Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 06:11 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 06:11

Close

GRE Prep Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GRE score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 33105 [3]
Given Kudos: 25173
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Send PM
Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 33105 [0]
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 35 [0]
Given Kudos: 38
Send PM
Re: Scientific discovery is generally (i) process, building on and supplem [#permalink]
Why is it paradigms if exemplar and paradigm are synonyms?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Re: Scientific discovery is generally (i) process, building on and supplem [#permalink]
pls provide explanation for this text
Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 33105 [1]
Send PM
Expert Reply
Scientific discovery is generally (i) ______ process, building on and supplementing the discoveries made by previous researchers.

USUALLY THE DISCOVERIES ARE a process of add up, one after one another. So the first blank is cumulative

But those discoveries that tend to alter the trajectory of human thought are often made in isolation of previous (ii) ______

Shift word BUT: sometimes the trajectory is unusual so the previous paradigms (discoveries) are isolated processes

Darwin's discovery of evolution, for example, though mainstream today, was not obviously (iii) _______ by the work of any naturalists before him.

for example Darwin's theory, which now is common to know, at the time was not anticipated by anyone at the time

Ask or further assistance
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
Scientific discovery is generally (i) process, building on and supplem [#permalink]
Carcass wrote:
Scientific discovery is generally (i) ______ process, building on and supplementing the discoveries made by previous researchers. But those discoveries that tend to alter the trajectory of human thought are often made in isolation of previous (ii) ______ Darwin's discovery of evolution, for example, though mainstream today, was not obviously (iii) _______ by the work of any naturalists before him.

Blank (i) Blank (ii) Blank (iii)
A. a cumulative D. calculations G. hindered
B. an erroneous E. exemplars H. contended
C. an impertinent F. paradigms I. anticipated

Could you please explain how is the last sentence of the text connected with the first two? I mean, Darwin's work could not have been anticipated by the work naturalists before him but how does this connect with the idea that some discoveries are isolated from the previous ones?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 19 [0]
Given Kudos: 103
Send PM
How do we select between Option E. exemplar and Option F. paradigm?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
Send PM
Carcass wrote:
Scientific discovery is generally (i) ______ process, building on and supplementing the discoveries made by previous researchers.

USUALLY THE DISCOVERIES ARE a process of add up, one after one another. So the first blank is cumulative

But those discoveries that tend to alter the trajectory of human thought are often made in isolation of previous (ii) ______

Shift word BUT: sometimes the trajectory is unusual so the previous paradigms (discoveries) are isolated processes

Darwin's discovery of evolution, for example, though mainstream today, was not obviously (iii) _______ by the work of any naturalists before him.

for example Darwin's theory, which now is common to know, at the time was not anticipated by anyone at the time

Carcass,

Paradigms and exemplars are same in meaning so which one to select depending on the context.
Verbal Expert
Send PM
Expert Reply
vinod1986 wrote:
Carcass wrote:

Carcass,

Paradigms and exemplars are same in meaning so which one to select depending on the context.

Good question but I think is pivotal your knowledge comes into the picture.

It is true that exemplar means a role model and paradigm as well. But when it comes to research or new discovery the paradigm is what we use to

Since we do need a concept that will be the bedrock years to come

Regards
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 46 [0]
Given Kudos: 86
Send PM
Scientific discovery is generally (i) process, building on and supplem [#permalink]
i think this question have a Grammar error (of previous (ii) ______ "",""Darwin's discovery of evolution) a comma should be inserted here
Verbal Expert
Send PM
Expert Reply
mustafaaldory079 wrote:
i think this question have a Grammar error (of previous (ii) ______ "",""Darwin's discovery of evolution) a comma should be inserted here

at all.

Inserting a comma ther where you do not have two independent clauses and join with a comma which is a comma splice

GBut there you do not have both
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
Send PM
This does not seem like an official question, while correct otherwise, the choices - Examplar and Paradigm are nearly synonymous and only differ by supposed usage in particular contexts. Not a solid reason imo.
Prep Club for GRE Bot
[#permalink]
Moderators:
GRE Instructor
218 posts
GRE Instructor
1029 posts