Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 12:48 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 12:48

Close

GRE Prep Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GRE score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 33099 [6]
Given Kudos: 25173
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 33099 [0]
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 272 [0]
Given Kudos: 97
Send PM
Re: The more that is discovered about the intricate organization [#permalink]
All correct, except 22. Can someone help explain? I chose C, wasn't sure about the meaning of A, therefore did not eliminate A totally but ended up going for C
Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 33099 [1]
Send PM
Expert Reply
22. The author uses all of the following to clarify the distinction between imprecision and gross mistake in neural development EXCEPT

(A) classification of borderline phenomena

Classification is NOT useful to clarify. Correct. NOT in the passage.

(B) a description of the relationship between the phenomena denoted by each term

it is a clarification. In the passage.. wrong

(C) specific examples of the phenomena denoted by each term

we do have in the passage. Specific examples. Wrong

(D) an explanation of at least one of the key terms involved

The explanation serves to clarify. In the passage. Wrong

(E) analogies to other types of phenomena

Analogies are similitudes. In the passage. Wrong
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 68 [0]
Send PM
Question 23? expl
Verbal Expert
Send PM
Expert Reply
esaktasynov wrote:
Question 23? expl

I have explained just above

Regards
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 68 [0]
Send PM
Ehm, there is only q19 and q22 answers explained if I'm not wrong? But no expl for q23
Verbal Expert
Send PM
Expert Reply
I. It is universally accepted among information theorists that codes and languages can be made mistake-resistant by incorporating redundancy

II. the more precisely a system is specified, using a given limited amount of information, the greater the danger of gross mistakes.

II is wrong

III. However, since the amount of space available in any information system is limited, increased redundancy results in decreased precision.

III says the exact contrary

III is wrong

A is the only true answer so is the only correct one.

A is the answer
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 52 [0]
Send PM
dpraneeth10 wrote:
Carcass wrote:
22. The author uses all of the following to clarify the distinction between imprecision and gross mistake in neural development EXCEPT

(A) classification of borderline phenomena

Classification is NOT useful to clarify. Correct. NOT in the passage.

(B) a description of the relationship between the phenomena denoted by each term

it is a clarification. In the passage.. wrong

(C) specific examples of the phenomena denoted by each term

You could be more clear

we do have in the passage. Specific examples. Wrong

(D) an explanation of at least one of the key terms involved

The explanation serves to clarify. In the passage. Wrong

(E) analogies to other types of phenomena

Analogies are similitudes. In the passage. Wrong

You could be more clear
Verbal Expert
Send PM
Expert Reply
Sir,

what is still not clear ??

I will try to reframe once again
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Can anyone explain Q21.
Am confused in between A and D.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 53 [0]
Given Kudos: 20
Send PM
Carcass wrote:
The answer which is B is in the last sentence of the passage

Quote:
The overall scheme by which genetic information is rationed out in organisms, therefore, must involve a compromise between two conflicting priorities: precision and the avoidance of gross mistakes.

The author suggests which of the following about the findings of information theorists?

(A) Their findings provocatively challenge the standard explanation of redundancy in genes.

No mentioned in the passage the challenge. Instead, they help to have more insights

(B) Their findings provide useful insights into understanding the rationing of genetic information.

Correct. The sentence above illustrates just this.

(C) Their findings help to explain why imprecision can occur in neural development but not why gross mistakes can occur.

No. Neither they know why we do have gross mistakes

(D) Their findings suggest that genes may be able to specify neural development more accurately than had previously been thought.

No mentioned in the passage

(E) Their findings support the work of those who use computer operations as models for understanding genetic control.

Out of scope

The passage uses Information theorists once using the word accepts "It is universally accepted among information theorists that codes and languages can be made mistake-resistant by incorporating redundancy. ". It states just about the information theory view on the fact. Can we deduce that further passage is also about the information theorists. I get confused when the question seeks for such flexibility. Do you have some other examples like this.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 76 [3]
Given Kudos: 886
Send PM
You are correctly identified the part of the passage that mentions information theorists, which is a great first step.

Once u find the key words, in this case "information theorists," you can begin trying to answer the question in the manner detailed above. That is, go through all the different answer choices and cross out the ones that u find incorrect based on the information in the paragraph. As it was stated before, this time, the evidence needed to choose the correct answer is in the last sentence.

What makes such a question difficult is that the information needed to solve it could be in that paragraph where it is mentioned or u may need additional information from the passage as a whole like in this example: https://gre.myprepclub.com/forum/we-can-distinguish-three-different-realms-of-matter-three-l-17237.html#p93435

If you read through the paragraph where the key words are present and still can't answer the question, then it means u have to search for clues that help u answer the question elsewhere in the passage.

