Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 12:34 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 12:34

Close

GRE Prep Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GRE score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 33117 [3]
Given Kudos: 25175
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 129 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 33117 [2]
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
Send PM
Re: Electric washing machines, first introduced in the United St [#permalink]
Hi Everybody! I'm pretty much new to GRE reading comprehension, and while practicing for it I came across a question:

"Electric washing machines, first introduced in the United States in 1925, significantly reduced the amount of time spent washing a given amount of clothes, yet the average amount of time households spent washing clothes increased after 1925. This increase is partially accounted for by the fact that many urban households had
previously sent their clothes to professional laundries. But the average amount of time spent washing clothes also increased for rural households with no access to professional laundries."

Select and indicate the best answer from among the five answer
choices:

Which of the following, if true, most helps to explain why the time spent washing clothes increased in rural areas?

A. People with access to an electric washing machine typically wore their clothes many fewer times before washing them than did people without access to electric washing machines.

B. Households that had sent their clothes to professional laundries before 1925 were more likely than other households to purchase an electric washing machine when they became available.

C. People living in urban households that had previously sent their clothes to professional laundries typically owned more clothes than did people living in rural households.

D. The earliest electric washing machines required the user to spend much more time beside the machine than do modern electric washing machines.

E. In the 1920s and 1930s the proportion of rural households with electricity was smaller than the proportion of urban households with electricity.

Answer:
A — People with access to an electric washing machine typically wore their clothes many fewer times before washing them than did people without access to electric washing machines.

Can someone please tell me how A could be the answer? I thought C should be the answer since it explains the same as given in the above passage.

Thanks in advance!
P.S: Question and the answer was taken from the official GRE material.
Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 33117 [0]
Send PM
Re: Electric washing machines, first introduced in the United St [#permalink]
Expert Reply
I understand Sir you are new to this forum. No problem

The question is called in The GRE passage paragraph argument or on the GMAT is similar is not identical the Critical reasoning

Performing a real quick search using the lens at the top of every page you can easily find every kind of question you looking for on the board: quant and verbal or else

See above my explanation

regards
Prep Club for GRE Bot
[#permalink]
Moderators:
GRE Instructor
218 posts
GRE Instructor
1029 posts