Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 15:59 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 15:59

Close

GRE Prep Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GRE score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
GRE Prep Club Team Member
Own Kudos [?]: 3246 [2]
Given Kudos: 1051
GPA: 3.39
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Given Kudos: 385
Send PM
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 837 [2]
Given Kudos: 194
GRE 1: Q167 V156
GPA: 4
WE:Analyst (Investment Banking)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [2]
Given Kudos: 385
Send PM
Re: A clutch of new studies in the field of the psychology of emotion [#permalink]
Ks1859 wrote:
IshanPathak wrote:
The explanation for Q1??

Hi IshanPathak !!

Lets try it this way! Why don't you explain your take on the question and then the moderators/experts could help you to understand where did you go wrong. This will help you to know what mistakes you make and how can you avoid them further. This would also benefit other members, rather than just reading the posted solution, explain your take!

Regards
Ks

Yes sure, I think this approach makes more sense. My thought process ( although I am beginning to see the flaws ):
1. In this case NO hormones are released at all -- hence we can consciously control emotions like anger
2. In this case rate of dissipation is increased by the intake of a drug --- Not really sure if we can consciously control the emotion (maybe take that drug??)
3. This one does not make sense as it talks only about adrenaline and not OTHER hormones.

So in my opinion, it should be (1) only, (3) is a sure NO; However the closest answer which is there is (1) and (2) only.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Re: A clutch of new studies in the field of the psychology of emotion [#permalink]
IshanPathak wrote:
Ks1859 wrote:
IshanPathak wrote:
The explanation for Q1??

Hi IshanPathak !!

Lets try it this way! Why don't you explain your take on the question and then the moderators/experts could help you to understand where did you go wrong. This will help you to know what mistakes you make and how can you avoid them further. This would also benefit other members, rather than just reading the posted solution, explain your take!

Regards
Ks

Yes sure, I think this approach makes more sense. My thought process ( although I am beginning to see the flaws ):
1. In this case NO hormones are released at all -- hence we can consciously control emotions like anger
2. In this case rate of dissipation is increased by the intake of a drug --- Not really sure if we can consciously control the emotion (maybe take that drug??)
3. This one does not make sense as it talks only about adrenaline and not OTHER hormones.

So in my opinion, it should be (1) only, (3) is a sure NO; However the closest answer which is there is (1) and (2) only.

I agree. Was facing the same problem. It should be (1) only according to me. (3) can be easily rejected because of only adrenaline being talked about. (2), OTOH, seems problematic because of the following reasons:
1. The rate of dissipation as a problem has only been mentioned for adrenaline. Thus, we don't know if not being able to control the rate of dissipation is a problem with all emotions.
2. We don't know if the increased rate of dissipation is good enough or not. Since the increased rate could be a meagre 1% too. So it seems tough to conclude that an increased rate would help us control our emotions.
3. An increased rate doesn't imply that the rate is being controlled by our conscious mind (which has been stated in the passage as the problem why the rate of dissipation makes matters worse).

Any help here would be greatly appreciated.
Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 33099 [0]
Given Kudos: 25173
Send PM
Expert Reply
Where is the hassle ?? what did you not understand ?? Q1 :)
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Carcass wrote:

I don't think (2) should be selected. Only (1) should be the answer. I don't understand how (2) is also selected in the answer.
Verbal Expert
Send PM
Expert Reply
ishthewiz wrote:
Carcass wrote:

I don't think (2) should be selected. Only (1) should be the answer. I don't understand how (2) is also selected in the answer.

To be honest I do not knowhow even the first one is true reading the passage :-o :-o
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Carcass wrote:
ishthewiz wrote:
Carcass wrote:

To be honest I do not knowhow even the first one is true reading the passage :-o :-o

Well if we assume that adrenaline is a hormone(which it actually is) then it should be true. Since in the passage it is stated that once you get angry, adrenaline is released and that is what causes further problems. So if that isn't released, then the 1st option would be true.
Verbal Expert
Send PM
A clutch of new studies in the field of the psychology of emotion [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Just a conjecture

That is an inference question. We must not assume anything. Must be in the passage.

The passage basically says you nothing
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Carcass wrote:
Just a conjecture

That is an inference question. We must not assume anything. Must be in the passage.

The passage basically says you nothing

Right...makes sense. So the OA seems to be wrong then.
GRE Prep Club Team Member
Own Kudos [?]: 3246 [0]
Given Kudos: 1051
GPA: 3.39
Send PM
Expert Reply
Official Explanation

Topic—What triggers human emotions?

Scope—To explore the relationship between impulses and release of certain emotions.

Passage Map

P1—–states that certain emotions are accompanied by the release of hormones and these emotions cannot be controlled by humans.

P2—explains how the understanding of impulse triggers and impulse control can help curb sudden emotional outbursts.

1. According to the passage, in which of the following hypothetical cases would a person be able to consciously control his or her emotions?

Difficulty Level: Very Hard

Explanation

(A) Statement iii is factually incorrect.

(B) The passage states that the reason a person is not able to voluntarily control emotions is that these emotions are sustained by hormones whose rate of dissipation cannot be controlled by humans. Thus, if no such hormones were released, there would be no problem in the first place. So, statement i is correct. Statement ii is also correct because by consuming this drug, a person can increase the rate of dissipation of hormones, something he had no control upon earlier. Statement iii is incorrect because it specifcally talks about adrenaline. Even if adrenaline is not produced, some other hormone could be produced upon whose dissipation rate a person would have no control.

(C) Statement iii is factually incorrect.

(D) Does not contain statement ii.

(E) It contains statement iii.

The correct answer is B.
Prep Club for GRE Bot
[#permalink]
Moderators:
GRE Instructor
218 posts
GRE Instructor
1029 posts