Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 23:20 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 23:20

Close

GRE Prep Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GRE score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 33099 [10]
Given Kudos: 25173
Send PM
Most Helpful Community Reply
GRE Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 1360 [12]
Given Kudos: 24
Send PM
General Discussion
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 272 [0]
Given Kudos: 97
Send PM
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 918 [3]
Given Kudos: 0
Re: The dark regions in the starry night sky are not pockets in [#permalink]
mind wrote:
For q18, why not A?

I referred to these two lines to guide my answer to A "The average density of interstellar material in the vicinity of our Sun is 1,000 to 10,000 times less than the best terrestrial laboratory vacuum. It is only because of the enormous interstellar distances that so little material per unit of volume becomes so significant. "

I basically understood this line as the following: the density of interstellar material is so low due to enormous distances between stars. So A makes sense to me that "the density of interstellar material is higher where the distances between stars are shorter." Please explain why did I get this question wrong

Because of the fact that the interstellar distances are "enormous", the density (material per unit of volume) BECOMES so significant. That means if the distances were short, then the density would not become so significant. So, A is wrong.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 272 [0]
Given Kudos: 97
Send PM
theBrahmaTiger wrote:
mind wrote:
For q18, why not A?

I referred to these two lines to guide my answer to A "The average density of interstellar material in the vicinity of our Sun is 1,000 to 10,000 times less than the best terrestrial laboratory vacuum. It is only because of the enormous interstellar distances that so little material per unit of volume becomes so significant. "

I basically understood this line as the following: the density of interstellar material is so low due to enormous distances between stars. So A makes sense to me that "the density of interstellar material is higher where the distances between stars are shorter." Please explain why did I get this question wrong

Because of the fact that the interstellar distances are "enormous", the density (material per unit of volume) BECOMES so significant. That means if the distances were short, then the density would not become so significant. So, A is wrong.

Got it now, thanks for the explanation
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Given Kudos: 15
Send PM
I didn't understand the correct answer of question 19. Option A seems more logical compared to variant C. Could you explain in a much simpler way pls?
Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 33099 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
Samamammadova8888 wrote:
I didn't understand the correct answer of question 19. Option A seems more logical compared to variant C. Could you explain in a much simpler way pls?

What means "seems more logical" ???
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [1]
Given Kudos: 15
Send PM
Carcass wrote:
Samamammadova8888 wrote:

"It is only because of the enormous interstellar distances that so little material per unit of volume becomes so significant"
Due to this sentence, can't we infer option A?
Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 33099 [2]
Send PM
Expert Reply
Ok

let try to understand the two options

the passage states clearly the following

Although its visual effect is so pronounced, dust is only a minor constituent of the material, extremely low in density, that lies between the stars.

The phrase above means that EVEN THOUGH dust is a minor part in the interstellar space ITS EFFECT to hide stars or planet is HUGE

so it comes to C as correct answer

However,

(A) little of the interstellar material in it seems substantial

First of all substantial is different from significant. Something could be important (significant) and NOT substantial

Secondly A is false because we do know that dust is NOT substantial. Itis a minor part of the interstellar material but its effect to obscure the celestial corps is HUGE. But its presence is a minor part. Most of the matter is made by

Dust accounts for about one percent of the total mass of interstellar matter. The rest is hydrogen and helium gas, with small amounts of other elements.

So, A is false

Honestly, I do not know why the students DO NOT read. It is simply this. Be focus and read.

IF all the students did this, the GRE would be a frolic through the park

Regards
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 46
Send PM
Carcass wrote:
Samamammadova8888 wrote:

Great explanation!! Carcass
Prep Club for GRE Bot
[#permalink]
Moderators:
GRE Instructor
218 posts
GRE Instructor
1029 posts