Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 11:15 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 11:15

Close

GRE Prep Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GRE score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 33099 [1]
Given Kudos: 25172
Send PM
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1373 [0]
Given Kudos: 93
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 33099 [0]
Send PM
Re: To prevent overcrowding, last month the town zoning board li [#permalink]
Expert Reply
The OE

Quote:
This argument discusses a plan with the stated goal “to prevent overcrowding.” Two points of view are represented in the argument: one is that of the town zoning board, the originators of the plan, and the other is that of critics of the plan. The question asks for information that would most support the claims of the critics of the plan.

(A) How other towns fared under similar zoning plans is irrelevant to this argument, unless additional information was presented to connect the situation of this town to those. There is no such connecting information, so this choice neither strengthens nor weakens either point of view.

(B) How long it has been since the construction of the last school in town is irrelevant to this argument. The argument addresses methods to prevent overcrowding, an issue that is not directly related to school construction.

(C) The argument never mentions property taxes, so how property taxes in this town compare to those in neighboring towns is irrelevant.

(D) CORRECT. The argument states that “the town zoning board limited the number of new buildings that can be constructed in the town in any given year.” The goal of this plan is to prevent overcrowding but only does so indirectly: the town zoning board plan limits the number of new buildings, except for apartment buildings. If many new residents move into town, then the strain on town services will not decrease and may, in fact, increase.

(E) The distance to the nearest garbage dump is irrelevant to an argument about how to prevent overcrowding.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [1]
Send PM
Hello,

I think the options are wrong in this question. Option C does not talk about property taxes but is a mirror image of option D
Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 33099 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi,

please, see the OE above.

Thank you so much
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 51 [0]
Send PM
Hello from the GRE Prep Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GRE Prep Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
Prep Club for GRE Bot
[#permalink]
Moderators:
GRE Instructor
218 posts
GRE Instructor
1029 posts