Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 09:13 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 09:13

Close

GRE Prep Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GRE score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 1965 [33]
Given Kudos: 0
GRE 1: Q165 V161
Send PM
Most Helpful Community Reply
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 11680 [16]
Given Kudos: 136
Send PM
General Discussion
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 1965 [4]
GRE 1: Q165 V161
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [0]
Send PM
Re: Wills argues that certain malarial parasites [#permalink]
soumya1989 wrote:

Explanation

The “Yet” that begins the second sentence indicates that Wills’ position would be supported by evidence that the newer parasites are in humans, the more harmful they are. So Wills’ position must be that more recent parasites are especially harmful, implying that “malignant” is the correct choice for the first blank. What follows “therefore” is a potential explanation for the trend that Wills expects, namely an evolution toward harmlessness, implying “benignity” for the third blank, with newer species having had “insufficient” time (second blank) to evolve toward harmlessness.
Thus, the correct answer is malignant (Choice B), insufficient (Choice E), and benignity (Choice H).

Please explain why the third blank inclines toward harmlessness? What is the clue for this?
Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 33105 [3]
Given Kudos: 25173
Send PM
Expert Reply
The question had medium tag as difficulty. However, it is hard indeed.

The “Yet” that begins the second sentence indicates that Wills’ position would be supported by evidence that the newer parasites are in humans, the more harmful they are.

the clue is Yet.

Actually, the overall meaning is that parasites mute them into harmless host if stay longer inside humans. However, we do not have enough information to ascertain this with certainty. It is just another supposition.

Now is more clear ??

The key to solve TC is to catch as close as possible the meaning of the sentence as whole.

Regards
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 17 [0]
Send PM
Quote:
because they have more recently entered humans than other species and therefore have
had (ii)__________ time to evolve toward (iii)__________.

I think this question is a stretch, because how are we to know that mosquitoes evolve towards benignity, the longer they are exposed to their human hosts? At the same time, the other two choices do not work.

I think this question asks us to make quite a bit of a logical leap, maybe a bit too much!

By the way, what is OG SECOND REVISED EDITION?
Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 33105 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
It is the GRE (by ETS) Official Guide 2nd edition.

There is also the latest, the 3rd Editon but it is identical to the second edition.

look here to see all the questions from the Official Guides and relative questions explained

https://gre.myprepclub.com/forum/the-offic ... -8020.html

Regards
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 173 [0]
Given Kudos: 96
Send PM
GreenlightTestPrep wrote:
soumya1989 wrote:
Wills argues that certain malarial parasites are especially (i)__________ because they have more recently entered humans than other species and therefore have had (ii)__________ time to evolve toward (iii)__________. Yet there is no reliable evidence that the most harmful Plasmodium species has been in humans for a shorter time than less harmful species.

Blank (i)Blank (ii)Blank (iii)
A. populousD. ampleG. virulence
B. malignantE. insufficientH. benignity
C. threatenedF. adequateI. variability

Practice Test Questions
Question: 20
Page: 327

Most of the contextual clues come from the last sentence, in which we're told that "there is no reliable evidence that the most harmful Plasmodium species has been in humans for a shorter time than less harmful species."

To paraphrase: We can't be certain about the theory that some HARMFUL species has been in humans for LESS TIME than LESS harmful species.
This tells us that the first sentence must suggest that the LONGER a species has been in humans, the LESS harmful that species becomes.

To paraphrase the first sentence, we have: Wills argues that certain malarial parasites are especially (i)__________ because they'e been in humans for LESS TIME than other species. This REDUCED TIME means the parasites had (ii)__________ time to evolve toward (iii)__________.

If those parasites have had LESS TIME in humans, then those parasites will be more HARMFUL than other parasites. Predict HARMFUL for the first blank.

The reduced time in humans, means the parasites has NOT ENOUGH time to evolve into LESS HARMFUL parasites.
Predict NOT ENOUGH for the second blank, and predict LESS HARMFUL for the third blank.

Check the answer choices...

