Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 06:01 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 06:01

Close

GRE Prep Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GRE score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 10616 [7]
Given Kudos: 0
GRE 1: Q167 V156
WE:Business Development (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
Most Helpful Expert Reply
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 10616 [5]
Given Kudos: 0
GRE 1: Q167 V156
WE:Business Development (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
General Discussion
Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 33116 [0]
Given Kudos: 25175
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 45 [0]
Given Kudos: 23
Send PM
Re: The attribution of early-nineteenth-century English [#permalink]
Can someone explain this passage in simple terms? :'(

As far as my understanding goes : -Many novels in Britain have incorrect author name printed on the title page of the novels. Also it mentions in the second line that the titles were attributed through authors acknowledgement of fictitious or mysterious work -- what does this mean?
It then states that the list of work by the author helps researchers . And then the list is here to solve old problems . And the title pages were printed without authorial consent and in a hurried manner
I am lost in understanding the lines after the 2 nd line to the last
Verbal Expert
Send PM
Expert Reply
aishumurali wrote:
Can someone explain this passage in simple terms? :'(

As far as my understanding goes : -Many novels in Britain have incorrect author name printed on the title page of the novels. Also it mentions in the second line that the titles were attributed through authors acknowledgement of fictitious or mysterious work -- what does this mean?
It then states that the list of work by the author helps researchers . And then the list is here to solve old problems . And the title pages were printed without authorial consent and in a hurried manner
I am lost in understanding the lines after the 2 nd line to the last

I will explain later if you have the patience to wait a while
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 45 [1]
Given Kudos: 23
Send PM
Hey Carcass Pls take ur time ! Thanks for being so kind :)
Verbal Expert
Send PM
Expert Reply
Let break down the entire passage to understanding something more

Notice that my explanation is the first and only thing a student should do ALWAYS with a passage. we do have millions of strategies. However, all bo8ils down to this simple step t tackle every kind of Rc passage on the GRE

The attribution of early-nineteenth-century English fiction is notoriously problematic.

Ok. In the first years/decades of the century, pinpoint the author/s of a certain fiction/book was problematic. Now, why was so I wonder?? sure lack of reliable information, or traces to go backward and so on

Fewer than half of new novels published in Britain between 1800 and 1829 had the author’s true name printed on the title page.

< of 50% of the entire fiction stories we do know between a certain temporal arc have the author printed on them. Conversely. > 50% we do not know at the moment reading the passage.

Most of these titles have subsequently been attributed, either through the author’s own acknowledgment of a previously anonymous or pseudonymous work, or through bibliographical research.

We do know the name of the author in those >50% thanks to

1) researches
2) we do know the author of X story thanks to the author that wrote a previous story and he said" hey, I wrote that X story. A sort of self reference

One important tool available to researchers is the list of earlier works “by the author” often found on title pages.

This is just a fact in the entire puzzle

But such lists are as likely to create new confusion as they are to solve old problems.

However, this tool is not reliable to pinpoint the real author

Title pages were generally prepared last in the publication process, often without full authorial assent, and in the last-minute rush to press, mistakes were frequently made.

because the front cover often had mistakes and not so precise

Going to the questions

22. The passage suggests that which of the following factors contributes to the “notoriously problematic” (line 1) nature of authorial attribution in early nineteenth century English fiction?

A The unwillingness of any writers to acknowledge their authorship of works that were originally published anonymously or pseudonymously

No lack of will mentioned in the passage

B The possibility that the title page of a work may attribute works written by other authors to the author of that work

yes mentioned

C The possibility that the author’s name printed on a title page is fictitious

yes mentioned. see my explanation above

B and C are correct

23. The passage suggests that which of the following is frequently true of the title pages of early-nineteenth-century English novels?

A The title page was prepared for printing in a hurried manner.

True. In the last minutes with mistakes

B Material on the title page was included without the author’s knowledge or approval.

yes true

C Information on the title page was deliberately falsified to make the novel more marketable.

nothing misleading is mentioned specifically or fraud

False

A and B are correct

A hard passage became super easy
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [1]
Given Kudos: 17
Send PM
Hi,

In question 22, how is B correct? I agree with passage saying that errors happen but it's limited to that. Isn't Option B taking it a little too far on inference that these errors are citing other authors work instead of his, whereas the passage doesn't say anything on this other author thing?

Is this because of the word *possibility* in option B? If so, can we infer in such manner? I only thought that inferences must be true based on info given, here it's otherwise, can anyone please explain this on how far can we infer and what signals the kind of inference seen like in this question, like any other examples besides possibility
Prep Club for GRE Bot
[#permalink]
Moderators:
GRE Instructor
218 posts
GRE Instructor
1029 posts