Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 10:47 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 10:47

Close

GRE Prep Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GRE score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 33099 [23]
Given Kudos: 25172
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 29 [2]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Send PM
Re: Best GRE Books - (2022) Edition UPDATED [#permalink]
Hi there! I'm new to this whole chatroom ordeal. I hope that I am able to get some quality information from my fellow GRE pep students. I recently took the practice test offered by The Princeton Review. Needless to say, I did not scored well. I received a 139 on the verbal section and a 130 on the Quant section. I am looking for a prep book that will best serve me in scoring well on this exam.

I'm looking into getting The Official Guide to the GRE by ETS and its supplemental materials. I'm also looking into the 5-1b GRE Questions Prep Book by Manhattan Prep. I heard that Kaplan's 2016 Premier edition is pretty good-However, there are mixed reviews as to what it offers. Some say that it lacks quality questions and strategies for the Quant section while others believe that it's the best supplement to the actual ETS guide. Also, I read that The Princeton Review, Cracking the GRE 2016 is best for those who are beginning their preparation.

I would love some insight on this before I make this important investment.

Thanks
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 10616 [20]
GRE 1: Q167 V156
WE:Business Development (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
Expert Reply
Bookmarks
mstinasucceeds wrote:
Hi there! I'm new to this whole chatroom ordeal. I hope that I am able to get some quality information from my fellow GRE pep students. I recently took the practice test offered by The Princeton Review. Needless to say, I did not scored well. I received a 139 on the verbal section and a 130 on the Quant section. I am looking for a prep book that will best serve me in scoring well on this exam.

I'm looking into getting The Official Guide to the GRE by ETS and its supplemental materials. I'm also looking into the 5-1b GRE Questions Prep Book by Manhattan Prep. I heard that Kaplan's 2016 Premier edition is pretty good-However, there are mixed reviews as to what it offers. Some say that it lacks quality questions and strategies for the Quant section while others believe that it's the best supplement to the actual ETS guide. Also, I read that The Princeton Review, Cracking the GRE 2016 is best for those who are beginning their preparation.

I would love some insight on this before I make this important investment.

Thanks

Hi mstinasucceeds,

The score of 130 and 139 in Quants and Verbal is fairly low. It is possible that you might require more than one set of books to get to a Good GRE Score. Ideally you should be initially looking for a book that has a significant amount of theory and practice problems. The best book in this segment would be Kaplan Premier. Kaplan has more than ample practice problems as well as a each topic is preambled by a section called the Kaplan's method of solving, which is extremely useful to brush up your rusty concepts.

Another good book which offers similar services is Barron's GRE. However in terms of quality of Questions and also theoretical sections Kaplan is better than Barrons.

After you have completed the Kaplan premier you can start Manhattan's 5lb book. Manhattan's 5lb book is a huge library of Questions with more than a 1000 questions in Math and English sections. However there is no theory sections before the chapter. Ideally this book is used to polish your already existing Math and English skills so people rarely start their prep with this book.

If you find that you still need better theoretical overview you can consider investing in Manhattan's Set of Eight Strategy Guides. These 8 strategy guides span across the subjects from RC and analytical Writing to Arithmetic in Quants. The distinct advantage of this is its modularity.Since you may require only one of the 8 you can buy that separately.

A good substitute of Manhattan 8 strategy guide is the ETS's Quant and Verbal Reasoning books. The quality of these books are at par with Manhattan and they have original GRE questions listed, however they are not as modular as the Manhattan's 8 strategy guide.

After you have completed the Manhattan 5lb book you could, rather you must, solve the ETS GRE book from cover to cover. It is the greatest resource of GRE questions available. While the practice problems are not as many as in Manhattan but all the questions in this book have appeared in the actual GRE exam.

I think you could also consider a tutoring service such as Magoosh. They have a very well developed program for GRE and they have extensive video libraries of tutorials and tips and tricks. A tutorial service will vastly accelerate your learning process. Furthermore after you complete each book/material you should give a GRE Mock Test and measure your improvement.

Here is a link of Free GRE tests available online

Apart form all of this you need to start building your GRE vocabulary now. There are ample Free vocab builder Apps available online you can make use of them. There are also resources such as Barron's 500/ 800 frequent GRE words. Vocabulary is essential for getting a good Verbal score.

To sum up:

Stage 1: Concept Building

• Tests and SWOT analysis(very important step!)

