Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 14:21 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 14:21

Close

GRE Prep Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GRE score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 33099 [12]
Given Kudos: 25173
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 33099 [2]
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 20 [1]
Send PM
Re: The Biblical portrayal of (i)_________times preceding t [#permalink]
Bookmarks
rustic, antediluvian, allegories
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [0]
Given Kudos: 13
Send PM
I was not familiar with the word flagitious before coming across it above. I did not even know what it meant. But it was the right answer choice because neither rustic nor dubious made sense in the above context: rustic is typically used with respect to a place while dubious times barely stands a chance of making sense, well, at least above.

Antediluvian is the correct choice for the second blank because the part of the sentence is about a period before a great flood. Allegories is also the correct choice for blank three because neither equivocations nor platitudes made sense and because allegories stand in contrast to the reconstruction of the past.

Posted from my mobile device
GRE Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 1360 [1]
Given Kudos: 24
Send PM
The Biblical portrayal of (i)_________times preceding t [#permalink]
The Biblical portrayal of (i)_________ times preceding the great deluge stands in stark contrast to the ancient Greek representation of the (ii)_________ past as a Golden Age from which humanity has slowly descended into godless chaos. Such observations can easily give rise to the notion that stories about the past are less faithful attempts at reconstruction than (iii) _________ , ex­pressing both our cultural fears and hopes.

A contrast between the Greek representation of the Golden Age and the Biblical portrayal of the times preceding the flood is established in the paragraph. This means that the times portrayed in the Bible should be un-Golden, and the word is flagitious, which means criminal or villainous. It is definitely not dubious or rustic and these can be eliminated easily to choose flagitious.

The second blank:

Now, we need a word which describes the past. Since both the Bible and the Greeks are talking about the times preceding the great deluge, the word is clearly antediluvian.

The third blank:

We need word that is of the same category as stories, so allegories is correct choice. An allegory is a story, poem, or picture that can be interpreted to reveal a hidden meaning, typically a moral or political one.Also equivocations refer to ambiguous language which conceals the truth and platitudes refer to remarks or statements, especially ones with a moral content, which have been used too often to be interesting or thoughtful. So these two can be eliminated.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 25
Send PM
If we know time cannot be rustic, that is all for this question.

Posted from my mobile device
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Carcass, can you please explain how we can translate flagitious in this context?
Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 33099 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
plagues.

The representation of the biblical plagues or natural calamity

Attachment:
plagues.jpg
plagues.jpg [ 104.44 KiB | Viewed 2454 times ]
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 51 [0]
Send PM
Hello from the GRE Prep Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GRE Prep Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
Prep Club for GRE Bot
[#permalink]
Moderators:
GRE Instructor
218 posts
GRE Instructor
1029 posts