Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 15:30 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 15:30

Close

GRE Prep Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GRE score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 33099 [9]
Given Kudos: 25173
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 142 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 33099 [2]
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 20 [0]
Send PM
Re: The prevalence of a simian virus has been directly correlate [#permalink]
I also thought the answer was rather C than D.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [1]
Given Kudos: 12
Send PM
Carcass wrote:
C and D are both good answers. However, only D is the right one.

Actually, we care about of the discrepancy in population density. If we are in a scenario in which the population itself is not being tested for some reason from an inside point of view (they are aggressive) so we do have the answer.

C, on the other hand, shows a reasoning from the outside: the habitat is not accessible and we didn't test the gorillas. However, we do not know if tomorrow (maybe a massive deforestation) we could test them

D instead: deforestation or not even though they are accessible would not be tested either way because aggressive.

Hope this helps.

Regards

Actually there has been no hint either in the passage or question intrinsic factors should be considered over extrinsic moreover even if you consider deforestation
That is future event and should we consider it ?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Send PM
Can anyone explain what the question is really asking us to answer? the question asks us to Account for Discrepancy? I didnt quite fully understand it
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Send PM
The prevalence of a simian virus has been directly correlate [#permalink]
I also had gone for C as my first answer but if we think a little harder, then we can allegedly conclude that the other population(Koluga) was not that reclusive or obscure after all - supported by the fact that has been established in the passage - "the population density of Koluga gorillas is significantly greater than that of Morgania gorillas" - which means that both would have to be accessible and hence comparable, but there's some peculiar characteristic that attacks one of the two factors(ability to capture and thereafter test them) essential for the study.
Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 33099 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
Here is the OE as below:

The greater the population density the greater the chance a gorilla is infected. Koluga gorillas have a greater population density than Morgania gorillas, therefore one would expect them to be more . Based on captured gorillas, the Morgania gorillas are more likely to be infected.

The paradox can best be resolved by (D). If scientists are far more likely to capture non-infected than infected Kogula gorillas, than that accounts for the difference in results.

(A) would be correct if the passage mentioned that researchers only captured the gorillas in the plains, and uninfected Koluga gorillas are more likely to venture out of their natural habitat.

(B)does not differentiate between the two gorillas so it unlikely to help resolve the discrepancy.

(C) is similar but different. It is not the total number of captured Kogulas that is important. ‘Twice as likely’ is based on rate not total number.

(E) is out of scope.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 51 [0]
Send PM
Hello from the GRE Prep Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GRE Prep Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
Prep Club for GRE Bot
[#permalink]
Moderators:
GRE Instructor
218 posts
GRE Instructor
1029 posts