Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 07:10 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 07:10

Close

GRE Prep Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GRE score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 173 [0]
Given Kudos: 96
Send PM
Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 33116 [0]
Given Kudos: 25175
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 22 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
Re: My GRE Experience [#permalink]
Carcass ,
1- Powerprep u mean the official guides 3 books " purple ones"?
So, what do I understand from your words that studying them and understanding them very well will sharpen my weapons ? But I did solve them before 3 months of the test honestly.

2- Yesterday was my test, I am waiting for the official results to be released then i will request the report. Or I can request it now ?

3- I feel more confident in the Qc . I attack the test the same of its sequence for verbal and quant.

4- Verbal: i know what is going on on the sentences , understand the colon and semi. i understand the words that are signs of contrast.

Posted from my mobile device Image
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
Carcass wrote:
From what I read in your post you do have several flaws in my opinion.

1) The fact that you have a good GPA and come from a background of Engineer tells us about how you could score during the gre almost nothing.

Yes, it is true you can have a solid quant background. However, the test is NOT, I repeat for being sure, the test is NOT a test in which you have a ZERO SUM. And I assume you do know what that means without delving too much in this concept.

2) You based most of your preparation on the material which is NON-official. That material is good only to build your stamina and confidence nothing more. The Powerprep is KING. it judges you and your performance before the test center.

3) Studying vocabs serve to score well on the verbal part like the dawn. As soon as the sun rises the nite is already over.

To score well you have to have a strong, powerful, rock-solid understanding of the sentence and/or the passage in front of you. I.E. what are you reading you understand it ?? you know the sentence ?' do you recognize the shift in it in terms of the possible time frame or punctuation such as a colon ??? what is going on in the sentence ?? do you see the relationship between/among the different part on a different level ??'

4) which is your strategy ?? what questions, for instance during the quant side, do you tackle first ?? PS or QCQ ? with which you are more confident ?'
Do you think have stamina ?? endurance ?? time- management ?' did you care each of these aspects ??

4A ) Specifically for the verbal side: do you read the passage or you get lost and jump to the questions and then back to the reading ?? back and forth back and forth back and forth ?? for SE do you are able to pair the answer choices ??' for TC which strategy do you have ??

This k about these questions and probably you could improve your score.

Do you have the official report ?' what did you get right or wrong ???

Regards

Moreover, regarding the SC and SE, I understand but some sentences and some I don't understand the keywords in the sentence.

For strategy:
1- I have poor Time management, for verbal I finish early but with a low score. For quant, the time fly from my hand actually. I always need to guess min. of 4 questions for the sake of not leaving any empty question. These guess could be solved right. " this poor management in verbal and quant. is held in the mock tests ".
2- For quant. The QCs strategy I try to apply the 6 strategies you gave me but I am concentrating on two actually, plugging numbers and matching operations. For Multiple choice- one choice, I look for the question first the solve it on the paper and choose the answer. If I'm given boundaries for Max and min. I work with them. For two choices, It depends on the question actually. For Numeric entry, solve it and plug the answer but usually in the practice questions I fail them, though they are easy, because I didn't concentrate on detail mentioned in the question.

For RC, I read all the passage and concentrate more on the first and last paragraphs and then I answer. I take notes on each passage what it contains. If the question request specific detail I go back to the pragraphs and sometimes I don't because I remember. Ironically I got it wrong.
for SE, I am able to pair but not all the times. It depends on the given words.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
kloppismydad wrote:
Asmakan wrote:
Good day All.

I took the GRE today.
It was against my expectations. Anyway, I will share all my experience and would like to hear from you.
I took Gre without studying : 151Q, 149V

First, Total time studied : 213 Hours

Second, First I tried to solve the Official guide of the GRE and were I got stuck I go and read the explanation. But then I've heard about Manhattan 5IB, so I bought it and solve All the Quant without any time management. Just trying to understand my falls and questions. Also, I purchased manhattan Gre 6tests. I studied the vocab 333 Barron's and some of magoosh.
Read the strategies and tried to apply them.

I Got Ironically, 152 Q, 141 V.

what happened today was that I was confused at the test and that lead me to mismanage my time, So the first part I lost it. I guessed maybe 7-9 questions which is dramatically BAD.

* the range means that I took several mocks on the websites.
the results Manhattan practice tests were showing " 155-160" Q, V"149-152"
ETS " 154-156" Q, Verbal "144-149"
Kaplan 161 Q, 145V.
These are the main practice and results.

So, I aim for Q 165-167, verbal 155.

I believe that there is something wrong I am doing, but I couldn't get it actually. I'm good at the math background since I'm an engineering student with 3.3 GPA.

I would like to hear from you guys, also thank you all for answering my questions specially Carcass and the board.

Hi Asmakan,

Thank you for sharing your test experience, and I'm sorry you did not get the score you were aiming for.

I highlighted the ETS practice test scores and your eventual score, and noticed there's no major difference. Did the pressure and anxiety of the test get to you? Just want to know how intimidating the test environment is.

Unfortunately, when I saw the time is flying from my hand I got frustrated.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 46 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
>>"7-9 questions which is dramatically BAD"
Hi , what exactly you mean by this? you mean they were very tough? or out of scope?

Asmakan wrote:
Good day All.

I took the GRE today.
It was against my expectations. Anyway, I will share all my experience and would like to hear from you.
I took Gre without studying : 151Q, 149V

First, Total time studied : 213 Hours

Second, First I tried to solve the Official guide of the GRE and were I got stuck I go and read the explanation. But then I've heard about Manhattan 5IB, so I bought it and solve All the Quant without any time management. Just trying to understand my falls and questions. Also, I purchased manhattan Gre 6tests. I studied the vocab 333 Barron's and some of magoosh.
Read the strategies and tried to apply them.

I Got Ironically, 152 Q, 141 V.

what happened today was that I was confused at the test and that lead me to mismanage my time, So the first part I lost it. I guessed maybe 7-9 questions which is dramatically BAD.

* the range means that I took several mocks on the websites.
the results Manhattan practice tests were showing " 155-160" Q, V"149-152"
ETS " 154-156" Q, Verbal "144-149"
Kaplan 161 Q, 145V.
These are the main practice and results.

So, I aim for Q 165-167, verbal 155.

I believe that there is something wrong I am doing, but I couldn't get it actually. I'm good at the math background since I'm an engineering student with 3.3 GPA.

I would like to hear from you guys, also thank you all for answering my questions specially Carcass and the board.
Prep Club for GRE Bot
[#permalink]
Moderators:
Retired Moderator
6218 posts