Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 03:16 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 03:16

Close

GRE Prep Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GRE score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 33114 [9]
Given Kudos: 25174
Send PM
Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 33114 [2]
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [1]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Send PM
Re: As the finances of the energy-trading firm began unraveling, what even [#permalink]
Actually I am not clear about blank i) and ii)
Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 33114 [1]
Send PM
Re: As the finances of the energy-trading firm began unraveling, what even [#permalink]
Expert Reply
1)
As the finances of the energy-trading firm began unraveling,

Here the suggestion from this modifier is that we are going to uncover the financial situation of a firm. Now, usually when something comes up in a similar scenario is something bad about the position or statement of the firm itself. Think about the real business world: IF all is fine: the balance sheet, the auditors have nothing to point out to the firm, then all is fine. Here, something is going on badly for it

2)
what eventually became (i) ________ was that the company had been concocting “value” out of thin air,

the meaning of this portion of the sentence is that, as in the financial gergo, the firm from its conducting it is selling to the stakeholders and shareholders (maybe) is fluff, nothing, fried air. It is carving "value" from nothing concrete. So, what is really clear, as the situation is emerging, is that without a shadow of the doubt, the firm is making a fraud. So B is the clear win word here.

3)
thanks not to the trading strategies it promoted as visionary but to financial (ii) ________ that turned a once-solid entity into the most notorious (iii) ________ in an era of corporate scandals.

The "value" out of thin air is the clear result of a game (think about the Ponzi Scheme for instance) which turned what was a solid and well-established firm into a debacle, a complete failure in an era of corporate scandals.

Hope this helps now
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
the company had been concocting “value” out of thin air means?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 200 [2]
Send PM
taukir wrote:
the company had been concocting “value” out of thin air means?

The company was showing false values (not real values).
Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 33114 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
Great sukrut :)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
why not vindicated for blank a? "what eventually became suggests that in the past there were some indications of misdoings?
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 837 [2]
Given Kudos: 194
GRE 1: Q167 V156
GPA: 4
WE:Analyst (Investment Banking)
Send PM
afjagew wrote:
why not vindicated for blank a? "what eventually became suggests that in the past there were some indications of misdoings?

Hi There!

You are correct. But, vindicated means to clear of the blame or suspicion. And the sentence is not indicating any such thing. You can read the above explanation provided by the carcass it will surely help!

Hope this helps!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 17 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Send PM
Blank (i)

As the finances of the energy-trading firm began unraveling, what eventually became unmistakable was that the company had been concocting "value" out of thin air.

Explanation: As the firm's financial situation began to be uncovered, what finally became clear (unmistakable means clear/apparent/undoubted) was that the company was trying to show false values.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 51 [0]
Send PM
Hello from the GRE Prep Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GRE Prep Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
Prep Club for GRE Bot
[#permalink]
Moderators:
GRE Instructor
218 posts
GRE Instructor
1029 posts