Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 08:31 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 08:31

Close

GRE Prep Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GRE score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 33116 [8]
Given Kudos: 25175
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Send PM
Own Kudos [?]: 269 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 87 [0]
Concentration: Marketing
Schools: Copenhagen Business School - Class of 2022
Send PM
Re: Surprisingly enough, modern historians have rarely intereste [#permalink]
Honest to heart how do people finish this in 8min?
It takes me 15 min, wish I to get all the answers correct.
Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 33116 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
I agree.

However, you have a specific time range to tackle such a passage.

The only way to improve and speed up the process is practice.

Regards
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 220 [0]
Given Kudos: 41
GRE 1: Q160 V161

GRE 2: Q165 V159
Send PM
Can someone please provide official answers for all questions? @carcass
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 191 [3]
GRE 1: Q160 V163
Send PM
Professor Davis says that Southern states were different from North England. This is based on two grounds
1) Their similarities were more significant than their differences - agreed by author
2) Southern states were different from other states- states with New England Puritan culture (NEPC)

However the author argues that NEPC was predominant only in two states Massachusetts and Connecticut (Puritan colonies) and not in the rest of North England. Rest of North England (e.g. New Hamp-shire.) were in fact similar to Southern states. and hence within the larger framework of American colonial life, then, not the Southern but the Puritan colonies were distinctive.

21. The author is primarily concerned with
(B) refuting a thesis about the distinctiveness of the culture of the early American South
Correct- the second premise of Southern states being different from remaining states with NEPC
(C) refuting the two premises that underlie Davis' discussion of the culture of the American South in the period before 1815
Incorrect- He agrees with the one premise.

22. The passage implies that the attitudes toward Nathe Americans that prevailed in the Southern colonies
(D) differed from those that prevailed in the Puritan colonies
correct- differences between the Southern and Puritan colonies………in attitudes toward nature and Native Americans,

23. According to the author, the depiction of American culture during the Colonial and Revolutionary ems as an extension of New England Puritan culture reflects the
POE
(A) fact that historians have overestimated the importance of the Puritans in the development of American culture
Correct- The puritan aspect was predominant only in only two states and not in rest of New England
(C) failure to recognize important and undeniable cultural differences between New Hampshire and Rhode Island on the one hand and the Southern colonies on the other
Incorrect trap answer- The para 3 says exactly opposite

24. The author of the passage is in agreement with which of the following elements of Davis' book?
I. Davis' claim that acquisitiveness was a characteristic unique to the South during the Colonial period
Incorrect-
Thus, what in contrast to the Puritan colonies appears to Davis to be peculiarly Southern—acquisitiveness………
almost certainly characteristic of most other early modern British colonies

II. Davis' argument that there were significant differences between Puritan and Southern culture during the Colonial period
Correct- Throughout, Davis focuses on the important, and undeniable,
differences between the Southern and Puritan colonies in motives…..

III. Davis' thesis that the Southern colonies shared a common culture
Correct- Para 1

25. It can be inferred from the passage that the author would find Davis' second premise (lines 18-20) more plausible if it were true that
POE
(B) Puritan culture had been dominant in all the non-Southern colonies during the seventeenth and eighteenth centuries
Correct- Then we could say rightly say southern states were different from NEPC
(E) the cultural patterns characteristic of most early modern British colonies had also been characteristic of the Puritan colonies
Incorrect trap answer- Davis’s second premise was based on differences between Southern states and NEPC. Most of early modern colonies already shared same characters as Southern states.

26. The passage suggests that by the late Colonial period the tendency to cultivate metropolitan cultural models was a cultural pattern that was
(C) spreading to Massachusetts and Connecticut
Correct- tendency to cultivate metropolitan cultural models—was not only more typically English than the cultural patterns exhibited by Puritan Massachusetts and Connecticut,
but the Puritan colonies........... seem to have been rapidly assimilating to the dominant cultural patterns by the late Colonial period

27. Which of the following statements could most logically follow the last sentence of the passage?
(A) Thus, had more attention been paid to the evidence, Davis would not have been tempted to argue that the culture of the South diverged greatly from Puritan culture in the seventeenth century.
Incorrect trap answer- not in tune with the last line which says that puritan states too were following prevalent cultural patterns in late colonial period.

(B) Thus, convergence, not divergence, seems to have characterized the cultural development of the American colonies in the eighteenth century.
correct- as a logical continuation of Last line of passage
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Send PM
how much time should you ideally take on these passages ?
Founder
Founder
Affiliations: GMAT Club
Own Kudos [?]: 509 [0]
Given Kudos: 259
GRE 1: Q165 V170
Send PM
Expert Reply
Choppy wrote:
how much time should you ideally take on these passages ?

It really depends on how much time you allocate to other questions. You have a few options:
1. Improve your RC speed
2. Improve the speed in other verbal questions so you can spend the time you need on RC

Usually people take about 3-5 mins to read a passage and then 45 secs per question. (depending on the length of the passage). I could easily spend 8 mins if I had a long passage with 4 questions.
Verbal Expert
Send PM
Expert Reply
Attachment:
screenshot.60.png
screenshot.60.png [ 19.84 KiB | Viewed 7506 times ]
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
I think most of the time we just dont understand the passage as whole . Because there so much of detail, we get lost in it . It is the same for me. I am kind of lost in the description as a whole .
From what i summarize from this passage is that
-Souther America was neglected before 1815
- Davis posit ( Southern A different from Puritian : 2 reasons)
-Other have problem with later reason
-Southern wasnt as distinctive from whole America but Purtian was the one who was more peculiar compared to whole ; where Purtian is Mass. and Conne.
-But with time Purtian was being getting similar to british ..

Am I right ?? Is my understanding right?
It really hard to understand the passage . Any help would be appreciate ?
-
Verbal Expert
Send PM
Expert Reply
pradeep099 wrote:
I think most of the time we just dont understand the passage as whole . Because there so much of detail, we get lost in it . It is the same for me. I am kind of lost in the description as a whole .
From what i summarize from this passage is that
-Souther America was neglected before 1815
- Davis posit ( Southern A different from Puritian : 2 reasons)
-Other have problem with later reason
-Southern wasnt as distinctive from whole America but Purtian was the one who was more peculiar compared to whole ; where Purtian is Mass. and Conne.
-But with time Purtian was being getting similar to british ..

Am I right ?? Is my understanding right?
It really hard to understand the passage . Any help would be appreciate ?
-

Mostly correct
Prep Club for GRE Bot
[#permalink]
Moderators:
GRE Instructor
218 posts
GRE Instructor
1029 posts