Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 05:58 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 05:58

Close

GRE Prep Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GRE score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 33105 [1]
Given Kudos: 25173
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 42 [0]
Given Kudos: 73
GRE 1: Q158 V156
Send PM
Verbal Expert
Send PM
Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 33105 [2]
Send PM
Re: Solar ponds are bodies of water in which circulation is incomplete and [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Quote:
4. Which of the following, if true, would seriously undermine the validity of the conclusions drawn from the experiment described in the last paragraph of the passage?

If we want to undermine the validity of the conclusions drawn from the experiment, it is vital that we understand just what conclusions were drawn. The last paragraph of the passage:

Quote:
A recent experiment has supplied a more promising method for controlling the algae. To repress the algae cells' capacity for accommodating themselves to environmental changes, the water in the solar pond was first made more saline through evaporation and then diluted by a rapid inflow of fresh water. This shock reduced the cells' ability to regulate the movement of water through their membranes. They rapidly absorbed water, resulting in distortions of shape, increase in volume, and impairment to motility. Their buoyancy adversely affected, the cells sank to the bottom of the pond, where they encountered the hot waters of the storage layer and were destroyed. This method allows for effective control of nuisance algae while leaving solar ponds as one of the cleanest technologies providing energy for human use.

The conclusions can be found, rather conveniently, in the final line. The method used in the experiment allows for effective control of nuisance algae. This is the first conclusion. Then, we get a second conclusion. The method also [leaves] solar ponds as one of the cleanest technologies providing energy for human use. The method itself is the only common element to the two conclusions. But if nuisance algae muddy up the waters, so to speak, then there is a relationship between getting rid of these algae and cleaning up the solar ponds. If we understand these conclusions, then the answer choices ought to be easier to navigate.

Quote:
(A) The algae cells that sank to the bottom of the pond were destroyed only after a time lag of twenty-four hours.

The important part is that the algae cells... were destroyed, not the time lag. The conclusions are not based on how quickly the algae were destroyed, so we cannot make heads or tails of this twenty-four-hour turnaround time. This should prove an easy elimination.

Quote:
(B) The lateral motility of the algae cells that sank to the bottom of the pond was not impaired.

Nothing goes against the passage here, which tells us that the algae suffered impairment to motility: impairment means diminishment, not a complete breakdown. Furthermore, the sentence following the one that mentions motility informs us that the algae cells' buoyancy [was] adversely affected, so they sank and were destroyed. Thus, the conclusions are based on vertical motility, if we want to think in such terms. What the algae cells do from side to side makes no difference to the conclusions. If the algae sink, they are destroyed, even if they writhe in agony from side to side on the pond floor. We need to keep looking for a weakener.

Quote:
(C) The water with which the artificial solar pond was diluted contained microorganisms that kill algae.

Stop the press: if some unacknowledged factor [killed the] algae, then the conclusions based on the experiment may be premature. In other words, the intermediate conclusion that this shock reduced the cells' ability to regulate the movement of water through their membranes may not be accurate, because the saline-to-freshwater environmental change, in and of itself, would not explain the experimental results. Simply stated, the shock-to-the-system conclusion could be completely inaccurate if microorganisms that kill algae came in with the freshwater and went to work. Regarding the method used in the experiment, then, perhaps increasing the salinity of the solar ponds was a waste of time and resources. Only the addition of freshwater laden with the microorganisms might be necessary to kill the algae.

Quote:
(D) The algae cells that sank to the bottom of the pond were actually killed by the rapid change in pressure.

This seems similar to the previous answer choice—something else killed the algae—so what makes this option incorrect? Look at the line in question: Their buoyancy adversely affected, the cells sank to the bottom of the pond, where they encountered the hot waters of the storage layer and were destroyed. Now, my interpretation could admittedly be limited in scope, since I read just the last paragraph. (I wanted to save the passage and other questions for when I might encounter them in my own practice tests.) However, I do not see the line from the passage as necessarily implicating the temperature of the hot waters of the storage layer in killing the algae; I see the line as two separately reported pieces of information: 1) the algae sink to a particular level known as the storage layer, where the water is hot; 2) the algae were destroyed. Based on the earlier information in the paragraph, it seems to me as though the algae were already on their way out, sinking as they were. What exactly may finish them off within the hot waters of the storage layer does not affect the conclusions. The algae still sink to that layer and are destroyed. That is the major difference to my eye between this answer choice and (C) above.

Quote:
(E) The higher salinity brought about through evaporation increased the transparency of the upper levels of water in the pond.

If this information ties into something mentioned earlier in the passage, it was lost on me, since, again, I read only the final paragraph. In any case, the transparency of the water has no bearing on the experiment and thus does not concern us.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Given Kudos: 61
Send PM
Re: Solar ponds are bodies of water in which circulation is incomplete and [#permalink]
Great Explanation Carcass

However, I chose C through another thought process. Could you please validate if my approach is correct?

The last line of the paragraph:

Quote:
This method allows for effective control of nuisance algae while leaving solar ponds as one of the cleanest technologies providing energy for human use

(C) The water with which the artificial solar pond was diluted contained microorganisms that kill algae.

I thought if the sentence emphasized on the process being clean, then the addition of microorganisms contradicts this factor and hence weakens the argument.
Verbal Expert
Send PM
Expert Reply
No

We need to undermine the conclusion and that is the result. However, above I said that there is a relationship between two conclusion and the process of undermine.

Your is just the last point. On the contrary, we just need to look at what essentially is the gist of the problem.

This question, with a little bit of risk though, could be answered just look at the topic sentence of the 3rd paragraph and look at the answer choices

A recent experiment has supplied a more promising method for controlling the algae. To repress the algae cells' capacity for accommodating themselves to environmental changes, the water in the solar pond was first made more saline through evaporation and then diluted by a rapid inflow of fresh water. This shock reduced the cells' ability to regulate the movement of water through their membranes. They rapidly absorbed water, resulting in distortions of shape, increase in volume, and impairment to motility. Their buoyancy adversely affected, the cells sank to the bottom of the pond, where they encountered the hot waters of the storage layer and were destroyed. This method allows for effective control of nuisance algae while leaving solar ponds as one of the cleanest technologies providing energy for human use.

repress and control

(A) The algae cells that sank to the bottom of the pond were destroyed only after a time lag of twenty-four hours. NO
(B) The lateral motility of the algae cells that sank to the bottom of the pond was not impaired. NO mention
(C) The water with which the artificial solar pond was diluted contained microorganisms that kill algae.. YES
(D) The algae cells that sank to the bottom of the pond were actually killed by the rapid change in pressure.NO actually killed but we cannot know for sure. No change in pressure MAYBE NO actually killed
(E) The higher salinity brought about through evaporation increased the transparency of the upper levels of water in the pond.NO MENTION

Regards
Prep Club for GRE Bot
[#permalink]
Moderators:
GRE Instructor
218 posts
GRE Instructor
1029 posts