Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 01:47 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 01:47

Close

GRE Prep Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GRE score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 33114 [17]
Given Kudos: 25174
Send PM
Most Helpful Community Reply
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 191 [5]
Given Kudos: 0
GRE 1: Q160 V163
Send PM
General Discussion
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 272 [0]
Given Kudos: 97
Send PM
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 918 [3]
Re: Computer programmers often remark that computing machines, w [#permalink]
mind wrote:
Can someone help me with 23? I selected A but wrong
And 25? Where in the passage did the author suggest that the physicists' approach is practical?
And 27? I selected right answer but was wavering at C. I feel like C is applied only to mathematicians not all scientists, correct me if I'm wrong
Thank you so much,

I think your 5/7 is still a great score, as this passage's difficulty level was hard.

For 23, Scientists believed that small perturbations in an equation or a premise is inevitable. On the other hand, mathematics are the ones who take axioms lierally. So, E is the correct answer.

For 25, Though it is not directly stated that physicists' approach to scientific investigations is practical. the author does agree that physicists and scientific approaches are similar. They both disavow literal mindedness techniques that is often embraced by mathematicians.

For 27, Yes, you are correct, option C was in-directed towards mathematicians.

If anything is still unclear, please reply to this post.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 272 [0]
Given Kudos: 97
Send PM
theBrahmaTiger wrote:
mind wrote:
Can someone help me with 23? I selected A but wrong
And 25? Where in the passage did the author suggest that the physicists' approach is practical?
And 27? I selected right answer but was wavering at C. I feel like C is applied only to mathematicians not all scientists, correct me if I'm wrong
Thank you so much,

I think your 5/7 is still a great score, as this passage's difficulty level was hard.

For 23, Scientists believed that small perturbations in an equation or a premise is inevitable. On the other hand, mathematics are the ones who take axioms lierally. So, E is the correct answer.

For 25, Though it is not directly stated that physicists' approach to scientific investigations is practical. the author does agree that physicists and scientific approaches are similar. They both disavow literal mindedness techniques that is often embraced by mathematicians.

For 27, Yes, you are correct, option C was in-directed towards mathematicians.

If anything is still unclear, please reply to this post.

Thank you theBrahmaTiger. I think your explanation for 25 is great. Sometimes, it's not clearly stated, instead a general understanding of the passage will help solve the answer

For 23, after re-examine what I did wrong, I think I probably found the portion of the passage that helps me solve this question "The physicist rightly dreads precise argument, since an argument that is convincing only if it is precise loses all its force if the assumptions on which it is based are slightly changed, whereas an argument that is convincing though imprecise may well be stable under small perturbations of its underlying assumptions." This sentence is complex in the structure and hard to understand fully, but I think it essentially says that - If a perfectly correct argument exists, it will lose all legitimacy if underlying assumption changes even just a bit; and as for a good (not perfectly correct) argument, a slight changes in the underlying assumption will still hold its validity.
Would love to further my understanding of this sentence if anyone willing to help
Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 33114 [2]
Send PM
Expert Reply
It is exactly contrary to your understanding.

The scholars, in this specific case the physicist is scared of an argument that the underlined assumptions are not questionable, apparently, because when it is refuted will fall completely apart, disintegrated.

On the other hand, the argument that is debatable in the end will not lose ALL the underlined assumption but maybe needs small changes in the trajectories but it will NOT fall completely apart and will stand to some extent.

This is basically the suggestion, in a more general way, how our knowledge of the world or the universe will advance.

Regards
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 87 [0]
Concentration: Marketing
Schools: Copenhagen Business School - Class of 2022
Send PM
As the usual I get the last one wrong.
Could someone elaborate as in where it is stated "some factors in most situations must remain unknown".
I am having issues with the "must", due to which I didn't opt for the answer.

However, since I guess it is healthy to find where the correct answers stems from (even when wrong), would the following sentence be indicative of this as answer being correct-->"The physicist rightly dreads precise argument, since an argument that is convincing only if it is precise loses all its force if the assumptions on which it is based are slightly changed," ?
Thank you for your answers.
Cheers!
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 918 [2]
bubidag wrote:
As the usual I get the last one wrong.
Could someone elaborate as in where it is stated "some factors in most situations must remain unknown".
I am having issues with the "must", due to which I didn't opt for the answer.

However, since I guess it is healthy to find where the correct answers stems from (even when wrong), would the following sentence be indicative of this as answer being correct-->"The physicist rightly dreads precise argument, since an argument that is convincing only if it is precise loses all its force if the assumptions on which it is based are slightly changed," ?
Thank you for your answers.
Cheers!

This very healthy skepticism is foreign to the mathematical approach.

This line and the sentence preceding it is implying why scientists develop healthy skepticism. Scientists including physicists are aware that they have made theoretical assumptions, that their theories are not perfect, that the assumptions MAY contain some invisible elements.

This indicates that some parts IN MOST SITUATIONS (NOT IN ALL SITUATIONS) must remain unknown, so they develop skepticism.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Send PM
Hi! It is glad to hear from you a new amazing topic. Working with computer programs is not a very easy task do deal with by your one. Often it has a deep connection with device tracking. https://www.hoverwatch.com/free-android-keylogger with price from €9.99 per month. With that guys, you can manage not only your phone but all family devices.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 334 [0]
Given Kudos: 299
Send PM
Such a long article @carcass. Do they really expect us to solve all these in such limited time?
Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 33114 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
Farina wrote:
Such a long article @carcass. Do they really expect us to solve all these in such limited time?

