Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 12:15 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 12:15

Close

GRE Prep Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GRE score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 33099 [2]
Given Kudos: 25172
Send PM
Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 33099 [0]
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [0]
Given Kudos: 17
Send PM
Re: The evolution of intelligence among early large mammals of t [#permalink]
Could you please add a timer for this question
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 59 [0]
Send PM
can anyone suggest the best way to deal with such RCs
it was complicated and so much information was unwanted
Got confused with the details in para 2

how do I not entagle myself in this?
Verbal Expert
Send PM
Expert Reply
Watch these videos on my cloud by MGMAT https://1drv.ms/u/s!AkI6k2MqJPfW5EfQKK- ... n?e=9giDKP

Or these videos by GMATNinja https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hXWVCiy ... HjkFJFfnhq

The second is a playlist of 4 videos

Then back to me via private message after exhausted them.

Regards
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
GRE 1: Q165 V154
Send PM
''The range through these states is mediated by the arousal system, a network of tracts converging from sensory systems to integrating centers in the brain stem.''
I thought this line referred to the Question 9's option (E). I chose (D) instead of (E). Anyone has a better explanation to the question 9.
Right of the bat, I crossed (A) and (B) which were obviously wrong. I had also concluded that (C) was incorrect from paragraph 2, but failed to make connections to (D).
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 35 [0]
Given Kudos: 38
Send PM
Hello @Carcass

For the first one... which would be the evidence that we can find in the text related with "lower and higher levels of consciousness?

I didn't pick C because of that...

Kind regards!
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 307 [0]
Given Kudos: 24
Send PM
Carcass wrote:

Explanation

2.C
Choice C is correct. The “hungry lizard’s instinctive snap” is contrasted with the mammal’s higher level of awareness. Choices A and B are incorrect. The example of the hungry
lizard provides a contrast; it does not demonstrate a similarity or extend the author’s argument. Choices D and E are incorrect. Brutality is not mentioned in the passage as a characteristic of predators, and there is no suggestion that all animals lack consciousness.

Hi Carcass,

I am not able to comprehend this sentence. " The predator is searchingly aggressive, inner-directed, tuned by the nervous system and the adrenal hormones, but aware in a sense closer to human consciousness than, say, a hungry lizard’s instinctive snap at a passing beetle."

This sentence says that the predator is aggressive and attuned for its prey and also aware closer to human consciousness than lizard's snap. How then lizard's snap is considered as low consciousness?
Verbal Expert
Send PM
Expert Reply
Often , I reply to the student about a question or a passage on a rubber stamp. without thinking too much

However, when I focus on a sentence like this I see all the beauties, the grammar at its finest by ETS. I.E, I am astonished for such stuff

Now, the student sometimes focus on the sentence itself but it is also important to stick around it: before or after. You could have important clues

Quote:
For both, arousal attunes the animal to what is ahead. Perhaps it does not experience forethought as we know it, but the animal does experience something like it.

The animal is freaking out about what is in front of it. It does not experience what we do have in the frontal cortex of our brain the same stimuli BUT something very close to this process

This is the key also to grasp the following sentence

Quote:
The predator is searchingly aggressive, inner-directed, tuned by the nervous system and the adrenal hormones, but aware in a sense closer to human consciousness than, say, a hungry lizard’s instinctive snap at a passing beetle.

it is also better to rearrange the sentence above. Otherwise, considering it very complex and with incidental phrases, you loose the grasp if necessary

The predator is searchingly aggressive, inner-directed, tuned by the nervous system and the adrenal hormones, but aware in a sense closer to human consciousness than, say, a hungry lizard’s instinctive snap at a passing beetle.

The predator hunts the prey in an aggressive manner. Ok so far

Its aggressiveness is unleashed by BOTH the nervous system and the adrenal hormones. Ok the process has a kick start thanks to these two factors at the same time or one at time....it does not matter which is which

HOWEVER

this instinct, the animal knows perfectly it. It is aware of this process in its mind (see my previous sentence similar to the human beings)

AND this process is close to that of human's way of thinking (consciousness) than an animal per se ( say, a hungry lizard’s instinctive snap at a passing beetle.)

Rearranging the meaning and try to get the gist of the problem

When they attack a beetle, that reaction to capture it APPARENTLY is a process based on a simple and direct instinct BUT in reality, it is a process that the animal has in mind, clearly.

And this way of acting is similar to the process we have in our mind which is immensely more complex than other species in the animal kingdom on our planet.

I hope this helps

Regards
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 45 [1]
Given Kudos: 23
Send PM
I just got one answer right :)
I felt the passage was easy to read and understand at first since it didn't have a hard vocabulary but my analytical skills didn't help me in answering the questions .

I would like to know for the 3 rd answer why E cannot be considered? It does mention that one of the reasons for intelligence is the past experiences of that the mammals can connect . Though A is also mentioned in the passage directly .

And for the 4th question where is this D) an increase in selectivity with respect to stimuli -- mentioned?
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 2118 [0]
Given Kudos: 140
GRE 1: Q168 V157

GRE 2: Q167 V161
Send PM
Hey,

So this was an easy passage.

For Q3:

We are asked for the reason for the improvement in brain function. Choice E, states that capacity is improved and yes that is correct but it is certainly not the reason why the brain function improved. It just states an improvement but not a reason.

For Q4:

Consider this from the passage: From the more relaxed to the more vigorous levels, sensitivity to novelty is increased. The organism is more awake, more vigilant; this increased vigilance results in the apprehension of ever more subtle signals as the organism becomes more sensitive to its surroundings.

From this choice D is inferred. Plus you can go with POE(process of elimination) and only choice E will remain.

aishumurali wrote:
I just got one answer right :)
I felt the passage was easy to read and understand at first since it didn't have a hard vocabulary but my analytical skills didn't help me in answering the questions .

I would like to know for the 3 rd answer why E cannot be considered? It does mention that one of the reasons for intelligence is the past experiences of that the mammals can connect . Though A is also mentioned in the passage directly .

And for the 4th question where is this D) an increase in selectivity with respect to stimuli -- mentioned?
Prep Club for GRE Bot
[#permalink]
Moderators:
GRE Instructor
218 posts
GRE Instructor
1029 posts