Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 21:03 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 21:03

Close

GRE Prep Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GRE score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 33112 [9]
Given Kudos: 25173
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 33112 [2]
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 21 [1]
Send PM
Re: In Anglo Saxon times, the monastic scribes made ________ dis [#permalink]
Carcass wrote:
The second part of the sentence is a clue

distinction between Latin texts and texts in the vernacular by assigning the former an Anglo-Caroline script and reserving the pointed insular script for texts in Old English.

Actually, they made a very clever and smart trick. I.E a subtle distinction

A and B are synonyms.

Regards

hello, I still do not understand why it is not B and F. What exactly judmental means, and how judmental has different meaning from nice in this context ?

Oh, I think I can understand now, judgmental relates to the judgement process.
Using elimination method, I am left with A and F, and I can see that A and B are not synonym, but they do have closed meaning.
Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 33112 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
The biggest error the students make is just this: they memorize 1 million words, they look at two equal words..and boom . The GRE is done.

The strategy is to find two words ALIKE in meaning that NOT necessarily must be equal, which fit the meaning of the sentence.

That is your goal. NOT to memorize a process, words, or else. Your role is to use the logic

Regards
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Send PM
Why not "unconventional"? The scribes used a clever trick of using two scripts for the two languages, although nice sounds right, using two scripts might seem unconventional and ingenuous, isn't it? Moreover, I don't get the feeling that the sentence suggests that the scribes used a clever trick.
Verbal Expert
Send PM
Expert Reply
Because based on the meaning of the sentence, we do need a word that shows us the monastic had a clever, smart move in their job.

unconventional does not show us this subtle nuance.

See also my explanation above

Regards
Verbal Expert
Send PM
Expert Reply
This is a short yet tricky question. It is good as one.

There are not so many clues about. As such, when a strategy top down does not work, go for a bottom-up one or the other way around. I.E. process of elimination.

In Anglo-Saxon times, the monastic tribes made _______ distinction between Latin and texts in vernacular by assigning the former an Anglo-Caroline script and reserving the pointed insular script for texts in Old English.

During a certain period of time, someone made a distinction between X and reserving the residual way to describe the entire phenomenon to another type of script.

From this, you infer that the distinction between the first category or group (much larger and important) and the residual or other group (it is not important which is which; what is the composition of the first thing - larger - and the second thing - smaller; try to conceptualize the whole meaning. A sort of visualization of the whole scenario) is a bit blurry or not so clear.

After all , we reserved the first script to label the first and the second script to label the second BUT the latter is old but still in use.

Therefore, the difference is not so much casted or relevant.

C) pointless - here we do not have anything pointless. On the contrary, the distinction is relevant for the two groups
D) obvious - not so obvious because the monastic is clear they made something almost cunning
E) unconventional - out of scope this word
F) judgemental - out of scope.

A and B are the answer.

Always when you are pretty sure to click the right answer/s to put into the sentence and see if they have a sense in the sentence itself. reading aloud.

hope this helps.

Regards
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Carcass, can you please help to translate nice in this context? How nice is similiar to subtle?
Verbal Expert
Send PM
Expert Reply
Because the meaning of nice, especially when you are making a difference like in this case between the two jobs they made, is subtle.

So it is the perfect fitalong with B.

But even if you do not know such meaning about nice, it is the only word using POE.

All the other answer choices go in the wrong or opposite direction

I hope now is clear

Posted from my mobile device
Prep Club for GRE Bot
[#permalink]
Moderators:
GRE Instructor
218 posts
GRE Instructor
1029 posts