No, I am not :)

But ETS yes 8-)

However, think that the passages in the GRE now are shorter than this old RC
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
GPA: 3.82
Send PM
can anyone explain 24 for me?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 66 [0]
Given Kudos: 15
GRE 1: Q165 V157

GRE 2: Q165 V156

GRE 3: Q166 V159
Send PM
Damn! Got the inference one wrong. Was confused between D and E :/
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [1]
Send PM
cnk1 wrote:
27. The author implies that scientists develop a healthy skepticism because they are aware that
(B) changes in axiomatic propositions will inevitably undermine scientific arguments
Incorrect trap answer. But not supported in passage.
(E) some factors in most situations must remain unknown
Correct-
Physicists, looking at the original Schrodinger equation, learn to sense in it the presence of
many invisible terms in addition to the differential terms visible, and this sense inspires an entirely appropriate
disregard for the purely technical features of the equation. This very healthy skepticism….

Actually, B does have support in the passage in the last paragraph - I just don't think it was helping us understand the development of healthy skepticism.

To answer a previous question why E is right, even though it has such an extreme wording ("must remain unknown"), I think because the author says healthy skepticism is not a part of the "mathematical approach", healthy skepticism is part of the scientific approach (using the block of 4 reasoning). Also, earlier in the second paragraph, it is stated that dealing with reality results in making "imperfectly understood" assumptions as a "normal" occurence.

However, I am still a little confused. My qualm about this choice is the word "normally" - "normally" means "usually", which does not fit with the word "must" in answer choice E.

If someone can help me understand the last part, it would be greatly appreciated!
Verbal Expert
Send PM
Expert Reply
Since science tries to deal with reality, even the most precise sciences normally work with more or less imperfectly understood approximations toward which scientists must maintain an appropriate skepticism. Thus, for instance, it may come as a shock to mathematicians to learn that the Schrodinger equation for the hydrogen atom is not a literally correct description of this atom, but only an approximation to a somewhat more correct equation taking account of spin, magnetic dipole, and relativistic effects; and that this corrected equation is itself only an imperfect approximation to an infinite set of quantum field-theoretical equations. Physicists, looking at the original Schrodinger equation, learn to sense in it the presence of many invisible terms in addition to the differential terms visible, and this sense inspires an entirely appropriate disregard for the purely technical features of the equation. This very healthy skepticism is foreign to the mathematical approach.

27. The author implies that scientists develop a healthy skepticism because they are aware that

(A) mathematicians are better able to solve problems than are scientists

Not what the passage above says

(B) changes in axiomatic propositions will inevitably undermine scientific arguments

(C) well-defined situations are necessary for the design of reliable experiments

(D) mathematical solutions can rarely be applied to real problems

(E) some factors in most situations must remain unknown

Correct

Hope this helps
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Computer programmers often remark that computing machines, w [#permalink]
Carcass I'm having confusion in the last question. Why the answer is not B? I'm inferring the answer from the last paragraph.

Quote:
The physicist rightly dreads precise argument, since an argument that is convincing only if it is precise loses all its force if the assumptions on which it is based are slightly changed, whereas an argument that is convincing though imprecise may well be stable under small perturbations of its underlying assumptions
Verbal Expert
Send PM
Expert Reply
BTW I explained in depth just above your reply :) very in depth

However

7. The author implies that scientists develop a healthy skepticism because they are aware that
(E) some factors in most situations must remain unknown-Correct

Thus, for instance, it may come as a shock to mathematicians to learn that the Schrodinger equation for the hydrogen atom is not a literally correct description of this atom, but only an approximation to a somewhat more correct equation taking account of spin, magnetic dipole, and relativistic effects; and that this corrected equation is itself only an imperfect approximation to an infinite set of quantum field-theoretical equations. Physicists, looking at the original Schrodinger equation, learn to sense in it the presence of many invisible terms in addition to the differential terms visible, and this sense inspires an entirely appropriate disregard for the purely technical features of the equation. This very healthy skepticism is foreign to the mathematical approach.

Let me know if now is clear
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 42
Send PM
I am wondering if anybody could help me to break down this sentence's grammatical structure. I know those bold parts are adjective clauses but due to the reduced form, it's hard to understand how the 1st and 2nd bold parts are related.

Quote:
The mathematicians turn the scientists' theoretical assumptions, that is, their convenient points of analytical emphasis, into axioms, and then take these axioms literally.
Verbal Expert
Send PM
Expert Reply
The mathematicians turn the scientists' theoretical assumptions, that is, their convenient points of analytical emphasis, into axioms, and then take these axioms literally

The math guys turned the assumptions of the scientists - which is what they really think about a problem or a scenario in which they have different thoughts and of which the scientists try to find out the gap between what the observe and what are the possible conclusion of the phenomenon into consideration - into rules or laws. Or in other words, turns the theory in something of concrete
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [1]
Given Kudos: 42
Send PM
Thanks for the explanation. If I am correct -" that is " is giving information about the assumption. Who "their" is referring to-the mathematician or the scientist?

Quote:
The mathematicians turn the scientists' theoretical assumptions, that is, their convenient points of analytical emphasis, into axioms, and then take these axioms literally

The math guys turned the assumptions of the scientists - which is what they really think about a problem or a scenario in which they have different thoughts and of which the scientists try to find out the gap between what the observe and what are the possible conclusion of the phenomenon into consideration - into rules or laws. Or in other words, turns the theory in something of concrete
Prep Club for GRE Bot
[#permalink]
 1   2   
Moderators:
GRE Instructor
218 posts
GRE Instructor
1029 posts