Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 10:03 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 10:03

Close

GRE Prep Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GRE score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Tags :

Show Tags
Hide Tags

Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Most Helpful Community Reply
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 141 [5]
Send PM
General Discussion
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 1965 [3]
GRE 1: Q165 V161
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Re: How to get a perfect 170 in GRE Maths [#permalink]
Wow! Thanks very much for this bit of info. I hadn't the slightest clue. I got 170/170 (40/40) a week ago on the Quant section in Powerprep and finished both sections in about 20 mins average and spent about 10 mins reviewing and hunting for errors (So about 30 mins average). I took the second test a few days ago and got 167/170 (38/40). I definitely used more time on the test though I still managed to miss my 2 errors (Gutted).
I heard that the GRE Quant recently got harder and coupled with this new information I've apprehended I'm not overly pleased.
My exam is on Friday and hoepfully I'll be back here with good news.
Thanks again for the info Soumya :)
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 1965 [0]
GRE 1: Q165 V161
Send PM
Expert Reply
You are welcome man! Best of luck for your GRE exam! :-D
Some final minute tips I wanna share from my experience-

1. Always bring some food(like Mars bar) and energy drink (red bull, coke ) to eat and drink during the mid break. GRE is a very hectic exam. Its mostly a test of patience.

2. Mind the experimental section. Since you won't know which section is the experimental one treat each and every question seriously. Any other tactic can be counter productive.

3. If you have 3 sections on English (i.e the experimental section is English) you have to be extra careful to conserve your energy and mental wellness. Solving 60 questions for the english section can stress you out easily. So be prepared for it.

4. During the mid break, always be aware of the time. Even though the invigilator may ask you to come back when your break time is over, but there is always an odd chance that he or she may not. So try to guesstimate the time and go inside even before the break ends(10 mins last i checked).

I have a request to you once you are done with the exam. Can you please share your story in our Share GRE Experience forum? It will be really helpful as a guidance for other people who are trying to ace the GRE.

Lastly best of luck for your exam!! :good
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Thanks a lot Soumya! Hopefully I won't get enervated during the test.
The experimental section is silly in my opinion but that's an argument for another day.

I will definitely do that (If it goes well, lol). This site is still inchoate and I'd like to see it get to the level of GmatClub especially as there's a marked absence of proper and populated GRE forums on the web.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Send PM
I don't think the time affects the score. Only the number of questions answered correctly matters. As far as scoring 170 is concerned, only practice can get you that score. There are lot of online and free of cost gre practice tests available. Recently I found Wiseswan to be very helpful. The quant questions are really good. And the analytics they provide is the key to identify your weak areas. Give it a try, it's anyway free of cost.

Remember to keep the Powerprep for the end. As they are the closest to actual GRE. You can take the practice tests before but keep the full length test for the end.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 21 [5]
Send PM
Rubbish.
"recommend a 30 min deadline" --> This is total BS.

To whomsoever it may concern =>
The Quant or the Verbal Scores are not effected by the time you consume for the section.
If they wanted you to solve those 20 questions in 30 minutes then they would have given 30 minutes and not 35.

Here is the link to read about this-> http://www.ets.org/gre/revised_general/scores/how/

Regards
Stone Cold
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 35 [0]
Send PM
Are we sure now that a 170Q can be achieved with using the entire 35-minutes?
I'd also say it doesn't make sense to have a 35-min. stretch to finish if they'd only give away 170's for a <30min. finish...
Can anyone confirm a 170 with 35min. used?
Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 33116 [0]
Given Kudos: 25175
Send PM
Expert Reply
yes, quite sure.

Charles Bibilos, tutor online and at GMATClub, achieved this http://www.gmatninja.com/

Quote:
  • perfect GMAT score of 800 (51Q/51V/6.0 AWA), earned in July 2011
  • perfect GRE score of 340, earned in December 2012
  • perfect scores on the SAT quant and ACT

regards.
Sherpa Prep Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 362 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
This may have been true when it was posted 4 years ago, or maybe not, but it's certainly not true now. I took PowerPrep Plus #1 last week and finished with about 5 seconds to spare in every section and got a 170/170. I would highly recommend using all available time. If you are rushing to finish the test 5 minutes early, your score is likely to decrease rather than increase. Hope this helps.
Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 33116 [0]
Given Kudos: 25175
Send PM
Expert Reply
SherpaPrep wrote:
This may have been true when it was posted 4 years ago, or maybe not, but it's certainly not true now. I took PowerPrep Plus #1 last week and finished with about 5 seconds to spare in every section and got a 170/170. I would highly recommend using all available time. If you are rushing to finish the test 5 minutes early, your score is likely to decrease rather than increase. Hope this helps.

I guarantee you that not only Charles is one of the best tutors on the market (who takes 800 on GMAT and 340 on GRE is not a joke), but also that the test in 2012 is the same as now.
So if you rush out of time is only a question related to you NOT the test itself.

Moreover, do you think that ETS makes a test you are not going to be able to finish on time ?? I do not think so. They make a test bespoke you finish it. Otherwise, it would not have sense.

Regards
Sherpa Prep Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 362 [2]
Send PM
Expert Reply
Carcass-
If you read carefully you will find that I was responding to the original post asking whether one must finish early to get a perfect score, not to your response about Charles. You and I are actually in agreement about this topic. Have a good day!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [1]
Send PM
This post should really be deleted...
Intern
Intern
Send PM
I thought its about number of correct questions but not the timing
Intern
Intern
Send PM
mingzhuqiuxia wrote:

I agreed. This post definitely should be deleted. I was so scared for a minute there but soon realized it was a post back in 2014...

Apparently based on lots of feedback from recent test takers on Reddit, the quant sections in GRE are getting tougher compared to the PP and PP Plus mock tests. I would recommend everyone using every single second available to solve your questions. At the end of the day I pay $205 for approximately 3.5-hour-test. Every second counts.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Send PM
whiteshark243 wrote:
mingzhuqiuxia wrote:

I agreed. This post definitely should be deleted. I was so scared for a minute there but soon realized it was a post back in 2014...

Apparently based on lots of feedback from recent test takers on Reddit, the quant sections in GRE are getting tougher compared to the PP and PP Plus mock tests. I would recommend everyone using every single second available to solve your questions. At the end of the day I pay $205 for approximately 3.5-hour-test. Every second counts.

couldn't agree more. The scoring system doesn't consider how early you completed the test. This topic should be archived/deleted.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Thank you all
GRE Prep Club Legend
GRE Prep Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 68 [0]
Send PM
Hello from the GRE Prep Club BumpBot!

Thanks to another GRE Prep Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
Prep Club for GRE Bot
[#permalink]
Moderators:
1085 posts
GRE Instructor
218 posts