Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 21:46 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 21:46

Close

GRE Prep Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GRE score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 183 [6]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Own Kudos [?]: 269 [1]
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 82 [3]
Given Kudos: 955
GRE 1: Q166 V162
Send PM
Re: Use of an augur [#permalink]
Original post needs rectification. Here's the actual from Manhattan GRE:

Use of an augur has steadily declined as scientific advancement has made such use less necessary. Therefore, the postulate that science will eventually (i)__________the use of augurs is (ii)__________.
Blank (i) Blank (ii)
annihilate specious
consummate plausible
supplant expeditious

Explanation
An augur is a “soothsayer, a prophet.” This argument claims that use of soothsayers is declining. The word “eventually” in the second sentence suggests that the trend established in the first sentence will continue: science will eventually supersede the use of augurs. In blank (i), look for a word that means “supersede.”

(A) Annihilate means “to destroy something, to defeat somebody easily and decisively.” This has as the correct negative spin we want, but it is too strong.
(B) Consummate means “to fulfill or make perfect.” This is the opposite of what we what.
(C) CORRECT. Supplant means “to take the place of, especially something inferior.” This is a perfect match, especially because the argument suggests with the phrase “has made such use less necessary” that the rise of science caused a decline in the use of augurs.

The word “therefore” at the beginning of the second sentence suggests that the second sentence is a logical conclusion drawn from the first sentence. There is no pivot word. Therefore, the second sentence should agree with the first sentence. As we have filled blank (i) with a word that agrees with the first sentence, blank (ii) should have a positive spin, such as “believable.”

(D) Specious means “falsely appearing to be true.” This is the opposite of what we want. Perhaps this word would make sense if the postulate were that science will “bring back” the use of augurs. However, none of the answer choices for blank (i) would be logically followed by this claim in blank (ii).
(E) CORRECT. Plausible means “believable, appearing likely to be true.” This has a positive spin and fits nicely.
(F) Expeditious means “prompt or quick.” This does not fit.

cbdscolin wrote:
Use of an augur has steadily declined as scientific advancement has made such use less necessary. Therefore, the postulate that science will eventually (i) _______ the use of augurs is (ii) _______.

Blank (i) Blank (ii)
annihilate plausible
supplant specious
consummate expeditious
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [1]
Given Kudos: 9
Send PM
Re: Use of an augur [#permalink]