Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 17:53 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 17:53

Close

GRE Prep Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GRE score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 33111 [0]
Given Kudos: 25173
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [1]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [0]
Send PM
Verbal Expert
Send PM
Re: The controversy surrounding the election dragged on for months, and th [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Are you pointing out the blank is wrong,positioned?

I am not to able to check now unfortunately.

Let me know sir

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [1]
Send PM
Re: The controversy surrounding the election dragged on for months, and th [#permalink]
i have verified the question in the kaplan book. the question in the book is as follows;
Q. The controversy surrounding the election dragged on for
months, and the lack of a definite victor ________ governance
and left people anxious about the future of their leadership.
A facilitated
B augmented
C forestalled
D lowed
E abetted

So, the question posted here has a wrong blank position.
Verbal Expert
Send PM
The controversy surrounding the election dragged on for months, and th [#permalink]
Expert Reply
yes sir. My bad I do not how it happened. I fixed it. many thanks and sorry again

For the rest of the sentence is correct as reported. However, in my opinion, after LEFT should be placed a comma and NOT and ......

Ask if something is still unclear
Verbal Expert
Send PM
The controversy surrounding the election dragged on for months, and th [#permalink]
Expert Reply
The sentence should look like this

The controversy surrounding the election dragged on for months, and the lack of a definite victor (i) ________ governance and left people anxious about the future of their leadership.

The controversy surrounding the election dragged on for months, lacking of a definite victor (i) ________ governance , left people anxious about the future of their leadership.

The controversy surrounding the election dragged on for months, lacking of a definite victor (i) ________ governance , left people anxious about the future of their leadership.

lacking of a definite victor (i) ________ governance Incidental phrase
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [0]
Send PM
No sir, the comma position is correct. it is an oxford comma so it should come before "and". it should not be lacking of definite victor. grammatically incorrect. it should be lack of a definite victor.
Verbal Expert
Send PM
Expert Reply
OE - C

The people are anxious because they do not know who will be leading them, which will limit or hinder leadership or governance; your answer will reflect this. Choices (A) facilitated, (B) augmented, and (E) abetted all have meanings of “strengthened” or ”increased.” Choice (D) lowed might be tempting because it resembles ”lowered,” but the verb “low” means to make the sound of a cow. Choice (C) forestalled is the only option that means “restricted” or “slowed down.”
Prep Club for GRE Bot
[#permalink]
Moderators:
GRE Instructor
218 posts
GRE Instructor
1029 posts