Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 14:45 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 14:45

Close

GRE Prep Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GRE score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 10616 [19]
Given Kudos: 0
GRE 1: Q167 V156
WE:Business Development (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
Most Helpful Expert Reply
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 10616 [10]
GRE 1: Q167 V156
WE:Business Development (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
General Discussion
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 15 [1]
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 59 [0]
Send PM
Re: Nineteenth-century architect Eugène-Emmanuel Viollet-le-Duc [#permalink]
This was tough for me
Took me 8.30 min and I got all wrong
Although, I understood the passage and made proper notes with summary.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 272 [0]
Given Kudos: 97
Send PM
Can someone please explain Q22? - I read the official explanation but still a bit confused

I was wavering between B & E, ending up not choosing the correct answer E, going with B instead.

The explanation said:
Quote:
The passage also does not discuss any obstacles to resolving the controversy, any assumptions underlying the claims in the controversy, or any reasons why pertinent evidence may have been overlooked, so Choice B is incorrect

However, I found this in the passage "modifications and renovations complicate efforts to resolve this controversy." Is this not an obtacle? or if I have a wrong definition of obstacles?
Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 33099 [1]
Given Kudos: 25173
Send PM
Expert Reply
There is not a scientific and bullet proof strategy to have the main idea of the passage. It is NOT our elogic as in the inference questions. It is related to your feeling and the overall understanding of the passage as a whole. Basically, what is going on in there. Now

Nineteenth-century architect Eugène-Emmanuel Viollet-le-Duc contended that Paris’s Notre-Dame cathedral, built primarily in the late twelfth century, was supported from the very beginning by a system of flying buttresses — a series of exterior arches (flyers) and their supports (buttresses) — which permitted the construction of taller vaulted buildings with slimmer walls and interior supports than had been possible previously.

Other commentators insist, however, that Notre-Dame did not have flying buttresses until the thirteenth or fourteenth century, when they were added to update the building aesthetically and correct its structural flaws. Although post-twelfth-century modifications and renovations complicate efforts to resolve this controversy — all pre-fifteenth-century flyers have been replaced, and the buttresses have been rebuilt and/or resurfacedit is nevertheless possible to tell that both the nave and the choir, the church’s two major parts, have always had flying buttresses. It is clear, now that nineteenth-century paint and plaster have been removed, that the nave’s lower buttresses date from the twelfth century. Moreover, the choir’s lower flyers have chevron (zigzag) decoration. Chevron decoration, which was characteristic of the second half of the twelfth century and was out of favor by the fourteenth century, is entirely absent from modifications to the building that can be dated with confidence to the thirteenth century.

From the portion above of the passage we do know for sure that the author stands on ONE side of the story because

1) we do have a shift in the passage with the word however
2) we do know for sure (it is possible) that the two major parts have always had buttresses.

C is the answer

PS: this question was on level 4 for sure
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [0]
Given Kudos: 46
Send PM
Can you explain Q24? I am unable to decipher the answer and words like "flyers" are confusing to me.
Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 33099 [1]
Send PM
Expert Reply
The first thing to do is to understand clearly those pieces of information

1) exterior arches (flyers)

2) their supports (buttresses) these support the arches

So we do have the arches and their support.

3) the nave and the choir, the church’s two major parts,

4) the flying buttresses — a series of exterior arches (flyers) and their supports (buttresses) are simply the arches and other support combined

we have that the church in question - Notre Dame - has two major parts: the nave (which is the central part of the church itself) and the choir.

Now, the choir’s lower flyers are the arches of the choirs situated in the lowest part of the church itself, for instance at the entrance of the church

The question is

The author’s argument concerning Notre-Dame’s flying buttresses depends on which of the following assumptions about the choir’s lower flyers?

translated

The author's argument concerning the church's arches + their supports is based on which of the following assumption ??

we do have

it is nevertheless possible to tell that both the nave and the choir, the church’s two major parts, have always had flying buttresses

Even though we do have several stratifications of works and addition over the centuries we can still trace and pinpoint that the two major parts of the church had always flying buttresses + arches + their support

However, to do that even though the modifications over the centuries the original design must be recognizable yet

A is the answer

B They have a type of decoration used exclusively for exterior surfaces.

no mention of exclusiveness

C They were the models for the choir’s original upper flyers.

no mention that the upper part of the church modeled the bottom part

D They were the models for the nave’s original lower flyers.

neither this is mentioned or assumed

E They were constructed after the nave’s flyers were constructed.

completely wrong because this answer tells us that the arches were built after the supports. No sense
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
"A They accurately reproduce the decoration on the choir’s original lower flyers."

How are we establishing that the choir's lower flyers have been replaced?
Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 33099 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
Clumpsome wrote:
"A They accurately reproduce the decoration on the choir’s original lower flyers."

How are we establishing that the choir's lower flyers have been replaced?

Please sir tell me what question or portion of the passage you need help

Difficult to pinpoint just from the excerpt above

Thanks
regards
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Option A which is the answer to 24 seems confusing. It makes a claim: A They accurately reproduce the decoration on the choir’s original lower flyers. This is throwing me off as the passage never specifically mentioned that the original lower flyers of the choir were ever replaced.
Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 33099 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
Gotit. However, I extensively explained the question above https://gre.myprepclub.com/forum/nineteent ... tml#p80586

Let me know what is still unclear sir
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Send PM
:(

Posted from my mobile device
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 122 [0]