Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 19:28 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 19:28

Close

GRE Prep Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GRE score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 33099 [9]
Given Kudos: 25173
Send PM
Most Helpful Community Reply
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [5]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
General Discussion
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 334 [0]
Given Kudos: 299
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Send PM
Re: Extraordinary creative activity has been characterized as re [#permalink]
can someone explain why the answer to question 24 is not E?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [2]
Send PM
chickanduck wrote:
can someone explain why the answer to question 24 is not E?

"Shakespeare's Hamlet is not a tract about the behavior of indecisive princes or the uses of political power; nor is Picasso's painting Guernica primarily a propositional statement about the Spanish Civil War or the evils of fascism."
This sentence makes option E present for the inference and that's why it is not a correct choice.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 73 [0]
Send PM
I failed only in one question: number 26. I chose the option D because I felt more comfortable with it but in the text the option E is found literally:
Quote:
What highly creative artistic activity produces is not a new generalization'that transcends established limits, but rather an aesthetic particular
Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 33099 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
Is it a question sir ??
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 19 [0]
Send PM
I don't quite get qns 26 too
Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 33099 [2]
Send PM
Expert Reply
For the sciences, a new theory is the goal and end result of the creative act. Innovative science produces new propositions in terms of which diverse phenomena can be related to one another in more coherent ways. Such phenomena as a brilliant diamond or a nesting bird are relegated to the role of data, serving as the means for formulating or testing a new theory. The goal of highly creative art is very different:

What highly creative artistic activity produces is not a new generalization'that transcends established limits, but rather an aesthetic particular.

From the sentence above the science must produce a generalization or a theory which is consistent with the facts at stake.

Art instead works at the exact opposite.........

For the 26 question therefore we imply that science produces a generalization

E is the answer
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 52 [3]
Send PM
23 Is probably the staright forward amongst all them

Explanation : The author sites the example of operas of the Florentine Camerata to state that they are not considered for their aesthetic even though they embody new body of organization .This is seen in the second passage from line 4.
The option that fits in well with this logic is B .

IF YOU LIKE THIS EXPLANATION GIVE KUDO'S THIS WOULD HELP ME TO TAKE PRACTICE TESTS
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
For Q26, I can understand why (D) is correct, however, can someone explain why (E) is incorrect. I have not seen an instance of anyone claiming that the goal of extraordinary creative activity in the arts differs from that of extraordinary creative activity in the sciences, besides the author himself. I thought it was meant as someone quoting it explicitly excluding the author.
Verbal Expert
Send PM
Expert Reply
strategist wrote:
For Q26, I can understand why (D) is correct, however, can someone explain why (E) is incorrect. I have not seen an instance of anyone claiming that the goal of extraordinary creative activity in the arts differs from that of extraordinary creative activity in the sciences, besides the author himself. I thought it was meant as someone quoting it explicitly excluding the author.

Wait

In the passage the [spoiler] OA was mismatched. It was positioned ABOVE the question. I assume you eyed that BELOW the question. Or something like that

Now I fixed it. Sorry if you see a lot of questions without the OA or passages like this one.

We had the major upgrade of the board and we are fixing all the timers in each discussion in the RC forum. Considering we have to do it or edit MANUALLY. You know is a long process :dazed

Anyway, the OA for the 26th questions is E

Ask if something is still confusing
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Yeah, Carcass, I get it, however, the question numbers have got jumbled here as well. You can see the 1st problem, below it has 21. has number written as well. As for the problem I'm having doubt is this one:-

Quote:
The passage supplies information for answering all of the following questions EXCEPT:

(A) Has unusual creative activity been characterized as revolutionary?
(B) Did 'Beethoven work within a musical tradition that also included Handel and Bach?
(C) Is Mozart's The Marriage of Figaro an example of a creative work that transcended limits?
(D) Who besides Monteverdi wrote music that the author would consider to embody new principles of organization and to be of high aesthetic value?
(E) Does anyone claim that the goal of extraordinary creative activity in the arts differs from that of extraordinary creative activity in the
sciences?