MALIGNANT, INSUFFICIENT and BENIGNITY.

Answer: B, E and H

Cheers,
Brent

Hello Brent

first, we have " Yet " as a clue that what will come after it will contrast before it . So, " the most harmfull will stay less than less harmful"
The before it either example contrast it or assert the opposite.

the first no choice but malignant.
The rest I don't know how to solve. May you explain ?
Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 33105 [2]
Send PM
Expert Reply
Wills argues that certain malarial parasites are especially (i)__________ because they have more recently entered humans than other species and therefore have had (ii)__________ time to evolve toward (iii)__________.

The first blank is a quality they parasites have and A and C are not words that describe a quality. Just from the grammar standing point you could to know the answer. Also

because they have more recently entered humans than other species

indicates us that the same parasites are particularly pernicious and dangerous.

therefore have had

This is a conclusion indicated by the signal word therefore ______

time to evolve

before the second blank we do have a conclusion, then a blank a,d then they have time to evolve. This leads us to think about they had a congruous time to evolve. They evolved with their own pace.

Adequate is the second blank which means they have the right time. congruous

time to evolve toward third blank.

Now

Yet there is no reliable evidence that the most harmful Plasmodium species has been in humans for a shorter time than less harmful species.

The last sentence, regardless of the signal word or not YET, equals the malignant of before to the less harmful parasites. Therefore, we do not have clear evidence that they are malignant. So the only word that fits the third blank is benignity.

As you can see YET or not you must understand the meaning of the sentence. What is saying to you. The message. What I can say more.

If you read whatever it is: an article on USA Today, a novel book, a supermarket flyer you do read to understand. Signal words and vocabulary alone will not save you at the end of the day if you do not understand the sentence

Hope this helps you.

Regards
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 173 [0]
Given Kudos: 96
Send PM
Carcass wrote:
Wills argues that certain malarial parasites are especially (i)__________ because they have more recently entered humans than other species and therefore have had (ii)__________ time to evolve toward (iii)__________.

The first blank is a quality they parasites have and A and C are not words that describe a quality. Just from the grammar standing point you could to know the answer. Also

because they have more recently entered humans than other species

indicates us that the same parasites are particularly pernicious and dangerous.

therefore have had

This is a conclusion indicated by the signal word therefore ______

time to evolve

before the second blank we do have a conclusion, then a blank a,d then they have time to evolve. This leads us to think about they had a congruous time to evolve. They evolved with their own pace.

Adequate is the second blank which means they have the right time. congruous

time to evolve toward third blank.

Now

Yet there is no reliable evidence that the most harmful Plasmodium species has been in humans for a shorter time than less harmful species.

The last sentence, regardless of the signal word or not YET, equals the malignant of before to the less harmful parasites. Therefore, we do not have clear evidence that they are malignant. So the only word that fits the third blank is benignity.

As you can see YET or not you must understand the meaning of the sentence. What is saying to you. The message. What I can say more.

If you read whatever it is: an article on USA Today, a novel book, a supermarket flyer you do read to understand. Signal words and vocabulary alone will not save you at the end of the day if you do not understand the sentence

Hope this helps you.

Regards

The second blank in the book in insufficient not adequate. This is my puzzle !
Verbal Expert
Send PM
Expert Reply
Yeah you are right . Sorry. yesterday I was tired.

Basically , even if they were malignant did not have enough time to evolve, having a malignity behave.

I.E they have an INadequate time or insufficient time.

Regards
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 15 [0]
Given Kudos: 16
Send PM
Please explain the third blank. Why not virulence?
Verbal Expert
Send PM
Expert Reply
sud298 wrote:
Please explain the third blank. Why not virulence?

Sir please, did you see the explanation above provided by Brent and carcass ??

what still not convince you ??
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 51 [0]
Send PM
Hello from the GRE Prep Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GRE Prep Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
Prep Club for GRE Bot
[#permalink]
Moderators:
GRE Instructor
218 posts
GRE Instructor
1029 posts