Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 05:29 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 05:29

Close

GRE Prep Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GRE score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 33115 [3]
Given Kudos: 25175
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 142 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 33115 [0]
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 97 [0]
Send PM
Re: Consumer Advocate: Happy Smiles Daycare, a popular child-car [#permalink]
Please correct my understanding

Conclusion: ratio is not accurate(5:1)

Options:
A. Same ratio so reject of 5: 1.
B. child caring ratio for age more than 3 years is triple to other classes.
C. Fixed ratio : reject
D. Parents ratio included hence reject irrelevant information.
E. Too extreme. Negative.

Is it correct?
Verbal Expert
Send PM
Expert Reply
:wink:
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 20 [3]
Send PM
Somehow I feel that this question is quantitative reasoning related/
Consumer Advocate: Happy Smiles Daycare, a popular child-care facility in Rolling Hills, boasts an average child-to-caregiver ratio of 5: 1, a number it cites as the lowest in the county. Furthermore, the daycare claims that compared to some other daycare centers in the county, it doesn’t include helpers, or those who are involved in cleanup and diaper changing, when computing the ratio. Yet Happy Smiles Daycare’s claim that parents with children aged 1– 3 will find no other facility with such a low child-to-caregiver ratio isn’t accurate.
In order to back up the conclusion, which stated that HSD's claim that they provides the lowest average child-to-caregiver ratio for 1-3 yrs kids in the county isn't accurate, we need evidences that there is the same or lower class ratio elsewhere.
Which of the following, if true, provides the best justification for the Consumer Advocate’s position?

A. Happy Smiles Daycare has two rooms, one for children 1– 2 years old and another for those 2– 3 years old, both of which have a child-to-caregiver ratio of 5: 1.
This actually support HSD's claim, which is opposite of CA's position
B. Kenton School, which has fewer than 100 students and a legitimate child-to-caregiver ratio of 6: 1, provides classes for each year up to age 6, though the classes for those over 3 years old have a child-to-caregiver ratio more than three times that of the other classes.
Kenton school, with an overall child-to-caregiver ratio of 6:1, and 3-6 yrs kid class ratio triples that of 1-3 yrs kids, will have a ratio of 3:1 for 1-3 yrs kids, and 9:1 for 3-6 yrs kids. Therefore, there is proof that in this county, at least 1 other school has the same class ratio for 1-3 yrs kids as HSD
C. The number of students enrolled in Happy Smiles Daycare remains relatively fixed throughout the year.
It is not conclusive
D. Tiny Tots Daycare, which boasts a 4: 1 child-to-caregiver ratio, includes any adults who are in a classroom throughout the day.
TTD's classroom ratio is higher than that if HSD, CA's claim is still not justified.
E. Looming budget cuts indicate that Happy Smiles Daycare may not be able to sustain such a low child-to-caregiver ratio in coming years.
The conclusion is about a claim boasted in the past.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Magoosh is mostly so far-fetched
Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 33115 [1]
Send PM
Expert Reply
Usually, all the NON-official material is so. Both Gmat and GRE.

They do not have the beauty and stylish of the official material. Their fluidity.

Regards
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Send PM
Any other schools mentioned here can be located in another country, on another side of the Earth. So without the additional connection to the argument, the answers with info about other schools kind of out of scope. No?
Verbal Expert
Send PM
Expert Reply
SeaGul wrote:
Any other schools mentioned here can be located in another country, on another side of the Earth. So without the additional connection to the argument, the answers with info about other schools kind of out of scope. No?

I am not sure I understood what you asked for
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 205 [0]
Send PM
SeaGul wrote:

Ideally yes, without additional information regarding the location as you said, would be treated out-of-scope. Option should have been along the lines: Kenton School, a popular school in the county or Tiny Tots Daycare, run by the county, => i.e. something to indicate its location is within the county. I assume official questions would have such info.

But, at the same time, given this question there should be more convincing options at hand, lets assume we rule out B & D and look at A, C & E =>
A. Happy Smiles Daycare has two rooms, one for children 1– 2 years old and another for those 2– 3 years old, both of which have a child-to-caregiver ratio of 5: 1.
=> doesnt give any justification for why the ratio is low, rather additional info on the premise (ratio of 3:1) which is already present.

C. The number of students enrolled in Happy Smiles Daycare remains relatively fixed throughout the year.
=> doesnt affect the argument in any manner

E. Looming budget cuts indicate that Happy Smiles Daycare may not be able to sustain such a low child-to-caregiver ratio in coming years.
=> same as above

A,C & E are easily ruled out without raising a second-thought. Now we are forced to look at options B & D and take the assumption that Kenton School & Tiny Dots are present in the county. Just for humor, lets look at the options

B. Kenton School, which has fewer than 100 students and a legitimate child-to-caregiver ratio of 6: 1, provides classes for each year up to age 6, though the classes for those over 3 years old have a child-to-caregiver ratio more than three times that of the other classes.
=> This actually makes a good case. So now we have Kenton school claiming a lower ratio < 3:1, which was Happy Smiles Daycare claim that theirs is the lowest in the county. so it is justifying the Customer Advocate's claim.

D. Tiny Tots Daycare, which boasts a 4: 1 child-to-caregiver ratio, includes any adults who are in a classroom throughout the day.
=> we dont know how the ratio will get affected by including adults, since we dont have information about them, it may very well be 3.1:1 (higher) or 2.9:1 (lower)

So if you look at B - solid reasoning, in line with the argument => constitutes a good answer, rather a better answer when considering the options. So would have gone for this.
As you said, with location information provided, option B would have been a perfect answer. Hope this makes sense
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 51 [0]
Send PM
Hello from the GRE Prep Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GRE Prep Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
Prep Club for GRE Bot
[#permalink]
Moderators:
GRE Instructor
218 posts
GRE Instructor
1029 posts