Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 09:00 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 09:00

Close

GRE Prep Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GRE score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 10616 [8]
Given Kudos: 0
GRE 1: Q167 V156
WE:Business Development (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 10616 [0]
GRE 1: Q167 V156
WE:Business Development (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Send PM
Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 33105 [0]
Given Kudos: 25173
Send PM
Re: A machine works at a constant rate and produces a bolts in 1 [#permalink]
Expert Reply
What do you mean ?? about numbers
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [2]
Send PM
I am just guessing.

so just take - a produced in 15 min
b produced in c Hrs

hence, c hrs into 60c min

eqn becomes - a-------15
b-------60c
Its easier to take c as 1
so if a is 5 and multiplied by 3 gives 15 (5*3= 15)

therefore, b * 3= 60
b= 20

a=5, c=1, b=20 for completing an equation and moreover any other value taken for a,b,c would be a multiple of 5,1,20 resp.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Send PM
b = 4a, so
4a , 3ac => 4, 3c
so the two quantities have different result for smaller c and larger c,
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Send PM
babatee wrote:
sandy wrote:
Explanation

Plug in values.

If a = 5 and c = 1, then b = 20. In that situation Quantity A is larger; eliminate choices (B) and (C).

Plug In again to see if this is always the case. If a = 100 and c = 2, then b = 800.

Quantity A is still larger. There isn’t anything else you can try that would change the values, so choice A is the best answer.

How did you go about picking the numbers to plug in?

I'm wondering if this is a misprint. I have the text book and I've noticed a number of misprints that I had to check with other sources. I'd be wary though. Its far more likely that there is some subtle detail we are missing. I still don't understand this question. The explanation on this site is copied from the textbook and I don't see how they're getting "A" as the answer. I can pick numbers that make "B" the answer as well so I'm unsure how they are rationalizing it. Please someone help
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 200 [3]
Send PM
The machine produces 1 bolt (a) in 15 min. Thus, it produces 4 bolts (b) in 1 hour (c) (not in minutes).
Option A: 4
Option B: 3*1*1 = 3
So option A is greater.

After reading the comments I noticed that, many people are converting c from hours to minutes. That is not necessary to do here. Unless and until it is stated in the question that give your answer in bolts produced per minute, then only we need to convert. Since, in this question nothing like that is stated, just substitute the value of c and a as is.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [2]
Send PM
okay so firstly never assume anything is an integer unless clearly implied or explicitly stated. In this case, C is not necessarily an integer you can say 0.5 hours also.

here is an easy method to solve algebraically without any doubts:
b bolts will be produced in 60c minutes and b bolts will also be produced in 15b/a minutes so 60c = 15b/a b=4ac 4ac > 3ac since ac is positive. answer A
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 10
Send PM
Sharanjay wrote:
okay so firstly never assume anything is an integer unless clearly implied or explicitly stated. In this case, C is not necessarily an integer you can say 0.5 hours also.

here is an easy method to solve algebraically without any doubts:
b bolts will be produced in 60c minutes and b bolts will also be produced in 15b/a minutes so 60c = 15b/a b=4ac 4ac > 3ac since ac is positive. answer A

perfect
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 151 [0]
Given Kudos: 81
Concentration: , International Business
Send PM
Turtletobb wrote:
babatee wrote:
sandy wrote:
Explanation

Plug in values.

If a = 5 and c = 1, then b = 20. In that situation Quantity A is larger; eliminate choices (B) and (C).

Plug In again to see if this is always the case. If a = 100 and c = 2, then b = 800.

Quantity A is still larger. There isn’t anything else you can try that would change the values, so choice A is the best answer.

How did you go about picking the numbers to plug in?

I'm wondering if this is a misprint. I have the text book and I've noticed a number of misprints that I had to check with other sources. I'd be wary though. Its far more likely that there is some subtle detail we are missing. I still don't understand this question. The explanation on this site is copied from the textbook and I don't see how they're getting "A" as the answer. I can pick numbers that make "B" the answer as well so I'm unsure how they are rationalizing it. Please someone help

You are always safe to pick up any random number that you want in case of any algebric equation to avoid. I do not think there is any issue as you mentioned. COuld you be more specific, please?
GRE Prep Club Legend
GRE Prep Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 68 [0]
Send PM
Hello from the GRE Prep Club BumpBot!

Thanks to another GRE Prep Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
Prep Club for GRE Bot
[#permalink]
Moderators:
1085 posts
GRE Instructor
218 posts