Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 02:25 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 02:25

Close

GRE Prep Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GRE score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 1965 [17]
Given Kudos: 0
GRE 1: Q165 V161
Send PM
Most Helpful Expert Reply
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 1965 [6]
GRE 1: Q165 V161
Send PM
General Discussion
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [1]
Send PM
Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 33099 [1]
Given Kudos: 25173
Send PM
Re: Mechanisms develop whereby every successful species [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Surpass is when to catch up something and move over.

Not only that, the sense of the entire sentence is like the following.

A certain species having both X AND Y (x and y are referring to certain characteristics that it has or holds at the same time) and the same species RECONCILE (reconcile means compound, unite) then at that point the mechanisms develop.

As such, surpass is wrong for the reason above.

Hope this helps.

Regards
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 82 [0]
Send PM
soumya1989 wrote:

Explanation

“Enhance,” for example, may fit nicely with “its innate capacity,” but it does not make sense with “constraints.”

Doesn't the adjective "successful" imply that the species is successful in population growth INSPITE the restraints posed by the environment?
That's why I chose "enhance"
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 101 [4]
Send PM
Mechanisms develop whereby every successful species can (i) __________ its innate capacity for population growth with the constraints that arise through its interactions with the natural environment.

A enhance
B replace
C produce
D surpass
E reconcile

So, the key words here are "a successful species", and "with the constraints". What can you do with the constraints, if you're successful? You can't surpass the capacity with the constraints, or enhance the capacity with the constraints. You can only reconcile the capacity with the constraints.
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 918 [0]
Zohair123 wrote:
soumya1989 wrote:

Explanation

“Enhance,” for example, may fit nicely with “its innate capacity,” but it does not make sense with “constraints.”

Doesn't the adjective "successful" imply that the species is successful in population growth INSPITE the restraints posed by the environment?
That's why I chose "enhance"

"INSPITE" is not mentioned in the sentence, so you can't assume that it was implied.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Send PM
I was torn between enhance and reconcile. However, the word constraint led me think that a person reconciles with a situation (potentially bad) and moves on. Hence, option E
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
soumya1989, can you please clarify the meaning of the sentence? I have a HARD time to understand how innate capacity can be reconciled with the constraint.
Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 33099 [1]
Given Kudos: 25173
Send PM
Mechanisms develop whereby every successful species [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Mechanisms develop whereby every successful species can (i) __________ its innate capacity for population growth with the constraints that arise through its interactions with the natural environment.

The evolution has a step forward WHEN some species (animals of that specific species) reconcile = create a balance in a particular scenario WHERE on one hand we have to have an increase in the population of that particular species we are considering ANDDDDD the forces, limitations, constraints, scarce resources come from the environment in which that specific species inhabit.

Indeed, the balance is the interplay between the evolution and growth and the limitation of the external environment

Hope now is more clear
Prep Club for GRE Bot
[#permalink]
Moderators:
GRE Instructor
218 posts
GRE Instructor
1029 posts