Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 15:11 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 15:11

Close

GRE Prep Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GRE score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 33111 [4]
Given Kudos: 25173
Send PM
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 191 [2]
Given Kudos: 0
GRE 1: Q160 V163
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 45 [0]
Given Kudos: 23
Send PM
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 837 [1]
Given Kudos: 194
GRE 1: Q167 V156
GPA: 4
WE:Analyst (Investment Banking)
Send PM
The 1960's witnessed two profound social movements: the civi [#permalink]
aishumurali wrote:
I feel this statement is overly twisted , is there any way to understand the fact explained in this statement?

Hi There!

Let me try helping you!

Solved this in 7 mins with 3/4 correct.

The 1960's witnessed two profound social movements: the civil rights movement and the movement protesting the war in Vietnam. Although they overlapped in time, they were largely distinct. For a brief moment in 1967, however, it appeared that the two movements might unite under the leadership of Martin Luther King, Jr. King's role in the antiwar movement appears to require little explanation since he was the foremost advocate of nonviolence of his time. But King's stance on the Vietnam War cannot be explained in terms of pacifism alone. After all, he was something of a latecomer to the antiwar movement, even though by 1965 he was convinced that the role of the United States in the war was indefensible. Why then the two years that passed before he translated his private misgivings into public dissent? Perhaps he believed that he couldn't criticize American foreign policy without endangering the support for civil rights that he had won from the federal government.

Focus on the highlighted parts. Picking up cues such as these helps to not get into detail, but still understand the whole picture.

The author says that there are two profound social moments- x & y. Although(there is some contrast) they overlapped in time, they were distinct. However(Double contrast) you know the author might say that although they were distinct they might be similar under MLK. And then the author explains the role as to why the movement united under MLK. Then again, this cannot be aptly explained, because MLK was a late comer in the movement and further delineates his view by asking and question and presents his view on the question.

Let me know if you need further help & I hope this helps!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 45 [0]
Given Kudos: 23
Send PM
Re: The 1960's witnessed two profound social movements: the civi [#permalink]
Thank you for the fantastic summary . I will start practising summarising these passages more often . I forgot to post the sentence which i found to be twisted Perhaps he believed that he couldn't criticize American foreign policy without endangering the support for civil rights that he had won from the federal government.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 9
Send PM
what does this bolded part means in the sentence- "Why then the two years that passed before he translated his private misgivings into public dissent?"
Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 33111 [0]
Given Kudos: 25173
Send PM
Expert Reply
DeepKapoor123 wrote:
what does this bolded part means in the sentence- "Why then the two years that passed before he translated his private misgivings into public dissent?"

misgivings=a feeling of doubt or suspicion

Two years before to say what he thought was wrong , saying it publicly

Regards
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [1]
Given Kudos: 12
Send PM
aishumurali wrote:
Thank you for the fantastic summary . I will start practising summarising these passages more often . I forgot to post the sentence which i found to be twisted Perhaps he believed that he couldn't criticize American foreign policy without endangering the support for civil rights that he had won from the federal government.

I am late to the party, but anyway here are my two cents. " This sentence explains why it took 2 years for MLK to support antiwar movement and goes like " if criticize the American policy then he might put Civil rights support in risk."

Anyway better version I got from CHAT GPT " This sentence suggests that a person (referred to as "he") believed that if he criticized American foreign policy, it would jeopardize the support he had received from the federal government for civil rights. In other words, the person may have believed that if he spoke out against American foreign policy, the government might withdraw its support for civil rights, which he had previously secured."
Prep Club for GRE Bot
[#permalink]
Moderators:
GRE Instructor
218 posts
GRE Instructor
1029 posts