Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 04:37 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 04:37

Close

GRE Prep Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GRE score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 33102 [15]
Given Kudos: 25173
Send PM
Most Helpful Community Reply
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 67 [11]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
General Discussion
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 31 [0]
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 51 [0]
Send PM
Re: The circle above has radius 8, and AD is parallel [#permalink]
Can someone explain how he/she is getting the angle DOA (O being the centre of the circle) to be 90 degrees?

Carcass wrote:

This question is part of GREPrepClub - The Questions Vault Project

Attachment:
circle (2).jpg

The circle above has radius 8, and AD is parallel to BC. If the length of arc AYD is twice the length of arc BXC, what is the length of arc BXC?

A. 2 π

B. 8 π/3

C. 3 π

D. 4 π

E. 16π/3
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 51 [0]
Send PM
AB and AD are not parallel. You just copied the explanation from the end of the book. I have now officially wasted an entire day on a stupid question. Thanks to this WRONG explanation. I drew the actual circle and the chords and this question is incorrect!

simon1994 wrote:
Because lines XB and AD are parallel The Angle AB is equal to the angle BC.

Now we have 2 inscribed angles of 45 degrees. Inscribed Angles = 1/2 central angles. SO we know that we have two central angles of 90 degrees, which make up 160/360 or 1/2 of the circumference of the circle.

(ARC AD + ARC BC) => we know Arc AD=2*ArcBC so combining these we have 3 Arc BC

To calculate the arcs we have to solve the following equation where we need to solve for a (ARC BC)

2(8)pi=3a + (1/2)(16pi) = 8/3pi

I hope this helped
Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 33102 [1]
Given Kudos: 25173
Send PM
Expert Reply
Bookmarks
This is the OE.

Quote:
Because the AD is parallel to BC, the measure of angle ACB is also 450. Angles CAD and ACB are both inscribed angles of the circle. The measures of the corre­sponding central angles are twice 450, or 90° each. Therefore, taken together, minor arcs AB and CD make up 180° of the entire circle, leaving 180° for arcs BXC and AYD. Because arc AYD is twice the length of arc BXC, arc BXC must correspond to a 6o° central angle and arc AYD to a 120° central angle. Therefore, arc BXC is \(\frac{60}{360} = \frac{1}{6}\) of the entire circumference of the circle, which equals \(2\pi = 16\pi\). The length of arc BXC is thus \(\frac{16\pi}{r} = \frac{8\pi}{3}\)

Hope this helps

Regards
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 34 [0]
Send PM
Isn't the arc length of CD = 45/360 * 16 pi = 2 pi?

YMAkib wrote:
The circumference of the circle is 16pi.
The arc length of CD is 90/360=CD/16pi or, CD=4pi
The arc length of AB is 4pi.
Let, the arc length of BXC is x, so the arc length of AYD is 2x
So, x+2x+8pi=16pi or, x= 8pi/3
So the answer is B.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 36 [0]
GRE 1: Q167 V160
Send PM
Here, the chords AD and BC are parallel, angle DAC is given 45, therefore, angle BCA is also 45. Now we cant directly calculate the length of given segments, we have to apply indirect method, total circumference= seg. BXC + seg. CD + seg. DYA + seg. AB, i.e. 16pi= x+ 2x+ CD+ AB( i assumed seg BXC to be x). Now, seg CD and seg AB are equal.
Reason- mark the center of the circle, now angle of the seg AB will be twice of the angle subtended by its chord AB(45), therefore, the angle is 90. Same goes for the other one and since they have the same angle, their length of the segment will be 2*pi*r*(90/360)=16pi/4=4pi.
Therefore, 16pi=3x+4pi+4pi, this gives us x=8pi/3. Hence lenght of seg BXC is 8pi/3.
Target Test Prep Representative
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Own Kudos [?]: 269 [3]
Given Kudos: 114
Send PM
Expert Reply