Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 23:04 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 23:04

Close

GRE Prep Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GRE score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 33112 [7]
Given Kudos: 25173
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [0]
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [0]
Given Kudos: 43
Send PM
Re: The mind of a bigot is like the pupil of the eye: the more l [#permalink]
Is this even a GRE question? because it requires external knowledge
Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 33112 [0]
Given Kudos: 25173
Send PM
Expert Reply
kartiksharma1499 wrote:

such as ??
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [1]
Send PM
First of all, my great respect to Carcass for doing a wonderful job. He indeed is a great asset to those trying to crack the GRE.

It seems, this is not the official question. Rather, it is derived from an official question first appeared on the BigBook (Q3, page 491, Big Book Old GRE).

Here is the link:

Following adapted to SE format.

[I have noticed that I cannot link to the other GREClub posts till I have 10 posts. I will come here later and make the link]

This question primarily tests 3 things
i) the usage of colon ( : )

ii) how the parallel structure " the more X, more the Y " operates

iii) Analogical Thinking.

Analogies attempt to state the relationship between two things.

In the old GRE, analogies were tested explicity. Now the analogies are tested implicitly as is the case in the questions under discussion.

Here the "mind of the bigot" is being made analogous to the "pupil".

The problem is, the working of pupil when light "pours" on it is more specialized knowledge as compared to the analogous relationship established in the official question reproduced here for everyone's convenience:

A misconception frequently held by novice writers is that sentence structure mirrors thought: the more convoluted the structure, the more (i) _______ the ideas.

The analogous relationship depicted in the original question is very simple to decode.

However, the analogous relationship in this post's question requires specialized knowledge of the working of pupil. And the contextual cues mentioned in the sentence are not enough.

Therefore, I will dismiss this question.

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [1]
Send PM
The mind of a bigot is like the pupil of the eye: the more l [#permalink]
kartiksharma1499 wrote:

My recommendation is do not worry about this thing at all.

In fact, develop habit to link the GRE Verbal sentences to what you already know.

You'll be surprised how easy the things will become to comprehend.

Though I am not with you, but I can bet my last dollar this must have happened to you:
You just read an interesting article about black holes in another galaxy, and then not retain a single damn piece of it afterward.

Why?

Because you never studied the foundational information about astronomy, which means you have no knowledge base to connect this new information to.

This is important: All of learning is connecting something you don’t know to something you do know.

Our brain yearns to have a starting point.

Connect with what you already know.

Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [1]
Given Kudos: 43
Send PM
MuhammadAliTariq wrote:
First of all, my great respect to Carcass for doing a wonderful job. He indeed is a great asset to those trying to crack the GRE.

It seems, this is not the official question. Rather, it is derived from an official question first appeared on the BigBook (Q3, page 491, Big Book Old GRE).

Here is the link:

Following adapted to SE format.

[I have noticed that I cannot link to the other GREClub posts till I have 10 posts. I will come here later and make the link]

This question primarily tests 3 things
i) the usage of colon ( : )

ii) how the parallel structure " the more X, more the Y " operates

iii) Analogical Thinking.

Analogies attempt to state the relationship between two things.

In the old GRE, analogies were tested explicity. Now the analogies are tested implicitly as is the case in the questions under discussion.

Here the "mind of the bigot" is being made analogous to the "pupil".

The problem is, the working of pupil when light "pours" on it is more specialized knowledge as compared to the analogous relationship established in the official question reproduced here for everyone's convenience:

A misconception frequently held by novice writers is that sentence structure mirrors thought: the more convoluted the structure, the more (i) _______ the ideas.

The analogous relationship depicted in the original question is very simple to decode.

However, the analogous relationship in this post's question requires specialized knowledge of the working of pupil. And the contextual cues mentioned in the sentence are not enough.

Therefore, I will dismiss this question.

Thank you so much!
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 51 [0]
Send PM
Hello from the GRE Prep Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GRE Prep Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
Prep Club for GRE Bot
[#permalink]
Moderators:
GRE Instructor
218 posts
GRE Instructor
1029 posts