Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 10:15 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 10:15

Close

GRE Prep Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GRE score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 33117 [4]
Given Kudos: 25175
Send PM
Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 33117 [0]
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 37 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [4]
Given Kudos: 12
Send PM
Re: Consider three fish swimming together in a school. The space [#permalink]
according to the passage predator can attack when it is in any one of the sphere(imagine fish is at center of a sphere),also they mentioned three fishes overlap as much as possible that means the three spheres coincide one on other.
In option A ,the possibility for predator to attack as a whole is not much greater than(there is no difference) attacking individual.
remaining options can't be inferred
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 37 [0]
Send PM
Thank you.
Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 33117 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
Given: Consider three fish swimming together in a school. The space within which each fish can be seen by predator Y is defined by a sphere centered on the fish and having a radius that is the maximum distance Y can see. The school is vulnerable to attack when Y is within one of the three spheres. The spheres overlap to a great extent, since the fish are in a compact group.

Asked: Which of the following is a reliable inference to be drawn from the passage above?

Since Y >> distance between fishes ; Since the fish are in a compact group and the spheres overlap to a great extent
Vulnerability of a single fish ~ Vulnerability of the group of fish ~ Vulnerability of the school

(A) The vulnerability to attack of the school as a whole is not much greater than the vulnerability to attack of any one fish in the school.

(B) There is less chance that predator Y will attack a school of four fish than that it will attack a school of three fish.
Out of scope
(C) Fish who swim I schools are less likely to be devoured by predators than are fish who do not swim in schools.
Out of scope
(D) The maximum distance at which an individual fish is visible depends less on the size of the fish than on whether the fish is swimming in a school.
Irrelevant
(E) The maximum distance at which predator Y can see its prey is increased if Y is itself swimming in a school of Y’s.
Out of context

IMO A
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 51 [0]
Send PM
Hello from the GRE Prep Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GRE Prep Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
Prep Club for GRE Bot
[#permalink]
Moderators:
GRE Instructor
218 posts
GRE Instructor
1029 posts