Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 17:39 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 17:39

Close

GRE Prep Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GRE score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 33111 [3]
Given Kudos: 25173
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 22 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [3]
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 55 [4]
Send PM
Re: Exterminator: Using poisoned food is the most effective tact [#permalink]
projectoffset wrote:
I would like to know why C is better than A.

The explanation given for A states that "These do not represent “all signs” of an infestation; mice may leave droppings, chew things up, and so on. Further, the mice are not harder to see and hear only after poison has been used," among other things.

However, this seems like a flimsy reasoning to me. It states arbitrary possibilities as facts, which I don't understand.

For example: I can just as easily say that mice ARE harder to see and hear after poison because they become sluggish and cannot move as far. Or perhaps I can say that while these aren't the only signs of mice, any other signs don't necessarily have to be categorized as visible. Leaving droppings or chewing things can occur in places not visible to me.

I don't see their reasoning as more likely than mine by any means.

Moreover, answer C states: In the spring, many mice that nest in houses begin foraging for food outside and do not return to the comfort of the house until the fall or winter.

Two things jump out at me that should disqualify this as an answer:

1. Many mice is not all mice. This implies that some mice may not leave houses for as long or altogether.

2. It introduces seasons, implying some sort of temporal restriction, which is not part of the initial problem paragraph at all. One can just as easily say that due to this, the answer is irrelevant as we do not know WHEN exactly this infestation occurs.

Can someone help me with this?

I'll do my best to explain my interpretation of why C > A.

To start at the beginning, we are ask to weaken the premise of "the absence of signs for three weeks means the mice have been eradicated by the poison".

When I looked at A, I thought the same way the OE stated. The premise asks for absence of all signs, which include droppings, chewed up things etc. Just because I don't see or hear the mice, doesn't mean they are gone for good.

However, when I looked at C, I saw it as a more reasonable thought process. Let's say that the there is no signs whatsoever. This means no droppings, no chewed up things, no seeing mice. It's all gone. If presented with answer C, that some mice will go away and come back, it weakens what the Exterminator said. Answer (A) gives you leeway in the sense that mice could still be active in those three weeks but you just wouldn't know it. Answer (C) says that they are not active in those 3 weeks, but they will come back after those three weeks.

Sorry if my explanation is poor, I tried.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Send PM
Carcass wrote:
Exterminator: Using poisoned food is the most effective tactic for combating a mouse infestation.The mouse will carry the food back to the nest, causing all of the mice to die, while a trap will kill only the one mouse that falls into it. If all signs of the mice disappear for three consecutive weeks after poisoned food is used, the homeowner can be sure that the poison was successful in eradicating the mice.

Which of the following, if true, most seriously calls into question the exterminator’s claim that the absence of signs for three weeks means the mice have been eradicated by the poison?

(A) Because mice hide whenever they sense humans, it is very difficult to see or hear mice even when there is an active infestation.
(B) It is more humane to use “live-catch” traps that allow homeowners to release the still- living mice outside.
(C) In the spring, many mice that nest in houses begin foraging for food outside and do not return to the comfort of the house until the fall or winter.
(D) There are several different kinds of poison that could be used, some of which are more effective than others.
(E) It sometimes takes longer than three weeks for all of the mice to ingest and die from the poison.

I think that C is true answer
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Send PM
I think C. But these methods are only temporary methods to prevent rodents come in to the house and sometimes if we don't see their signs then also we cannot determine if they are permanently gone or not because there might be a chance that they are out in the summer searching for food and then next winter again they are in your home. So I think to get permanently rid of them pest control by the professional pest control services providing companies is the best option.
GRE Prep Club Tests Editor
Affiliations: Partner at MyGuru LLC.
Own Kudos [?]: 323 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
GMAT 1: 770 Q51 V44
GRE 1: Q169 V168
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
Expert Reply
Quote:
Exterminator: Using poisoned food is the most effective tactic for combating a mouse infestation. The mouse will carry the food back to the nest, causing all of the mice to die, while a trap will kill only the one mouse that falls into it. If all signs of the mice disappear for three consecutive weeks after poisoned food is used, the homeowner can be sure that the poison was successful in eradicating the mice.

Which of the following, if true, most seriously calls into question the exterminator’s claim that the absence of signs for three weeks means the mice have been eradicated by the poison?

(A) Because mice hide whenever they sense humans, it is very difficult to see or hear mice even when there is an active infestation.
(B) It is more humane to use “live-catch” traps that allow homeowners to release the still- living mice outside.
(C) In the spring, many mice that nest in houses begin foraging for food outside and do not return to the comfort of the house until the fall or winter.
(D) There are several different kinds of poison that could be used, some of which are more effective than others.
(E) It sometimes takes longer than three weeks for all of the mice to ingest and die from the poison.

When dealing with short, argument-based reading comprehension, first identify the question task as it pertains to the conclusion. In this case, we are asked to weaken the exterminator's claim.

The second step, is to identify the conclusion. Here, the question itself already does that work for us by identifying the claim as "that the absence of signs for three weeks means the mice have been eradicated by the poison".

The third step is to try and predict an answer yourself, broadly. In this case we need to show that just because the mice are absent ≠ "eradicated by poison".

Finally, look to the answer choices for an option that provides information that matches our prediction that mice are absent ≠ "eradicated by poison".

- Eliminate. Look for vague terms or information that requires further interpretation. Here, we cannot determine whether the mice in question can "sense humans" in order to appropriately evaluate the impact on the conclusion.

- Eliminate. Alternative approaches have no impact on the argument at hand.

- Select. This provides another reason that the mice may be absent that would not require that they have been eradicated by the poison.

- Eliminate. Alternative approaches have no impact on the argument at hand.

- Eliminate. "Sometimes" is a vague term that is impossible to use to evaluate the current situation.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 46 [0]
Given Kudos: 86
Send PM
Tourist1703 wrote:
In order to answer it we should find some option which can reasonably explain why even though all sign of mice disappeared we cannot say that it eradicated the mice. C gives the best reasonable answer. Choice A may seem true but to see and hear are not only signs of mice presence.

and spring is not the only season to kill mice
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 46 [0]
Given Kudos: 86
Send PM
Exterminator: Using poisoned food is the most effective tact [#permalink]
from my perspective the best answer is A
because if you can't find sign of mice exitance you can't till if they are still their or gone
c is limited to spring season
E is limited when mice have shortage in food so they used to storage food for winter then they consume it
but with plenty of food like houses they will consume it right the way
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 51 [0]
Send PM
Hello from the GRE Prep Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GRE Prep Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
Prep Club for GRE Bot
[#permalink]
Moderators:
GRE Instructor
218 posts
GRE Instructor
1029 posts