyal to this dream while looking, realistically, at its incomplete __________.

I will choose the word "achievement" for the blank.

The word nearest to "achievement" from the list of choices is "accomplishment" or Choice B.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [1]
Given Kudos: 22
Send PM
Quote:
In the context in which it appears, "realization" most nearly means

A) understanding
B) accomplishment
C) depiction
D) recognition
E) discovery

Regarding #3:
Id argue that C. Depiction fits the sentence well and conveys meaning logically. We understand from the first sentence that Hansberry doesn't reject aspects of the American dream. I inferred that if she doesn't dismiss certain aspects of the American dream, it it means that she is looking at things from a holistic view. That's why to me 'depiction' would be a better word to replace 'realization'. 'Depiction' indicates that there is a bigger picture, that there is more that meets the eye. I still don't understand how 'accomplishment' would replace 'realization' in the sentence.
Verbal Expert
Send PM
Expert Reply
Sorry sir

what is the question you did not get, the third ?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Send PM
Carcass wrote:
Sorry sir

what is the question you did not get, the third ?

Hi, sorry if my question was phrased confusingly.

Regarding Question #3:
I chose C.
Id argue that 'Depiction' fits the sentence well and conveys meaning logically. We understand from the first sentence that Hansberry doesn't reject aspects of the American dream. I inferred that if she doesn't dismiss certain aspects of the American dream, it it means that she is looking at things from a holistic view. That's why to me 'depiction' would be a better word to replace 'realization'. 'Depiction' indicates that there is a bigger picture, that there is more that meets the eye.
I still don't understand how 'accomplishment' would replace 'realization' in the sentence.
Verbal Expert
Send PM
Expert Reply
In Raisin in the Sun, Lorraine Hansberry does not reject integration or the economic and moral promise of the American dream;

she does basically agree that the American dream is still in place. Notice the verb DOES NOT REJECT. she does not push back the American dream. We do know , on the other side, to what degree she agrees or accepts it. I.E. she thinks that the dream is realized 100% by all the American people or only 20% realized it and 80% or failed ?

rather, she remains loyal to this dream

basically she still believes the dream

while looking, realistically, at its incomplete realization.

However, she points out that the dream itself (as I made an example in the previous sentence), in reality, is NOT accomplished by everyone.

The dream exists but not all people chased it

realized=chased= accomplished= nailed=targeted=catched

I hope now is more clear
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Send PM
Carcass wrote:
In Raisin in the Sun, Lorraine Hansberry does not reject integration or the economic and moral promise of the American dream;

she does basically agree that the American dream is still in place. Notice the verb DOES NOT REJECT. she does not push back the American dream. We do know , on the other side, to what degree she agrees or accepts it. I.E. she thinks that the dream is realized 100% by all the American people or only 20% realized it and 80% or failed ?

rather, she remains loyal to this dream

basically she still believes the dream

while looking, realistically, at its incomplete realization.

However, she points out that the dream itself (as I made an example in the previous sentence), in reality, is NOT accomplished by everyone.

The dream exists but not all people chased it

realized=chased= accomplished= nailed=targeted=catched

I hope now is more clear

couple more follow up Qs

In the first sentence we understand that Hansberry does not reject the American dream but she talks about 2 aspects of the American dream: integration as well as economic and moral promises. Later in the paragraph she talks about race concerns vs human reconciliation (ie. "...Hansberry’s intense concern for her race with her ideal of human reconciliation."). When I read the paragraph entirely, there is no mention of what percent of the American dream is accomplished. All the examples in the paragraph reflect the concept of integration, which ties back to 1 of the 2 aspects Hansberry mentions in the first sentence. That is why I dont see how "accomplished" can replace "realization".

she remains loyal to this dream while looking, realistically, at its (AMERICAN DREAM) incomplete realization. ORIGINAL
she remains loyal to this dream while looking, realistically, at its (AMERICAN DREAM) incomplete depiction.
she remains loyal to this dream while looking, realistically, at its (AMERICAN DREAM) incomplete accomplishment.

I want to clarify a point in your previous response.
You stated: "We do know , on the other side, to what degree she agrees or accepts it. I.E. she thinks that the dream is realized 100% by all the American people or only 20% realized it and 80% or failed ?"
I argue: we do NOT know to what degree Hansberry accepts/rejects the American Dream. So im confused by your statement above.
Verbal Expert
Send PM
Expert Reply
To q1 I amnot quite sure what you meant. However, we do need a word in context. When you deal with such questions looking too ahead in the passage is detrtimental. You have to stay tight in the area where the word must be replaced and the meaning over there

To q2 That was just my thoughts if I was in front of the passage

If the American dream was a social and economic phenomenon and she agree with that and she still believe that the dream took place she NOT totally agree it accomplished all the promises the dream carried with it

I hope this helps
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 51 [0]
Send PM
Hello from the GRE Prep Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GRE Prep Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
Prep Club for GRE Bot
[#permalink]
Moderators:
GRE Instructor
218 posts
GRE Instructor
1029 posts