Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 13:09 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 13:09

Close

GRE Prep Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GRE score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 182 [15]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Most Helpful Community Reply
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 101 [12]
Send PM
General Discussion
Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 33099 [0]
Given Kudos: 25173
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [0]
Send PM
Re: Astrophysicists are (i) _________ the fact that the Milky Wa [#permalink]
I also think its D as rest options are not suited.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [4]
Send PM
Bookmarks
The answer is C and the source is magoosh. Can anyone please correct it?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Send PM
Here, astrophysicists have to extrapolate another map of that kind and they are happy cause ordinary galaxy is easily can be mapped.. so they are heartened?

Posted from my mobile device Image
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Send PM
The blank should be a positive word, since the Milky Way is really ordinary and provides a convenient comparison to other galaxies for scientists. Therefore, "heartened by" fits.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Send PM
Surprise is tempting if you ignore the second half. But if you take that into consideration, heartened is a better fit.
GRE Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 1360 [0]
Given Kudos: 24
Send PM
Astrophysicists are (i) _________ the fact that the Milky Wa [#permalink]
Astrophysicists are (i) _________ the fact that the Milky Way is a totally unremarkable galaxy, since this very ordinariness affords them a template with which to make viable extrapolations concerning the structure and dynamics of many other galaxies—both known and unknown.

Astrophysicists feel or relate in some way to the fact that the Milky Way is a totally unremarkable galaxy. And what is the reason for this? They do so since it gives them a template with which to make viable extrapolations concerning the structure and dynamics of many other galaxies - both known and unknown.

So they should be feeling good about the ordinariness of the Milky Way galaxy.

The word choice is - heartened by
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Send PM
I think it should be C.
The passage states that the Galaxy is unremarkable and that it is this very feature of ordinariness that allows the astrophysics to do their job.
It only makes sense that astrophysicist would be happy about that fact
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [0]
Given Kudos: 14
Send PM
TrevorKleeTutor wrote:
Yeah, let me answer this one.

"Astrophysicists are (i) _________ the fact that the Milky Way is a totally unremarkable galaxy, since this very ordinariness affords them a template with which to make viable extrapolations concerning the structure and dynamics of many other galaxies—both known and unknown."

So they're actually pretty happy about the fact that it's unremarkable. This unremarkability means that they can figure out other galaxies, an opportunity they are now "afforded" to do (they couldn't before).

They're happy. Or, as one might say, it makes their hearts happy (they're heartened).

Surprised doesn't work here, as "since" means because. If they were surprised, we'd want something like "since they expected it to actually be remarkable."

What evidence do we have from the sentence that suggests that they are happy?
Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 33099 [0]
Given Kudos: 25173
Send PM
Expert Reply
infopro wrote:
TrevorKleeTutor wrote:

"Astrophysicists are (i) _________ the fact that the Milky Way is a totally unremarkable galaxy, since this very ordinariness affords them a template with which to make viable extrapolations concerning the structure and dynamics of many other galaxies—both known and unknown."

So they're actually pretty happy about the fact that it's unremarkable. This unremarkability means that they can figure out other galaxies, an opportunity they are now "afforded" to do (they couldn't before).

They're happy. Or, as one might say, it makes their hearts happy (they're heartened).

Surprised doesn't work here, as "since" means because. If they were surprised, we'd want something like "since they expected it to actually be remarkable."

Actually nowhere in the sentence
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [1]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
Astrophysicists are (i) _________ the fact that the Milky Wa [#permalink]
Carcass wrote:
infopro wrote:
TrevorKleeTutor wrote:

Actually nowhere in the sentence

The "ordinariness [of the Milky Way galaxy] AFFORDS them a template with which to make viable extrapolations". This should explain why the astrophysicists would be happy about an unremarkable/ordinary galaxy.

If the Milky Way was the only galaxy in the entire universe that behaved how it did, you would not be able to extrapolate how the milky way behaves onto others galaxies. But because the Milky Way is ordinary you can make extrapolations/predictions based on it.
Prep Club for GRE Bot
[#permalink]
Moderators:
GRE Instructor
218 posts
GRE Instructor
1029 posts