Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 03:44 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 03:44

Close

GRE Prep Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GRE score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 33100 [1]
Given Kudos: 25173
Send PM
Own Kudos [?]: 883 [1]
Given Kudos: 9
Concentration: General Management
Schools: XLRI Jamshedpur, India - Class of 2014
GMAT 1: 700 Q51 V31
GPA: 2.8
WE:Engineering (Computer Software)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 50 [0]
Given Kudos: 49
Send PM
Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 33100 [1]
Given Kudos: 25173
Send PM
Re: What is the average (arithmetic mean) number of televisions per househ [#permalink]
Expert Reply
The average or mean is

Sum of the data values (number of televisions) / 100 (the sum to add up of the single percentages)

See here for more https://gre.myprepclub.com/forum/gre-me ... tml#p82942

However, we do have the last value is 5 or >

back to your question: that sum is how you have to calculate the numerator of the fraction to reach our solution.

I hope this helps

regards
Send PM
What is the average (arithmetic mean) number of televisions per househ [#permalink]
AkmKawser wrote:
Hello sir, Can you please explain why you are multiplying the total number of houses each time?

When we are finding average then in the numerator we are finding the total number of televisions in each category by multiplying the number of households in that category * number of televisions in that category.

Let's take an example of number of households with 1 Television.

To find the total number of televisions in houses with 1 television each we need to find the total number of houses in that category * 1 (As each house has only 1 television).

Now, how do we find the number of houses with 1 television? It is given to us that that percentage is 8% of the total number of houses => 8% * Total Number of houses

Hope this clarifies your doubt.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 50 [1]
Given Kudos: 49
Send PM
What is the average (arithmetic mean) number of televisions per househ [#permalink]
Average = (Total Number of Houses *16% * 0 + Total Number of Houses *8% * 1 + Total Number of Houses *24% * 2 + Total Number of Houses *20% * 3 + Total Number of Houses *20% * 4 + Total Number of Houses *12% * 5 or more) / Total Number of Houses

Basically, I was referring to that Yellow highlighted portion. Why multiply with "Total Number of Houses" each time?

Shouldn't it be like this below?

Average = (16% * 0 + 8% * 1 + 24% * 2 + 20% * 3 + 20% * 4 + 12% * 5 or more) / Total Number of Houses

Originally posted by AkmKawser on 30 Sep 2022, 11:07.
Last edited by AkmKawser on 10 Oct 2022, 03:41, edited 2 times in total.
Send PM
Re: What is the average (arithmetic mean) number of televisions per househ [#permalink]
AkmKawser wrote:
Average = (Total Number of Houses *16% * 0 + Total Number of Houses *8% * 1 + Total Number of Houses *24% * 2 + Total Number of Houses *20% * 3 + Total Number of Houses *20% * 4 + Total Number of Houses *12% * 5 or more) / Total Number of Houses

Basically, I was referring to that Yellow highlighted portion. Why multiply with "Total Number of Horses" each time?

Isn't it should be like this below?

Average = (16% * 0 + 8% * 1 + 24% * 2 + 20% * 3 + 20% * 4 + 12% * 5 or more) / Total Number of Houses

To get total number of houses with 0 Televisions you have to do 16% multiplied by number of houses. Lets understand using below example

Total number of students = 100
% of boys in class is 20%

If I ask you the actual number of boys then will we say 20% or 20% of Total

We will say 20% of Total = \(\frac{20}{100}\) * 100 = 20 boys

Hope this helps!
GRE Prep Club Legend
GRE Prep Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 68 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GRE Prep Club BumpBot!

Thanks to another GRE Prep Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
Moderators:
1085 posts
GRE Instructor
218 posts