Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 15:15 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 15:15

Close

GRE Prep Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GRE score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
GRE 1: Q160 V156

GRE 2: Q165 V157
Send PM
Target Test Prep Representative
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Own Kudos [?]: 5260 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Send PM
Target Test Prep Representative
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Own Kudos [?]: 5260 [0]
Send PM
Re: My GRE Experience + I Need Some Advice!! [#permalink]
Expert Reply
My pleasure!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Send PM
very good post. I think you miss the most-rewarded test practice platform called TCYonline. (Suggestion based on my personal experience.)
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Hi, recently i have score 274 in gre verbal-130 and quant-144, this is my second attempt of gre exam.I prepared it for 3 months, I have done so many of practice tests even though i got that score.I really got exhausted to write exam for next time, still i did't write IELTS exam for first time in ielts i scored 5.5.I thought an to join in this spring but it looks like i couldn't join for masters in USA.So can you suggest me what to do and will I get admit in any college or should I give another attempt of exam.Will i get admission in any state universities for Masters in USA.

Please can you guide me.
GRE Prep Club Tests Editor
Affiliations: Partner at MyGuru LLC.
Own Kudos [?]: 323 [0]
GMAT 1: 770 Q51 V44
GRE 1: Q169 V168
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
Expert Reply
komuravelly wrote:
Hi, recently i have score 274 in gre verbal-130 and quant-144, this is my second attempt of gre exam.I prepared it for 3 months, I have done so many of practice tests even though i got that score.I really got exhausted to write exam for next time, still i did't write IELTS exam for first time in ielts i scored 5.5.I thought an to join in this spring but it looks like i couldn't join for masters in USA.So can you suggest me what to do and will I get admit in any college or should I give another attempt of exam.Will i get admission in any state universities for Masters in USA.

Please can you guide me.

Hello!

I'll try to cover all of your points briefly.

First, I would say that a good baseline score goal to gain admissions to a US Master's program that most students should aspire to would be a 150 Q and 150 V or 300 overall. This is certainly not absolute, but a good generic target.

Moving forward, my primary GRE study recommendation would be to not limit your GRE prep to practice tests solely, but instead build a true study plan and curriculum using both Official ETS GRE Prep materials, but also a secondary more instructional text and potentially some sort of GRE prep instructor or tutor.

To that end I would recommend considering signing up for a free 30-minute lesson with myself and MyGuru through our GRE Prep Club promotion to learn about top ways to prep with no commitment required!

Hope this all helps and I look forward to potentially learning more about your GRE experience and how we can get your GRE journey on track!

~Stefan
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 41 [0]
Send PM
good luck to you!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Send PM
160Q 156V is a good score for Ph.D. degree application, but for appling the top programs, both Q&V score higher than 82% is recommended, when you look at the GRE scores for the top universities. 160Q and 156V are ranked 76% and 72%, respectively, according to the GRE percentile chart. If aiming at top programs, I would choose an online course or find an offline tutor to increase score, otherwise I would just follow the current study plan. Best result in application!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [0]
Send PM
@komuravelley, Verbal 130 means that your basic understanding of reading comprehension is weak, I would recommend you to start doing general reading from American magazines such as aldaily website. For Verbal, with this 130 score, dont touch any GRE book, focus on your fundamental concepts and then improve your strategies via GRE books.

For quant: you need to build your foundational concepts and for that I would recommend you to go through Manhattan Strategy guides (1-6 books). Once you are done with the guides, then do practice questions from Manhattan 5lb and then ETS and then Scholar Den website, which has real GRE type questions with time and data analytics to share your weak areas.

Please let me know if you have any further questions.
Goodluck!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [0]
Send PM
@drspence: Q 160 is a decent score, I would recommend you to practice questions from scholar den website and let me know what's your accuracy. If you have some conceptual gaps, then focus on improving those gaps before solving hard and very hard questions. Keep me posted with your progress.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [2]
GRE 1: Q160 V156

GRE 2: Q165 V157
Send PM
Update:

I retook the GRE in August 2019 and got 165Q 157V. I had offers of admission from several PhD programs. Very grateful
Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 33099 [0]
Given Kudos: 25173
Send PM
Expert Reply
Congratulations 8-)

Could share with us some feedback/impressions about the cam you did score very well. As well as the PhDs offered interests to you.

Best regards
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Thank you for the post. Really helpful.
Prep Club for GRE Bot
[#permalink]
Moderators:
Retired Moderator