I'm not understanding why (E) is incorrect as I have not seen an instance of anyone claiming that the goal of extraordinary creative activity in the arts differs from that of extraordinary creative activity in the sciences, besides the author himself. I thought it was meant as someone quoting it explicitly excluding the author
Verbal Expert
Send PM
Expert Reply
Let me clear here. There is always a reason behind

Considering that this is a passage from the Big Book OG, when we posted it, we maintained the unfolding numbering of the BB table.

Now, question 21 is the first one and clearly the OA is the timer above number 1

make sense now or still not ??
Verbal Expert
Send PM
Extraordinary creative activity has been characterized as re [#permalink]
Expert Reply
strategist wrote:
Yeah, Carcass, I get it, however, the question numbers have got jumbled here as well. You can see the 1st problem, below it has 21. has number written as well. As for the problem I'm having doubt is this one:-

Quote:
The passage supplies information for answering all of the following questions EXCEPT:

(A) Has unusual creative activity been characterized as revolutionary?
(B) Did 'Beethoven work within a musical tradition that also included Handel and Bach?
(C) Is Mozart's The Marriage of Figaro an example of a creative work that transcended limits?
(D) Who besides Monteverdi wrote music that the author would consider to embody new principles of organization and to be of high aesthetic value?
(E) Does anyone claim that the goal of extraordinary creative activity in the arts differs from that of extraordinary creative activity in the
sciences?

I'm not understanding why (E) is incorrect as I have not seen an instance of anyone claiming that the goal of extraordinary creative activity in the arts differs from that of extraordinary creative activity in the sciences, besides the author himself. I thought it was meant as someone quoting it explicitly excluding the author

E is CORRECT as the answer. D is INCORRECT

This is an except question: you have to find that is LESS relevant or not mentioned in the passage clearly or not
Verbal Expert
Send PM
Expert Reply
Quote:
(E) Does anyone claim that the goal of extraordinary creative activity in the arts differs from that of extraordinary creative activity in the sciences?

Differences between highly creative art and highly creative science arise in part from a difference in their goals. For the sciences, a new theory is the goal and end result of the creative act.

So you can answer E, which is a question, in the passage
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
can you please explain q27 ??

why D is not correct option in q27 ??
Verbal Expert
Send PM
Expert Reply
The last sentence pf the FIRST paragraph tells you the role of the next one

Quote:
Aesthetic particulars produced by the highly creative artist extend or exploit, in an innovative way, the limits of an existing form, rather than transcend that form.

Which is B
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
question 5 (25) anyone ? didn't understand how A could be the answer.

25. The author regards the idea that all highly creative artistic activity transcends limits with

(A) deep skepticism
(B) strong indignation
(C) marked indifference
(D) moderate amusement
(E) sharp derision
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 837 [2]
Given Kudos: 194
GRE 1: Q167 V156
GPA: 4
WE:Analyst (Investment Banking)
Send PM
saurabhJ007 wrote:
question 5 (25) anyone ? didn't understand how A could be the answer.

25. The author regards the idea that all highly creative artistic activity transcends limits with

(A) deep skepticism
(B) strong indignation
(C) marked indifference
(D) moderate amusement
(E) sharp derision

Hi There!

Lines to consider: "However, the idea that extraordinary creativity transcends established limits is misleading when it is applied to the arts, even though it may be valid for the sciences". Author finds the idea misleading when it is applied to arts, thus making option A a better choice. Author doesn't seem to indignant (option B) about the claim, he is skeptical as he thinks the idea might be valid for sciences. Other options can be easily eliminated.

Hope this helps!
Prep Club for GRE Bot
[#permalink]
 1   2   
Moderators:
GRE Instructor
218 posts
GRE Instructor
1029 posts