Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 02:50 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 02:50

Close

GRE Prep Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GRE score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 33114 [19]
Given Kudos: 25174
Send PM
Most Helpful Community Reply
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 918 [12]
Given Kudos: 0
General Discussion
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Send PM
Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 33114 [1]
Send PM
Re: The first mention of slavery in the statutes of the English [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Sure :)

However, give me the time to write down. It is tough, seven questions and on top of that time-consuming.

Be patience, please.

Regards
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 272 [0]
Given Kudos: 97
Send PM
Please help explain the answers. I couldn't fully understand the passage. If you can summarize in an easy language, that would help tremendously
Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 33114 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
Tomorrow, I will address it. :)

No worries
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Send PM
Explanation ?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 66 [0]
Given Kudos: 15
GRE 1: Q165 V157

GRE 2: Q165 V156

GRE 3: Q166 V159
Send PM
Man this looked difficult. Passage was easy questions were pretty hard.

I want to ask in Q27 , why option D is wrong ?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
GRE 1: Q165 V154
Send PM
I marked (b) for question 27.
(E) The introduction is more likely to be explained by reference to the history of Black people in the colonies l?efore 1660 than by reference to the improving position of White servants during and after the 1660's.

The correct answer is referencing the white servants improving postion, isnt it the opposite?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 73 [0]
Send PM
I think Q27 is the most difficult question. I marked B, but the correct answer is E. I think that is E because Handlins argument is that introduction of slavery was due to the improving of white servants:

Quote:
The Handlins explain the appearance of legal slavery by arguing that, during the 1660's, the position of White servants was improving relative to that of Black servants.

And the author is not agree with this.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
GRE 1: Q165 V154
Send PM
The question has this part "the author be most likely to agree?"
and you said, @jgastelor. The author doest not agree to this ?
I did not understand what you wrote.
Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 33114 [3]
Send PM
Expert Reply
This was really tough

As per the passage

The first mention of slavery in the statutes of the English colonies of North America does not occur until after 1660-some forty years after the importation of the first Black people. Lest we think that slavery existed in fact before it did in law, Oscar and Mary Handlin assure us that the status of Black people down to the 1660s was that of servants.

This is the key phrase: in the case, we think slavery was already recognized in north America BEFORE the law, Handling tells us before that black people were only servants. I.E. the slavery did not exist.

A critique of the Handlins' interpretation of why legal slavery did not appear until the 1660s suggests that assumptions about the relationship between slavery and racial prejudice should be reexamined and that explanations for the different treatment of Black slaves in North and South America should be expanded.

The Handlins explain the appearance of legal slavery by arguing that, during the 1660s, the position of White servants was improving relative to that of Black servants.

Stil Handling made a comparison to show us the slavery existed BEFORE 1660 comparing the status of white servants and black. I.E. if the whites were servants and black people were as well, then the slavery BEFORE 1660 existed. It was already in north America.

The rest of the passage basically tells us that this WAS NOT TRUE

This is the reason why E is correct

D is not mentioned because D compares two-time frames and E instead compares two status or de.facto situations.

Hope this helps
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 173 [0]
Given Kudos: 96
Send PM
Q. 22:
I chose B because I understood that otherwise indicate the opposite of improve, i.e: when I say: she said that the tornado was shocking, but Mary said other clues that indicate otherwise.

May someone clarifies more?
Verbal Expert
Send PM
Expert Reply
The question is

Which of the following is the most logical inference to be drawn from the passage about the effects of "several acts of the Maryland and Virginia legislatures" passed during and after the 1660's?

(A) The acts negatively affected the pre-1660's position of Black as well as of White servants.

Nothing did in this manner by the Acts

(B) The acts had the effect of impairing rather than improving the position of White servants relative to what it had been before the 1660's.

Nothing is stated by the passage that the Acts caused the situation worsening

(C) The acts had a different effect on the position of White servants than did many of the acts passed during this time by the legislatures of -other colonies.

No different effect

(D) The acts, at the very least, caused the position of White servants to remain no better than it had been before the 1660's.

The passage says

Quote:
he Handlins explain the appearance of legal slavery by arguing that, during the 1660's, the position of White servants was improving relative to that of Black servants. Thus, the Handlins contend, Black and White servants heretofore treated alike, each attained a different status. There are, however, important objections to this argument. First, the Handlins cannot adequately demonstrate that the White servant's position was improving during and after the 1660's; several acts of the Maryland and Virginia legislatures indicate otherwise.

So the Acts sid the exact contrary what Handlins said. AT THE VERY LEAST they were neutral

(E) The acts, at the very least, tended to reflect the attitudes toward Black servants that already existed before the 1660's.

No attitude is mentioned

You infer too much. What is the right answer is in the PASSAGE
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 66 [0]
Given Kudos: 15
GRE 1: Q165 V157

GRE 2: Q165 V156

GRE 3: Q166 V159
Send PM
12 minutes 35 seconds , got 6/7 , had to choose "Least agree" ended up choosing most agree for Q23
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Given Kudos: 14
Send PM
Can someone please explain question 23 in detail?

23. With which of the following statements regarding the status of Black people in the English colonies of North America before the 1660's would the author be LEAST likely to agree?

(A) Although Black people were not legally considered to be slaves, they were often called slaves.
(B) Although subject to some discrimination, Black people had a higher legal status than they did after the 1660's.
(C) Although sometimes subject to lifetime servitude, Black people were not legally considered to be slaves.
(D) Although often not treated the same as White people, Black people, like many White people, possessed the legal status of servants.
(E) Although apparently subject to more discrimination after 1630 than before 1630, Black people from 1620 to the 1660's were legally considered to be servants.

TIA
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 2118 [3]
Given Kudos: 140
GRE 1: Q168 V157

GRE 2: Q167 V161
Send PM
Hi arorni ,

The question asks for a sentence the author would LEAST likely to be agree.

In para 2, it is stated that: It is true that before the 1660's Black people were rarely called slaves.

In the option A, it is mentioned that 'Although Black people were not legally considered to be slaves, they were often called slaves.'

So, it is the answer. The author says they were rarely called slaves while A states that slaves were often called slaves.

Please ask if the doubt still remains.

Regards,
R
arorni wrote:
Can someone please explain question 23 in detail?

23. With which of the following statements regarding the status of Black people in the English colonies of North America before the 1660's would the author be LEAST likely to agree?

(A) Although Black people were not legally considered to be slaves, they were often called slaves.
(B) Although subject to some discrimination, Black people had a higher legal status than they did after the 1660's.
(C) Although sometimes subject to lifetime servitude, Black people were not legally considered to be slaves.
(D) Although often not treated the same as White people, Black people, like many White people, possessed the legal status of servants.
(E) Although apparently subject to more discrimination after 1630 than before 1630, Black people from 1620 to the 1660's were legally considered to be servants.

TIA
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Given Kudos: 14
Send PM
Thanks. Got it.
Verbal Expert
Send PM
Expert Reply
If it is not mentioned why we should assume they are MENTIONED............
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Given Kudos: 25
Send PM
How will you approach this passage if it appears on your test?
I am struggling with RCs especially long passages. Any help in this regard will be great. Carcass
Prep Club for GRE Bot
[#permalink]
 1   2   
Moderators:
GRE Instructor
218 posts
GRE Instructor
1029 posts