If you encounter such a tough problem on the GRE, it is best to make a guess, flag the question, and if u have enough time left after finishing the section, return to the question to try to solve it. What you don't want to do is get so focused or frustrated by the question that you waste time and mental energy on it that you may need for the rest of the test.

Hope this was helpful.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 53 [0]
Given Kudos: 20
Send PM
That was the best example I have seen. I am really thankful for that. I am weak in such sort of questions. If you have list or any sort of place to practice it, I would be extremely grateful.
Verbal Expert
Send PM
Expert Reply
Aakash0101raj wrote:
That was the best example I have seen. I am really thankful for that. I am weak in such sort of questions. If you have list or any sort of place to practice it, I would be extremely grateful.

questions dealing with roman numbers or rc passages in general ?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 38
Send PM
Hello, all I took around 19 minutes and got 6/7. Now I am wondering if investing so much time in the passage is worth it not?
This particular passage was more challenging than we usually encounter on GRE. Carcass how do we tackle such difficult passages?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [1]
Given Kudos: 38
Send PM
17. Which of the following best expresses the main idea of the passage?

(A) Although studies of isogenic organisms have shown that all organisms are subject to developmental variations, there is still scientific debate over the exact causes of these variations.
- Scientific debate? There are no mentions of any debate in the passage. If there were a debate there would mentions like XYZ scientist said this which was contradicted by abc scientist and so on and hence incorrect.

(B) Because of limitations on the amount of information contained in the genes of organisms, developing nervous systems are subject to two basic kinds of error, the likelihood of one of which is reduced only when the likelihood of the other is increased.
- This is correct. This is the overall theme of the passage which is focused on explaining what is imprecision and what is gross mistake. Further, there are examples given to explain this.
Relevant section of paragraph:
“There exists a trade-off; the more precisely a system is specified, using a given limited amount of information, the greater the danger of gross mistakes. The overall scheme by which genetic information is rationed out in organisms, therefore, must involve a compromise between two conflicting priorities: precision and the avoidance of gross mistakes.”

(C) The complexity of an organism's genetic information means that much of the unusual variation that occurs among organisms can best be explained as the result of developmental mistakes.
This is not what is being conveyed by the passage. This is just one of the examples out of the whole picture and hence incorrect.

(D) New findings about the nature of the genetic control of neural development support the work of; some scientists who argue that the computer is an extremely useful model for understanding the nervous system.

Computer is given just as an example or analogy. The main idea of the passage is not to explain that the computer is extremely useful model for understanding nervous system.
(E) The major discovery made by scientists studying the genetic control of neural development is that both imprecision and gross developmental error can be traced to specific types of mutations in specific genes.
There is no reference of development being traced to specific types of mutations.

18. According to the passage, one of the reasons it has been assumed that there is an important random element in human neural development is that

(A) genes cannot specify certain types of developmental processes as well as they can others
- No mention of this in the passage. The question says “according to the passage” and hence the option needs to be mentioned explicity or at least in similar meaning.
(B) the intricacy of the nervous system allows small developmental errors to occur without harmful effects
- No mention of this in the passage. The question says “according to the passage” and hence the option needs to be mentioned explicity or at least in similar meaning.

(C). the amount of information contained in the genes is less than the amount necessary to specify the location of the neurons
- This is exactly mentioned in the passage .
Human genes contain too little information even to specify which hemisphere of the brain each of a human's 1011 neurons should occupy, let alone the hundreds of connections that each neuron makes.
(D) the number of neurons in the human brain varies greatly from individual to individual
No mention of this in the paragraph. In fact it is stating the opposite of the below. ETS is trying to confuse us.
Human genes contain too little information even to specify which hemisphere of the brain each of a human's 1011 neurons should occupy

(E) it is theoretically impossible for an organism to protect itself completely from gross developmental mistakes
The passage does not speak of this in fact what is says is :
Thus, imprecision is a form of inaccuracy inherent within the limits of design, but mistakes are forms of gross fallibility.
This means imprecision is something that will always be there but the passage is silent about whether prevention of gross mistakes is impossible.
Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 33099 [1]
Send PM
Expert Reply
akshayvmali wrote:
Hello, all I took around 19 minutes and got 6/7. Now I am wondering if investing so much time in the passage is worth it not?
This particular passage was more challenging than we usually encounter on GRE. Carcass how do we tackle such difficult passages?

The same way I did for this passage

https://gre.myprepclub.com/forum/tradition ... tml#p96299

19 minutes is way too much. The time you spent just for only one is almost the total time to address the whole verbal section, which is 35 minutes

see more here on time management https://gre.myprepclub.com/forum/gre-time- ... tml#p57079

let me know further sir
Prep Club for GRE Bot
[#permalink]
Moderators:
GRE Instructor
218 posts
GRE Instructor
1029 posts