Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 19:39 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 19:39

Close

GRE Prep Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GRE score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 33099 [10]
Given Kudos: 25173
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 209 [4]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 33099 [0]
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 17 [2]
Send PM
Re: Historically, arguments against womens suffrage (i) [#permalink]
I love this question.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [2]
Send PM
Bookmarks
Really difficult to understand the concept of the first blank. Will it be possible to elaborate on all the 3 choices: ran the gamut, ran the gauntlet and held the line.
Verbal Expert
Send PM
Expert Reply
The official OE

Quote:
The first blank requires something that means ranged. The clue is the two very different beliefs described—that women’s votes would be the opposite of their husbands’, or that the votes would be the same and therefore “redundant.” The idiom “ran the gamut” gets this across (much like the expression “from A to Z”). Though similar-sounding, “ran the gauntlet” means withstood an attack from all sides. “Held the line” has many meanings, some figurative and others more literal, but often is used to mean “imposed a limit.” In the second blank, “ape” means mimic or copy, agreeing with “making their votes redundant.” “Override” (cancel or negate) agrees with “cancel out their husbands’ votes” but the second claim should be in contrast with the first.

“Disclaim” means deny, which doesn’t agree with “redundant.” “While once,” signals that the third blank requires something that goes against “convincing.” Meaning mediocre or of poor quality, “shabby” fits. It can describe clothes or furniture, but is often used metaphorically (such as in the expression “not too shabby,” which can describe any job well done). “Ponderous” (awkward or dull) does not oppose “convincing,” and “cogent” is actually a synonym for “convincing.”

Ask for further assistance.

Regards
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [1]
Send PM
b,e,h
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [1]
Send PM
why is B the choice? For me the 'range' clue is subtle.
Verbal Expert
Send PM
Expert Reply
Honestly, I did not get what you meant :(
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [1]
Send PM
"The first blank should be 'range' the nearest choice is ''ran the gamut''"

I meant "range" is not mentioned in the sentence or paraphrased. I have completely missed this pivot. Can you please elaborate?
Verbal Expert
Send PM
Expert Reply
Ran the gamut = to encompass an entire range of something

Previously, we did not give the universal suffrage to women because several reasons: they ranged (ran the gamut ) from canceling out their husband' vote (The husband voted for Republicans and the woman voted for Democratic) to APE (which means to mock the husband's vote, which means the women voted but indeed they did not have a real consciousness of what they did, voting).

Once these reasons were somehow grounded, now they are shabby, inconsistent.

My personal opinion, especially questions from the verbal side, which are NOT official questions, they do not mimic very close the real ETS GRE exam.

They rely heavinly upon weird, fancy, arcane words in the answer choices to make difficult the question but indeed the sentences are NOT very well constructed. They do not have the real appeal of verbal ETS questions.

They are good only to build up your stamina, not more than.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [1]
Send PM
I don't understand how by aping would cancel out their husbands’ votes--- If I vote for Party A and my wife votes for party A-- doesn't it make two votes. If I vote for Party A and my wife votes for Part B that will cancel out each others votes, no? Shouldn't it be override?
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 2118 [2]
Given Kudos: 140
GRE 1: Q168 V157

GRE 2: Q167 V161
Send PM
The sentence is saying that the women would just copy their husband's preference. Hence we need a word ape.

disclaim & override are similar in a sense so we can cancel them out.

turkish wrote:
I don't understand how by aping would cancel out their husbands’ votes--- If I vote for Party A and my wife votes for party A-- doesn't it make two votes. If I vote for Party A and my wife votes for Part B that will cancel out each others votes, no? Shouldn't it be override?
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 51 [0]
Send PM
Hello from the GRE Prep Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GRE Prep Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
Prep Club for GRE Bot
[#permalink]
Moderators:
GRE Instructor
218 posts
GRE Instructor
1029 posts