Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 06:20 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 06:20

Close

GRE Prep Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GRE score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 33116 [7]
Given Kudos: 25175
Send PM
Most Helpful Community Reply
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 918 [14]
Given Kudos: 0
General Discussion
Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 33116 [2]
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 87 [0]
Concentration: Marketing
Schools: Copenhagen Business School - Class of 2022
Send PM
Re: Whether the languages of the ancient American peoples were u [#permalink]
theBrahmaTiger wrote:
17. A main purpose of the passage is to

When dealing with the overall idea or main purpose of the passage question, I always look for the author's attitude toward the content. What is the main topic of discussion, overall tone, and the direction where the content is taking us.

In this passage, the author started out with introducing an ancient language. Afterwards, the author discussed some abstract concepts related to the language. The author discussed how the language was used by tlamatinime , in which he pointed out the use of the language in metaphorical sense and juxtaposition of two words to convey one single idea. Therefore, the answer that matches with this exposition is E.

18. According to the passage, some abstract universal ideas can be expressed in Nahuatl by

It is clear from the first paragraph that one of the uses of the language is by using two words to convey one single abstract thought. None of the the other answer choices were mentioned in the passage.

19. It can be inferred solely from the information in the passage that

The tlamatinime ("those who know') were able to use this rich stock of abstract terms to express the nuances of their thought.

Since it is now known that the tlamatinime were able to use the abstract terms, then it must have been established based on some evidence that led to this conclusion. Therefore, C can be inferred. A can not be inferred as only Greek and German were mentioned. Other options can be eliminated because of the use of extreme words: "always" and "habitually".

Hej,

I would have just one question pertaining to 17q

So would we assume that the aesthetic resources (which is mentioned in the answer choice) is the juxtaposition of the two words?

For me it is sort of hard to think about it in such a way since, it doesn't really feel like it is a aesthetic resources, perhaps my reasoning is wrong.
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 918 [0]
bubidag wrote:
theBrahmaTiger wrote:
17. A main purpose of the passage is to

When dealing with the overall idea or main purpose of the passage question, I always look for the author's attitude toward the content. What is the main topic of discussion, overall tone, and the direction where the content is taking us.

In this passage, the author started out with introducing an ancient language. Afterwards, the author discussed some abstract concepts related to the language. The author discussed how the language was used by tlamatinime , in which he pointed out the use of the language in metaphorical sense and juxtaposition of two words to convey one single idea. Therefore, the answer that matches with this exposition is E.

18. According to the passage, some abstract universal ideas can be expressed in Nahuatl by

It is clear from the first paragraph that one of the uses of the language is by using two words to convey one single abstract thought. None of the the other answer choices were mentioned in the passage.

The tlamatinime ("those who know') were able to use this rich stock of abstract terms to express the nuances of their thought.

Since it is now known that the tlamatinime were able to use the abstract terms, then it must have been established based on some evidence that led to this conclusion. Therefore, C can be inferred. A can not be inferred as only Greek and German were mentioned. Other options can be eliminated because of the use of extreme words: "always" and "habitually".

Hej,

I would have just one question pertaining to 17q

So would we assume that the aesthetic resources (which is mentioned in the answer choice) is the juxtaposition of the two words?

For me it is sort of hard to think about it in such a way since, it doesn't really feel like it is a aesthetic resources, perhaps my reasoning is wrong.

Yes, the last line of the passage corroborates this assumption.

Used as metaphor, the juxtaposed terms connote specific or essential traits of the being they refer to, introducing a mode of poetry as an almost habitual form of expression.

It tells us that juxtaposed terms add flavor or color into the language and that can be used in poetry. Aesthetic means the expressions that add beauty or color into the language.

Hope that makes sense.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 87 [0]
Concentration: Marketing
Schools: Copenhagen Business School - Class of 2022
Send PM
Makes more sense.

Rather difficult to understand the sentence.

Thank you for your help.

Posted from my mobile device Image
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Given Kudos: 25
Send PM
Can someone explain Q#23 in detail? Plus what does "those who know" in parentheses imply?
Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 33116 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
Greprep911 wrote:
Can someone explain Q#23 in detail? Plus what does "those who know" in parentheses imply?

We do not have Q 23
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Given Kudos: 25
Send PM
Whether the languages of the ancient American peoples were u [#permalink]
Q# 19 sorry!
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 2118 [2]
Given Kudos: 140
GRE 1: Q168 V157

GRE 2: Q167 V161
Send PM
Whether the languages of the ancient American peoples were u [#permalink]

(A) there are many languages that, like Greek or German, allow extensive compounding - We don't know about other languages.

(B) all abstract universal ideas are ideas of complex relations - This is an extreme choice.

(C) some record or evidence of the thought of the tlamatinime exists - Yes. starting in the second para the first line implied that some record exists of their thought.

(D) metaphors are always used in Nahuatl to express abstract conceptual relationships - Extreme one and we can't say always metaphors are used, from the passage.

(E) the abstract terms of the Nahuatl language are habitually used in poetry - Here the ETS plays devil's role. In the passage it is mentioned that Used as metaphor, the juxtaposed terms connote specific or essential traits of the being they refer to, introducing a mode of poetry as an almost habitual form of expression.

Answer D

Greprep911 wrote:
Q# 19 sorry!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [2]
Given Kudos: 18
Send PM
17. Options from A to D, focus only one idea/aspect of the many mentioned in the passage. Thus E is correct as it goes along with the tonality of the passage.

18. The passage mentions "combination of radicals or semantic elements, single compound words can express complex conceptual relations". If you start eliminating by first words, only D [ putting ] offers any anything close to synonym of 'combination'. Also can be validated a its just rephrasing of the line in the passage.

19. A mentions that there are many languages with similar features but the passage only mentions and supports one. B is too extreme by using "all". D uses always, whereas the passage uses mostly in"most characteristic in Nahuatl is the juxtaposition of two words that". E mentions abstract "terms" and not "idea" thus is eliminated too.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 51 [0]
Send PM
Hello from the GRE Prep Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GRE Prep Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
Prep Club for GRE Bot
[#permalink]
Moderators:
GRE Instructor
218 posts
GRE Instructor
1029 posts