Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 02:57 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 02:57

Close

GRE Prep Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GRE score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 33099 [0]
Given Kudos: 25173
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 102 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Send PM
Re: GRE at home exam experience 311 (Q159, V 152) [#permalink]
aribanerjee wrote:
Carcass wrote:
Thank you so much for this debrief.

Feel free to ask how to improve. We would be happy to help you in the coming future.

Regards

Thank you Carcass,

I would greatly appreciate any insights experts like you may have on how to improve my score. I am certain that it was due to the glitches that my score took a beating. I know if I can give the exam again then I can score a 320+.

However, the quant was very very difficult. I thought Kaplan quant was hard but the real exam was horrible.

Thanks. Are we allowed to use rough paper for calculations? How does that work?
Verbal Expert
Send PM
Expert Reply
Note-taking Materials

You may not take notes on regular paper, for security purposes.
You may take notes using one of the following:
White board with erasable marker
Paper with transparent sheet protector and erasable marker
You will be asked to erase all notes in view of the proctor at the end of the test.

here the main discussion about the GRE at home https://gre.myprepclub.com/forum/gre-at-ho ... 17654.html

Regards
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 102 [0]
Send PM
Carcass wrote:
Note-taking Materials

You may not take notes on regular paper, for security purposes.
You may take notes using one of the following:
Whiteboard with an erasable marker
Paper with a transparent sheet protector and erasable marker
You will be asked to erase all notes in view of the proctor at the end of the test.

here the main discussion about the GRE at home https://gre.myprepclub.com/forum/gre-at-ho ... 17654.html

Regards

Given this lockdown situation in my city and country, I am not sure where I am going to search for a whiteboard and an erasable marker!
Verbal Expert
Send PM
Expert Reply
Sorry, I do not have a reasonable answer to this gargantuan problem :(
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [0]
Send PM
I took it last Friday and it was bruuutal. The quant was worse than the GMAT quant I used to study. No joke. I got a 164 and finished quant sections with no time to spare. The powerprep practice tests are not remotely similar to the real tests quant. It isn't just you who felt this way man. The test is far less "know the core concepts" and more logical reasoning you can't prepare for.

Posted from my mobile device Image
Verbal Expert
Send PM
Expert Reply
NickBass wrote:
I took it last Friday and it was bruuutal. The quant was worse than the GMAT quant I used to study. No joke. I got a 164 and finished quant sections with no time to spare. The powerprep practice tests are not remotely similar to the real tests quant. It isn't just you who felt this way man. The test is far less "know the core concepts" and more logical reasoning you can't prepare for.

Maybe you pick it up the experimental section ....

Moreover, did you take the GMAT ?? or just studied ?? to make a valuable comparison...

Can you do a review for the GPC ?? :)

Thanks
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [0]
Send PM
I studied GMAT quant but didn't take it. Want a full review on home page?

Verbal Expert
Send PM
Expert Reply
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Send PM
Hi All! Have you got any email post test? I have not received any email since the test? Is is the case for you guys? Should we just wait 10-15 days?
Verbal Expert
Send PM
Expert Reply
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 334 [0]
Given Kudos: 299
Send PM
Yes I read that GRE quant has become harder :( I switched to GRE because of harder quant of GMAT but this is so unfortunate that they have made this even more harder. At least the verbal section of GMAT was easy. GRE is overall tough for both verbal and quant now
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 334 [0]
Given Kudos: 299
Send PM
aribanerjee wrote:
Hey guys,

So I took the GRE at home version this weekend after about 1.5 weeks of preparation and it did not go well.

There were tons of glitches and major interruptions. Something that everyone will have to embrace in this format I guess. The following are my recommendations if anyone is planning to take the GRE at home or GMAT at home version.

1. Get mozilla firefox asap. Google chrome doesn't work with ProctorU very well. They have to run their own extension on the browser and it gives you a lot of trouble. For instance, I had a monitor hooked upto my personal laptop and an external Logitech camera. Google kept trying to connect to my laptop webcam and not my external webcam. This involved an hour of trouble shooting by their technician and one guy almost said that I dont have appropriate equipment for the exam. I showed him that my external webcam works just fine on Skype and then after almost an hour of delibration and installing firefox, they got the exam started. I was already tired by that time.

2. Do not underestimate GRE nor the marathon of an exam that it is. It is long and fatigue gets you by the end of the exam. I had a migraine and could barely keep my eyes open. The whole ordeal took me 6.5 hrs in place of 3.45 hrs. The two essay sections are very long and the experimental section is another lengthy addition to the exam.

In short, please practice with essays when you give the mocks. Only Kaplan gives you 5 sections (including experimental ones) for the mock exams and I'd recommend practicing with Kaplan exams.

3. GRE quant is very hard.

The mock exams made the GRE quant look so easy but the final exam was brutal. I'd say harder than GMAT quant. I dont know if ETS made the GRE harder for the home edition or not but the qs were nowhere near the difficulty I faced during my mock exams. I can say the same for my verbal section as well. The passages were extremely dense and long. I guess this is where GRE differs from GMAT in the sense that its not adaptive and GRE score purely depends on how many qs you can get correct. So you dont benefit from getting a harder section in the exam.

My scores leading upto the exams were;

1. 322 (Q162-V160)
2. 326 (Q166-V 160) and
3. 326 (Q166- V160).

But my final exam score was 311 (Q159 and V 152). I believe that the technical difficulties def played a role in hampering my score. I underperformed by a huge margin.

Contrary to the feelings of most people on this forum regarding taking the exam from home, I think I prefer the exam center experience over home anyday. It's also very distracting when the proctors try to chat with you during the exam and ask you to constantly remain in the camera at all times.

Concluding remarks:

Make sure that you are prepared for the ponderous, interminable and protracted version of the GRE exam, especially if you have been studying for GMAT and making the switch just to take advantage of the at home version and meet your deadlines. If you can wait this Covid-19 crisis out and go write it in the test centers then please do so. I'd still recommend the shorter GMAT version over this long test anyday.
Download firefox and be ready.
Finally, practice all the sections of the GRE in your mock exams, including the two essays and do not skip any sections.

Hope my debrief helps you and you dont make the same mistakes I made. Good luck with your exams and I hope everyone stays safe!

Do we have to attach external camera? What if we have one in laptop?
Verbal Expert
Send PM
Expert Reply
Farina wrote:
Yes I read that GRE quant has become harder :( I switched to GRE because of harder quant of GMAT but this is so unfortunate that they have made this even more harder. At least the verbal section of GMAT was easy. GRE is overall tough for both verbal and quant now

Totally agree. Basically, a paradox is ahead.

Before the quant side was easier and the verbal side tough

Now the quant side is tougher and ALMOST GMAT like but still the verbal is daunting. Moreover, RC section of the GRE is an overkill.

Whenever I do RC GRE and then GMAT 700 level RC passage for me is like a breeze.

Weird stuff along the way
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Wow, ty
Target Test Prep Representative
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Own Kudos [?]: 5260 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
Thank you for sharing!
Intern
Intern
Send PM
I studied GMAT quant but didn't take it. Want a full review on home page?
Prep Club for GRE Bot
[#permalink]
Moderators:
Retired Moderator
6218 posts