Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 15:07 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 15:07

Close

GRE Prep Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GRE score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 33111 [5]
Given Kudos: 25173
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 675 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 2214 [4]
Given Kudos: 251
WE:Engineering (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 675 [0]
Send PM
Re: In the xy-plane, line n is a line that passes through t [#permalink]
pranab01 wrote:
IlCreatore wrote:
Choice A is wrong since it does not exclude the case in which a and b are equal so that the line has a slope of 1.
Choice C is right because it assures that the slope is greater than 1 without the risk of equality.

The one I do not get is choice B. If line m is perpendicular to n and it has a slope of -1, this means that line n has a slope of 1 that is not greater than 1. How could it be right?

Here it has asked "to determine whether the slope of line n is greater than 1"

since the slope of line n = 1 and it is not greater than 1 but equal to 1 , so option B is also correct.

You are right! Got it. I was too tired yesterday to get it right! Thanks!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [0]
Send PM
pranab01 wrote:
IlCreatore wrote:
Choice A is wrong since it does not exclude the case in which a and b are equal so that the line has a slope of 1.
Choice C is right because it assures that the slope is greater than 1 without the risk of equality.

The one I do not get is choice B. If line m is perpendicular to n and it has a slope of -1, this means that line n has a slope of 1 that is not greater than 1. How could it be right?

Here it has asked "to determine whether the slope of line n is greater than 1"

since the slope of line n = 1 and it is not greater than 1 but equal to 1 , so option B is also correct.

I don't really get why the answer choices are B and C? I don't understand why thatyio make B true?

Could you please explain further?
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 2214 [0]
Given Kudos: 251
WE:Engineering (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
Avraheem wrote:
I don't really get why the answer choices are B and C? I don't understand why thatyio make B true?

That's a rule ; The slope of line n is always equal the negative reciprocal of perpendicular line m
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [0]
Send PM
pranab01 wrote:
Avraheem wrote:

That's a rule ; The slope of line n is always equal the negative reciprocal of perpendicular line m

My problem is in understanding the question! I understand completely why the solutions, but i don't understand the question.

It says which one guarantee that we will have a slope > 1 for line n.

Choice A: is sufficient because we have the case when a = b, and we might as well have slope larger than 1. So it should be true.

Choice B: insures that line n will have a slope of 1, so it should be false too.

Choice C: insure that we will have (c,c), which will always give slope of 1 for line n, so it should be false.

None of them guarantee that we will have slope larger than 1 except A.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Send PM
@Avraheem, the question asks which of the options individually will help you determine if the slope of n will be greater than 1.

Options b and c give you concrete values - option B - slope is 1 - helps you determine if the line's slope is above 1, in this case it's not. Option C leads you towards a negative slope, which results in helping you decide if the slope is above 1 - nope.

Option A on the other hand, just tells you that the line doesn't pass through a point a,b where a>b and a and b are both positive. It could pass through any other points such that the slope will be positive or negative or 0. We can't use that particular information to decide whether the slope of line is above 1 or not. Hence B & C.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [1]
Send PM
I think the choice c is missing a data it should say c and d are positive otherwise if you take c and d negative slope becomes 1 and if you take c and d positive slope is over 1
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 151 [0]
Given Kudos: 81
Concentration: , International Business
Send PM
aliaydin wrote:
I think the choice c is missing a data it should say c and d are positive otherwise if you take c and d negative slope becomes 1 and if you take c and d positive slope is over 1

This question is purely ambiguous. It should say ' the slope is greater or equal to 1'.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [4]
Given Kudos: 14
Send PM
C should not be right. "Line n passes through the point (c, d +1) where c and d are consecutive integers and c > d." It is not excluded that c = 0 and d = -1, so that the point (c, d+1) = (0, 0) which is the origin. In this case, statement c does not tell us anything more than what we were already given. Thus, c does not suffice to determine whether or not the slope is greater than 1.
Prep Club for GRE Bot
[#permalink]
Moderators:
1085 posts
GRE Instructor
218 posts