Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 03:43 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 03:43

Close

GRE Prep Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GRE score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [5]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 33100 [0]
Given Kudos: 25173
Send PM
Retired Moderator
Affiliations: Prepster Education
Own Kudos [?]: 2941 [2]
Given Kudos: 172
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 33100 [1]
Send PM
Re: GRE At Home Quant much harder than any practice paper [#permalink]
Expert Reply
If ETS would release an OG even every other year we woulòd be happy

We 'd have a better idea of the evolution of the test over time

ETS DOES NOT release something new for over SEVEN years

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 30 [1]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Bookmarks
Carcass KarunMendiratta Any tips on how to prepare for such lengthy/hard questions?
Verbal Expert
Send PM
Expert Reply
Bookmarks
The secret?? there is no secret

Strong fundamentals like an earthquake on a richer scale of 9.0 does not anything to them, does not shake

Rock-solid like a heck

https://gre.myprepclub.com/forum/gre-math- ... -2609.html

This is only what do you need
Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 33100 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
Oh and your logic and common sense :)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 30 [1]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Carcass wrote:

Strong fundamentals like an earthquake on a richer scale of 9.0 does not anything to them, does not shake

Rock-solid like a heck

I have used the book - it is quite useful, thank you for developing it. I think my main concern is that materials from ETS are not fully representative of the test any more since they were released 7 years back.

Reading the book was good to understand the fundamentals but in the end, doing the questions form a pattern recognition heuristic in the brain. I was wondering if you have any suggestions on what material to use for Quant to strenthen the fundamentals (in addition to ETS)? [I know that there's a lot of material in the forum, just wanted to understand your view point on doing which material would be the best use of time.]
Retired Moderator
Affiliations: Prepster Education
Own Kudos [?]: 2941 [1]
Given Kudos: 172
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
as005 wrote:
Any tips on how to prepare for such lengthy/hard questions?

Your concepts should be rock-solid as suggested by Carcass. I'm sure the Quant book provided here has every concept that you need.

My personal advice:

# When you start preparing initially, go for the Quantity (relevant questions and concepts of-course) and then for the Quality (near your exam).

# Solve variety of questions from different topics which will help you to to think out of the box! That is what GRE would require you to do on the test date.

# Try approaching the same question with different method (if any) and then decide which one takes you less time!

# Keep track of your time: Time management on this test to be particular is very crucial

# Make track record of questions attempted: Try solving a question, If you get it wrong or you guess the answer, Mark that question as wrong which you can save for later. Solve these questions before your exam (these will be good level questions)

# Never look at the answers/explanations if you get them wrong on the first attempt: try to re-do these questions by yourself and try to understand what went wrong on the first place?

No book or online exam can imitate actual GRE!
But all you can do is trying different resources to check your concepts and timing!

All the best!
Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 33100 [2]
Send PM
Expert Reply
as005 wrote:
Carcass wrote:

Rock-solid like a heck

I have used the book - it is quite useful, thank you for developing it. I think my main concern is that materials from ETS are not fully representative of the test anymore since they were released 7 years back.

Reading the book was good to understand the fundamentals but in the end, doing the questions form a pattern recognition heuristic in the brain. I was wondering if you have any suggestions on what material to use for Quant to strengthen the fundamentals (in addition to ETS)? [I know that there's a lot of material in the forum, just wanted to understand your viewpoint on doing which material would be the best use of time.]

Ok , let me explain to you.

First of all, Do you not think if ETS would do a major change in the test, such as the introduction of calculus, it would not rush to release a major update in its material ?' I think so.

The exam DID NOT change. it is always the same.

Perhaps, the students meet the experimental section...maybe yes maybe no. As matter of fact , why people say it is more difficult and others have 340 with the same material ?? what is the discrepancy ??

the gap is in the student himself/herself

let me give you an example : if I see a question in which from my experience I think the answer is D I mark D as answer. Right away. Maybe another student work on it for one minute and nail it.

But for me is easy and for him is medium. For me is medium and for him is hard

The contents are always the same but is different how YOu manipulate it and approach it.

Second. I see the PP3 online (if you google you can find it. of course, we do not have the minimum intention to post questions for copyright) and according to the rumors it is the closest to the real test. So ?? I see it the same.

Always the same twists, turns, and concepts tested

The real gist of the problem is NOT that the questions changed or are more difficult. The questions are trickiest but the is up to you how to manipulate. The time management. If you have in your arsenal some shortcut more that others. And so forth.

That's in my humble opinion the real truth

In short to your question, the answer is: there is no material through which you can have a better score. It is up to you and your attitude
Verbal Expert
Send PM
Expert Reply