Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 23:59 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 23:59

Close

GRE Prep Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GRE score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 33099 [3]
Given Kudos: 25173
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 142 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 33099 [0]
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 97 [0]
Send PM
Re: In Don Giovanni, what is perhaps Mozart’s best-known opera, [#permalink]
Can anyone explain Q1
Verbal Expert
Send PM
Expert Reply
Mozart was overwhelmed by wor(for patrons and so on). As such, the previous work and for which he had care, was freeze. I.E. it was in sort of limbo

That is the meaning of tabled.

Hope is more clear to you now.

Regards
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Send PM
i need some help with Q3 pls. why option B is incorrect?
a tragic ending allowed him to to be consistent with the conventions of the opera prevalent during his time as " Don Giovanni falls more under the rubric of opera serie" and, thus, require more serious -tragic" - ending.
am i missing anything?
Verbal Expert
Send PM
Expert Reply
Difficult question. However, in the third paragraph we do have

Quote:
While such a view is not entirely without merit— Mozart ultimately aimed to impart some lesson for his incorrigible Lothario— it still leaves the question unanswered as to why there are two endings, and what exactly Mozart aimed to communicate that could not be housed in a traditional ending.

The tragic end was not typical at the time. Mozart instead was able to do both: a tragic end that appeared NOT tragic and therefore being consistent with that was the tradition.

Very tricky.

Hope now is more clear.

Regards
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 59 [0]
Given Kudos: 68
Send PM
plz provide proper explaination for Q2, sometime brain understand the essence of question and option....
Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 33099 [1]
Send PM
Expert Reply
void wrote:
plz provide proper explaination for Q2, sometime brain understand the essence of question and option....

When nothing works and the passage is too convoluted, I suggest to focus on the question itself, to try to carve out some useful hint.

Thi question is really too hard for the GRE. Moreover, it is based on a double negative which indeed is positive

The author of the passage would take exception to all of the following statements regarding Libard’s response to the existence of dual endings to Don Giovanni EXCEPT

“Take exception” means “to disagree with.” Because this is an except question, the answer is something with which the author would either agree or not clearly disagree.

The author would agree with (A) because Libard offers two explanations to the questions posed by the author. The author considers one explanation reasonable and the other lacking. Therefore, the author would agree that Libard’s explanations aren’t “uniform in their usefulness.”

The way in which the question above is formulated IS NOT the way the GRE works. Usually, they do not play with such intricacies. The only way, or at least that way I do know, is: is mentioned or NOT in the passage.

Basically, you have 4 questions that are clearly stated and ONE not stated.

I have a reservation with such question by third party companies. Maybe that is me :) though
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [1]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
In Don Giovanni, what is perhaps Mozart’s best-known opera, [#permalink]
Shouldn't question 3 be A and B? In the last paragraph, the author mentions "Mozart BALKED at including a traditional ending, feeling that it was incongruous with the serious tone of most of the opera". This suggest that the TRADITIONAL ending was INCONGRUOUS with most opera so Mozart was hesitant about including it. Can't we infer from this that if this is the case then the TRAGIC ending WOULD be CONGRUOUS with most opera hence the "consistent with the conventions of the opera" mentioned in option B?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 27
Send PM
what does the author mean with the phrase " trading the sensible for the pat" ?
Verbal Expert
Send PM
Expert Reply
jjgre2021 wrote:

Fine, but then what of the tragic ending? Libard— trading the sensible for the pat— offers little more than that such an ending reflects the political climate of the day.

The tragic ending provokes a bad feeling or something unpleasant. Libard tries to exchange this in a gentle touch, saying that is the reflection - the tragic end - of the political climate of the day or I:E. of the historic period in which the tragedy is cast.

Regsrds
Verbal Expert
Send PM
Expert Reply
jjgre2021 wrote:

Fine, but then what of the tragic ending? Libard— trading the sensible for the pat— offers little more than that such an ending reflects the political climate of the day.

The tragic ending provokes a bad feeling or something unpleasant. Libard tries to exchange this in a gentle touch, saying that is the reflection - the tragic end - of the political climate of the day or I:E. of the historic period in which the tragedy is cast.

Regards
Verbal Expert
Send PM
Expert Reply
jjgre2021 wrote:

Regards
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Send PM
In Don Giovanni, what is perhaps Mozart’s best-known opera, [#permalink]
Carcass wrote:
void wrote:

When nothing works and the passage is too convoluted, I suggest to focus on the question itself, to try to carve out some useful hint.

Thi question is really too hard for the GRE. Moreover, it is based on a double negative which indeed is positive

The author of the passage would take exception to all of the following statements regarding Libard’s response to the existence of dual endings to Don Giovanni EXCEPT

“Take exception” means “to disagree with.” Because this is an except question, the answer is something with which the author would either agree or not clearly disagree.

The author would agree with (A) because Libard offers two explanations to the questions posed by the author. The author considers one explanation reasonable and the other lacking. Therefore, the author would agree that Libard’s explanations aren’t “uniform in their usefulness.”

The way in which the question above is formulated IS NOT the way the GRE works. Usually, they do not play with such intricacies. The only way, or at least that way I do know, is: is mentioned or NOT in the passage.

Basically, you have 4 questions that are clearly stated and ONE not stated.

I have a reservation with such question by third party companies. Maybe that is me :) though

Why not option B ? He gives the reasons for both- Traditional and Tragic. A is not convincing because nowhere I see anything about uniformity and usefulness. Can you help me in correcting my understanding ?
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 51 [0]
Send PM
Re: In Don Giovanni, what is perhaps Mozarts best-known opera, [#permalink]
Hello from the GRE Prep Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GRE Prep Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
Prep Club for GRE Bot
[#permalink]
Moderators:
GRE Instructor
218 posts
GRE Instructor
1029 posts