Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 23:49 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 23:49

Close

GRE Prep Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GRE score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 33114 [9]
Given Kudos: 25173
Send PM
Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 33114 [3]
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 69 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 33114 [0]
Send PM
Re: QOTD # 1-2 Supernovas in the Milky Way are the likeliest sou [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Yes, I totally agree with you if not for a small word you forget to mention in that phrase.

Quote:
The origin is most likely no more than a little over 100 million light-years away from Earth

with this in the passage

Consequently, no cosmic ray traveling much beyond 100 million light-years can retain the energy observed in UHECRs.

They perfectly match.

Hope this helps

Regards
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 69 [0]
Send PM
Carcass wrote:
Yes, I totally agree with you if not for a small word you forget to mention in that phrase.

Quote:
The origin is most likely no more than a little over 100 million light-years away from Earth

with this in the passage

Consequently, no cosmic ray traveling much beyond 100 million light-years can retain the energy observed in UHECRs.

They perfectly match.

Hope this helps

Regards

Thank you, :-D :-D :-D the test organizers are so cunning. Also, what you think my level is if I make such a mistake? Thanks in advance.
Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 33114 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
Difficult to judge based on one question only. It could be a silly mistake or something related with your English skills.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [2]
Send PM
Can anyone help me to understand the 2nd question, please? it seems that the answer choice B is correct. I have been thinking why C is correct and it seems ok to be the right answer but I just can't understand why B is not the correct one. Because to me, it feels like quasar and gamma rays were plausible position for the cosmic ray's source and the last line was contradictory to this explanation for the source of those cosmic rays. I just can't find my mistake.
Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 33114 [4]
Send PM
Expert Reply
BipashaAmin wrote:
Can anyone help me to understand the 2nd question, please? it seems that the answer choice B is correct. I have been thinking why C is correct and it seems ok to be the right answer but I just can't understand why B is not the correct one. Because to me, it feels like quasar and gamma rays were plausible position for the cosmic ray's source and the last line was contradictory to this explanation for the source of those cosmic rays. I just can't find my mistake.

Venomous passage

Analyzing it as the following:

X (Supernovas) are composed by \(x_1,x_2,\) ......so forth x-rays type

Supernovas in the Milky Way are the likeliest source for most of the cosmic rays reaching Earth.

However, calculations show that supernovas cannot produce ultrahigh-energy cosmic rays (UHECRs), which have energies exceeding 1018 electron volts. It would seem sensible to seek the source of these in the universe’s most conspicuous energy factories: quasars and gamma-ray bursts billions of light-years away from Earth.

However, our X does not produce a CERTAIN type of rays which can not reach our planet BECAUSE 20% of those rays are lost every 20 millions of years. In 100 million light-years they become zero, basically.

Therefore our conclusion is the following

In the context of the author’s argument, the last sentence performs which of the following functions?

A) It explains a criterion that was employed earlier in the argument.

No. It is a conclusion not an explanation. it is the result

B) It shows that an apparently plausible position is actually self-contradictory.

It does not contradict anything before

C) It is a conclusion drawn in the course of refuting a potential explanation.

Yes. It is. Our potential explanation is that some other source is the origin of our rays. And the last sentence concludes that the rays from supernovas can not reach or pass over 100. The explanation is the match calculation above

D) It overturns an assumption on which an opposing position depends.

Nothing here is assumed

E) It states the main conclusion that the author is seeking to establish

The author does not establish anything. We have specific facts. Basically E says that we have an assumption but we do not. D and E says the same thing
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 87 [0]
Concentration: Marketing
Schools: Copenhagen Business School - Class of 2022
Send PM
quite a tough one!
Thanks for posting it!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [1]
Given Kudos: 4
GRE 1: Q164 V155

GRE 2: Q164 V157

GRE 3: Q163 V159

GRE 4: Q162 V161
Send PM
I think D is almost correct but is lacking "conclusion" language.

Referring to answer choice D: I think the opposing position (distant quasars and gamma-ray bursts) assumes that these photons can travel billions of Light Years. The last sentence does overturn this assumption.

But the last sentence is ALSO ("Consequently") the conclusion, therefore C is more correct.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
QOTD # 1-2 Supernovas in the Milky Way are the likeliest sou [#permalink]
Carcass wrote:

Quote:

with this in the passage

They perfectly match.

Hope this helps

Regards

I still find the passage and the answer choice C confusing. It says in the passage that " no cosmic ray traveling much beyond 100 million light-years can retain the energy observed in UHECRs" and in the answer choice C " The origin is most likely no more than a little over 100 million light-years away from Earth." So if the answer choice is talking about the Origin from earth, can't the origin be like 180 million light years? so it has traveled 100 million years from its origin and is still can be seen from earth when it is 80 million light years away from earth? doesn't that mean its origin can be more than 100 million light years?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [1]
Given Kudos: 12
Send PM
Hi Carcass GreenlightTestPrep HarishKumar: I found this official question pretty tough. I got it all wrong on both occasions I tried in last 10 days. And this was after I finished all my prep. This was pretty disheatening and shook my confidence. What should be our strategy to handle such questions on the test? Thanks.
Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 33114 [3]
Send PM
QOTD # 1-2 Supernovas in the Milky Way are the likeliest sou [#permalink]
Expert Reply