Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 00:43 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 00:43

Close

GRE Prep Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GRE score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 33099 [15]
Given Kudos: 25173
Send PM
Most Helpful Community Reply
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 27 [7]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
General Discussion
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 129 [1]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [1]
Given Kudos: 12
Send PM
Re: Although she felt Steve (i)____________ the subtlety of the [#permalink]
merdekagre wrote:
Although she felt Steve (i)____________ the subtlety of the delicious stew recipe with his addition of the sweet potato
Steve makes changes with his addition of the sweet potato. Augmented (to add, to change) works best. Depleted (to decrease) and permeated (to pass into) is irrelevant

she thought the pungent onion (ii)____________ the otherwise (iii)____________ taste combination.
We must infer the first sentence to go to the second sentence.
Steve add sweet potato to augment the stew, while she thought the stew is already has a lot of taste (onion). The pungent onion is too many (overwhelmed). Satiated (to supply with anything to excess) is similar but not fit with the word taste. Exaggerated is also similar but I think it is wrong in the context of the sentence. The best choice is overwhelmed
The taste is overwhelmed by onion. So the taste is moderate. Delicate works best. Zesty (energetic) is irrelevant. Detestable is also irrelevant.

Hope it helps

If we look at the 1st sentence individually A satisfies the sentence but why A cannot be an answer as we do not have a word in 3rd blank to compliment it.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 42
Send PM
I am wondering if we could use A, F, and I for the answer.
Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 33099 [1]
Send PM
Expert Reply
OE

Start with the second blank. The clue pungent tells you this onion did something bad to the delicious stew. Exaggerated and satiated are positive; overwhelmed is the only fit. The trigger otherwise tells you to change direction from the third blank’s clue of pungent. Look for a word that means subtle or soft. Only delicate fits. For the first blank, the clue is that Steve’s stinky onion hurt the delicate stew. The trigger although tells you to change direction. So, this addition of the sweet+ potato was good. Only augmented fits.
Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 33099 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
Ask if something is still unclear sir
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 87
Send PM
Although she felt Steve (i)____________ the subtlety of the delicious stew recipe with his addition of the sweet potato, she thought the pungent onion (ii)____________ the otherwise (iii)____________ taste combination.

Why can't it be C, E, H (Zesty- flavour)
Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 33099 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
Although she felt Steve (i)____________ the subtlety of the delicious stew recipe with his addition of the sweet potato, she thought the pungent onion (ii)____________ the otherwise (iii)____________ taste combination.

Notice the words contrast at the beginning of the sentence

Even though Steve cooked a wonderful dish, making it delicious and adding potatoes, she thinks that he made a mistake adding onion otherwise the taste was very delicate. H means spicy and as such is out of scope.

here the gist of the sentence is that the dish was overall delicate even though the taste itself was a bit covered by the onion flavor

I hope now is clear
Prep Club for GRE Bot
[#permalink]
Moderators:
GRE Instructor
218 posts
GRE Instructor
1029 posts