Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 17:52 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 17:52

Close

GRE Prep Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GRE score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 33111 [4]
Given Kudos: 25173
Send PM
Most Helpful Community Reply
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [2]
Given Kudos: 6
Send PM
General Discussion
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 2118 [1]
Given Kudos: 140
GRE 1: Q168 V157

GRE 2: Q167 V161
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 46 [1]
Given Kudos: 86
Send PM
Re: A skilled though (i)__________speaker, the party chairman was lauded f [#permalink]
yeah but don't you think that skill is not opposition of grandiloquent
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 2118 [1]
Given Kudos: 140
GRE 1: Q168 V157

GRE 2: Q167 V161
Send PM
Re: A skilled though (i)__________speaker, the party chairman was lauded f [#permalink]
Hey shubhanggigrover

Kudos to you for the fantastic explanation. I made a mistake comprehending the context. Added yours as the most helpful reply.

Thanks,
R

shubhanggigrover wrote:
ALL BUT HIS FOLLOWERS reveal that EVERYBODY was disinclined, discourteous, rather dissuaded by the "bombastic" (grandiloquent= grand+ eloquent) nature of his speech except his LOYAL followers. This indicates the adulating and obsequious nature of his followers.
GRE Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 1360 [0]
Given Kudos: 24
Send PM
A skilled though (i)__________speaker, the party chairman was lauded f [#permalink]
The fact that "the party chairman was lauded for the sophistication by which he conveyed its message" proves that he was not an unschooled speaker. He must have been eloquent or grandiloquent. But the sentence fragment "increasingly criticized for the bombast" proves that he was grandiloquent and is the right choice for the blank. The thought contrastor "but" in "but increasingly criticized for the bombast" implies that we must expect the opposite of adoration in the second part of the sentence. That is possible only by completing the second blank as "in the end, (ii)dissuaded all but his most loyal followers from supporting him". The word is dissuaded. Other than his loyal followers, nobody supported him.

The words from the choice list are grandiloquent and dissuaded.

The choices are C and D.
Prep Club for GRE Bot
[#permalink]
Moderators:
GRE Instructor
218 posts
GRE Instructor
1029 posts