Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 23:03 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 23:03

Close

GRE Prep Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GRE score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 25 [4]
Given Kudos: 12
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 10616 [0]
GRE 1: Q167 V156
WE:Business Development (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Re: TOEFL or IELTS [#permalink]
The decision to take the TOEFL vs. IELTS will ultimately depend on a number of factors.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
IELTS is best for learning. This certification accepted by 8000 institutes. This is valuable test for higher education.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
IELTS helps to your higher education and career.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
I'd go with IELTS, but that depends on the country you're applying to.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Send PM
Before deciding among TOEFL or IELTS, you have to decide which country you want to go? If you are opting to go UK or any other English speaking country, check what qualification they need. Some university require IELTS score and some require TOEFL. After deciding country and University, then target which one you have to go with: TOEFL or IELTS.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
well..i guess you can always take two tests..it's possible,,isn't it??
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Send PM
it depends where you want to study and what documents you'll need..for example if you need Tier 4 visa for study in the UK, take IELTS..so gather all the info and make the decision
Intern
Intern
Send PM
I am planning to purse a graduate degree in Canada. I just done my 12th and not sure how to prepare for Ielts. Should I join an institute or first to try myself? Please guide me, I'm really puzzled.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Thanks you for great information
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Why is IELTS important?
More than 10,000 organisations globally trust IELTS, so when you take the test you can be confident that it is recognised by educational institutions, employers, governments and professional bodies around the world.

As one of the pioneers of four skills English language testing 30 years ago, IELTS continues to set the standard for English language testing today. Governments in Australia, Canada, New Zealand and the United Kingdom use IELTS to process immigration applications.

Find out which organisations currently accept IELTS.

How does IELTS work?
IELTS has been developed by some of the world’s leading language assessment experts and will test the full range of English skills needed for success in your new job or study placement abroad.

You’ll be assessed on the following elements:

Listening
Reading
Writing
Speaking
Make sure you’re familiar with how the IELTS test works and find out more about the IELTS test formats.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Send PM
The TOEFL and IELTS exams are fairly different, and therefore some people will find that they are naturally better suited for one than they are for the other. You probably want to know which test you should study for. But before we discuss their similarities and differences, remember that both IELTS and TOEFL are standardized tests. This means that, with some coaching and practice, you can learn to do well on whichever exam you decide to take. Let’s talk more specifically about each exam…

The TOEFL is a language test for non-native English speakers, and is commonly used as an entrance exam at universities and graduate schools. Because of this, the TOEFL offers only academic English. On the other hand, the IELTS offers an academic option as well as a general test; this is generally the preferred test for immigration purposes to the UK and Canada.

The IELTS academic test and the TOEFL compared to the IELTS general test are both more difficult, but they are usually the only options if you want to study at any level higher than secondary school. No matter which test you take, be aware that the scores all expire 2 years after your test date.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
I agree
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Hi, well-written blog.

As per my experience, you need to check out the official blog of BetterThink and TCYonline for detailed information.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Does Ielts work for every European country? I want to move to Germany, I also heard I need to do A1 for Germany. The purpose to go there is study.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
I took IELTS, for the simple reason that the spoken part was done in front of a person instead of a microphone. It was VERY intense, felt like an interrogation, but I got a good result (8.5 band) so I ain't complaining.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Send PM
You can online to find detail differences between the two test.

But the two major differences are the format of speaking & writing.

Speaking in IELTS is by face-to-face interview in 3 parts. While TOEFL speaking format has 6 questions, but you talk to computer. Personally, I feel TOEFL speaking is easier since students who are shy may “freeze up” talking to a person.

The writing on IETLS has two parts(independent & describe table/graph). TOEFL is also two parts(independent & integrate), but the integrate part requires you listen to a lecture. So if you’re not strong on listening, you won’t do well on the writing part.

A final add-on about the differences, is the scoring. TOEFL writing score band is 1 to 5, and speaking is 1 to 4. Which then converts into total score of 30 per skill IELTS is off of 9. So TOEFL is easier to get 5(writing) and 4(speaking) per task vs getting 9 with IELTS.

You can search online for other detail differences.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
I want to attend some ILTC clases, could you recommend me something great that I can find on the internet
Prep Club for GRE Bot
[#permalink]
 1   2   
Moderator: