Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 13:16 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 13:16

Close

GRE Prep Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GRE score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 33119 [13]
Given Kudos: 25175
Send PM
Most Helpful Community Reply
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 918 [14]
Given Kudos: 0
General Discussion
Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 33119 [0]
Given Kudos: 25175
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Send PM
Re: Since 1980s, American governments have held an unquestioned, [#permalink]
explanation, please?
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 918 [1]
Proma wrote:
explanation, please?

see above for explanation!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [2]
Send PM
Since 1980s, American governments have held an unquestioned, fundamentalist-like belief in the ability of markets to solve all problems and have created a(n) (i)___ political culture that values dominance over cooperation. Dissenters found themselves (ii)____ as promoters of a "nanny stat" with citizen‘s individual choices being stripped by an overprotective government, or discredited as too (iii)___ to be national leaders.

So, I initially skipped the first blank and continued reading further to till the second blank.

Dissenters found themselves (ii)____ as promoters of a "nanny stat" with citizen‘s individual choices being stripped

To venerate is to respect greatly but if you're calling someone promoters to "nanny stat" that isn't showing nay respect at all so that's eliminated.
To vilify them seems like the correct option but lets move on to check the next option as well.
To exalt is to again speak highly of someone or to look up to someone, which doesn't seem to be the case here.

Moving onto the third blank: being stripped by an overprotective government, or discredited as too (iii)___ to be national leaders.

Clearly, an overprotective government is a soft government to my answer for the third blank is soft.

Finally moving back to the first blank: Since 1980s, American governments have held an unquestioned, fundamentalist-like belief in the ability of markets to solve all problems and have created a(n) (i)___ political culture that values dominance over cooperation.

To conciliate means to pacify something but those who choose dominance over cooperation obviously aren't looking to pacify things.
Next word is imperial which seems to be the right option since imperial is related to empires and kings/queens which aren't traits of a democracy but surely traits of fundamentalists.
Finally, checking the third word, rivaling is clearly incorrect. So, our correct choice is imperial.

The correct answer choices are: B, E and I.
GRE Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 1360 [0]
Given Kudos: 24
Send PM
Since 1980s, American governments have held an unquestioned, fundamentalist-like belief in the ability of markets to solve all problems and have created a(n) (i)___ political culture that values dominance over cooperation. Dissenters found themselves (ii)____ as promoters of a "nanny stat" with citizen‘s individual choices being stripped by an overprotective government, or discredited as too (iii)___ to be national leaders.

The political culture is described as valuing dominance over cooperation. Thus imperial is the correct choice.The choice conciliatory, which implies willing to listen and accommodate the other other is ruled out as it is the exact opposite of what we are looking for. There is no indication othat the political culture was rivaling with others for dominance, thus rivaling is ruled out.

Since dissenters were described as promoters of a "nanny state" with implied derogation, a state where citizen‘s individual choices being stripped by an overprotective government, the choice has to be vilified, The dissenters position is the exact opposite of those who believe in the ability of markets to solve all problems. Therefore, they could not be exalted or venerated.

If you are puissant, it means you are powerful. And you can be a national leader. So that is ruled out. Nothing prevents an austere person to function effectively as a national leader. But you can be discredit as too soft to be a national leader.
GRE Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 1360 [1]
Given Kudos: 24
Send PM
Carcass wrote:

Blank (i) Blank (ii) Blank (iii)
conciliatory venerated austere
imperial vilified puissant
rivaling exalted soft

Typo - it should be a "nanny state" and not a "nanny stat"
Prep Club for GRE Bot
[#permalink]
Moderators:
GRE Instructor
218 posts
GRE Instructor
1029 posts