Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 10:57 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 10:57

Close

GRE Prep Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GRE score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 1965 [4]
Given Kudos: 0
GRE 1: Q165 V161
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 18 [0]
Send PM
Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 33099 [0]
Given Kudos: 25172
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 69 [0]
Send PM
Re: At a certain period in Earth’s history, [#permalink]
Why the answer "B" is incorrect?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Send PM
boxing506 wrote:
Why the answer "B" is incorrect?

Option B : "The first is a judgment made by the argument about a certain explanation; the second is that explanation."

Option B denotes that first one is a judgement. A judgement seems to me a complete and final result after so many analysis and investigation.
But if you read thoroughly then it might be discernible that first one is not a judgement but an approximate decision came after analysis. So, first one sounds as "hypothesis" rather " judgement".
Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 33099 [0]
Given Kudos: 25172
Send PM
Expert Reply
Explanation

The passage presents an argument and the question asks you to identify the role the portions highlighted in boldface play in that argument. The first step in responding is to read through the passage quickly to get an understanding of what is being said. Then it is possible to go back and assess how the parts of the passage fit together into an argument.
In this passage the first sentence presents two pieces of information that seem to be in conflict — the atmosphere contained almost no oxygen even though plants were producing so much of it. The second sentence presents a hypothetical explanation that has been proposed for reconciling the discrepancy — that oxygen was absorbed by iron.
The next sentence calls this hypothetical explanation inadequate and the following sentence gives a reason for that judgment — that there was insufficient iron for the proposed explanation to work. Finally, the last sentence draws the conclusion that there must have been something in addition to iron to absorb the oxygen. Since the highlighted portions in the passage represent the main content of the third and fourth sentences, the task in this question is to find the answer choice whose two parts fit those sentences’ roles. It can be seen that answer Choice D fits the requirement: the third sentence does sum up the argument’s position about a hypothesis, and the fourth sentence gives grounds for the third. Therefore Choice D is the correct answer.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 59 [0]
Send PM
can you explain why B is incorrect?
I did understand the paragraph well but took around 2.5 min.

isnt the second part of D incorrect?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 17 [0]
Send PM
Why the answer can't be E)?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 76 [2]
Given Kudos: 37
Send PM
If you can break down the pra in relevant parts, the solution would be a simple one..

At a certain period in Earth’s history, its atmosphere contained almost no oxygen, although plants were producing vast quantities of oxygen.---(Fact) As a way of reconciling these two facts, scientists have hypothesized that nearly all of the oxygen being produced was taken up by iron on Earth’s surface.--(A Hypothesis). Clearly, however, this explanation is inadequate.---( A conclusion on the hypotheses). New studies show that the amount of iron on Earth’s surface was not sufficient to absorb anywhere near as much oxygen as was being produced.---(An evidence supporting the conclusion on hypothesis) Therefore, something in addition to the iron on Earth’s surface must have absorbed much of the oxygen produced by plant life.--( Main Conclusion)

So first boldface portion is Conclusion against the hypothesis, while second portion is evidence supporting the first part.

In the argument given, the two portions in boldface play which of the following roles?

A. The first is a claim made by the argument in support of a certain position; the second is that position.

B. The first is a judgment made by the argument about a certain explanation; the second is that explanation.

C. The first expresses the argument’s dismissal of an objection to the position it seeks to establish; the second is that position.

D. The first sums up the argument’s position with regard to a certain hypothesis; the second provides grounds for that position.

E. The first is a concession by the argument that its initial formulation of the position it seeks to establish requires modification; the second presents that position in a modified form.

D is the answer

A collection from a GMAT club member chetan2u
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 51 [0]
Send PM
Hello from the GRE Prep Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GRE Prep Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
Prep Club for GRE Bot
[#permalink]
Moderators:
GRE Instructor
218 posts
GRE Instructor
1029 posts