Stage 2: Skills Polishing

• Manhattan's 5lb book
  • ETS GRE
  • Manhattan's 8 strategy guides/ and or ETS Quant and Verbal Reasoning.

Best of Luck with your test prep.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [0]
Send PM
Excellent review..!
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Hi Guys,

I am not sure whether i can post my question in this thread.
I am new to GRE prep. I took an ETS Power prep practise test yesterday. I got 157 in Math and 142 in verbal. My desired score is Math - above 165 & verbal - above 150. Can you guys suggest some study tips and books which i need to follow for achieving my target score considering the fact that there are 45 days more for my D-day.

Thanks!
Girish.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
sandy wrote:
s

Hi there. Question, I noticed you're linking Kaplan to a "GMAT" book. is that right? What sections of the book shall we focus on? Thanks.
Founder
Founder
Affiliations: GMAT Club
Own Kudos [?]: 509 [0]
Given Kudos: 259
GRE 1: Q165 V170
Send PM
Expert Reply
Frida94 wrote:
sandy wrote:
s

Hi there. Question, I noticed you're linking Kaplan to a "GMAT" book. is that right? What sections of the book shall we focus on? Thanks.

I think that was a glitch. It should be Kaplan GRE.
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: AB, cum laude, Harvard University
Own Kudos [?]: 159 [13]
GRE 1: Q168 V169
Send PM
Expert Reply
Bookmarks
I've created a list with my Recommended GRE Books, and a GRE Study Plan.

A Comprehensive List of ETS GRE Official Materials / Other Recommended Materials / GRE Study Plan

When preparing for the GRE, one must remember to use official materials (materials written by ETS, the maker of the GRE) whenever possible. Third-party strategy and learning guides certainly have a place in the GRE prep process, but far too many students waste their GRE preparation time by using non-official test questions from companies such as Kaplan, which are often far different than the real thing--particularly with regard to GRE Verbal Questions, where it is difficult, if not impossible, for 3rd-party questions to fully replicate the wording, tendencies, and “feel” of official ETS questions.

Here are all of the GRE official materials from ETS that you can currently find:

• PowerPrep Online (Free): 2 free computer-adaptive tests (CATs) containing 160 real GRE questions per test (320 total), along with a Test Preview Tool (18 additional questions and 2 more essay questions)
    Powerprep Plus Online ($40 per test with 90 days of access): 2 more CATs ($40 each with 90 days of access) that you can only take once per purchase. 80 real GRE questions per test, and 320 real GRE questions total, along with a Test Preview Tool (18 additional questions and 2 more essay questions)
  • Paper-Based GRE Practice Test (old version): Beware: only 22 questions on the old paper-based test are unique: the other 78 questions overlap with the free PowerPrep Online test #1. Do not take these paper-based tests until after you take the PowerPrep online tests, or your diagnostic score might be less realistic due to question repetition.
  • Paper-Based GRE Practice Test (new version): Beware: only 37 questions on the old paper-based test are unique: the other 53 questions overlap with the free PowerPrep Online test #2. Do not take these paper-based tests until after you take the PowerPrep online tests, or your diagnostic score might be less realistic due to question repetition.
  • The Official Guide to the GRE General Test, 3rd Edition: 296 real GRE practice questions, including 57 additional math exercises.
  • Official GRE Quantitative Reasoning Practice Questions, Second Edition, Volume 1: 150 additional GRE Quant practice problems, along with answer explanations / test info.
  • Official GRE Verbal Reasoning Practice Questions, Second Edition, Volume 1: 150 GRE Verbal practice problems, along with answer explanations and information on the test.
  • The Official GRE Super Power Pack (includes books #5, 6 and 7 in one bundle, sometimes at a lower price than the individual books)
  • The Official GRE Value Combo (includes books #6 and 7 in one bundle, sometimes at a lower price than the individual books).

If you add up all the unique questions in these official resources, it totals about 1,300 official questions, which for many students is more than sufficient for a full GRE preparation. However, many students need more learning, strategy and practice than the official materials can provide. With that in mind, here are some additional 3rd-party GRE strategy and learning guides that I can recommend (I have linked to my own Amazon customer reviews of the books when applicable):

You might also want to consider purchasing the Manhattan Prep GRE CATs, which do not include real GRE questions, but are still (mostly) realistic and make for good practice if you need more than 4 CATs. The first exam is free, and you can buy 6 more for $39.

I do NOT recommend Kaplan or Princeton Review books, which are decent for mid-level scorers, but too simplistic for the student who aspires to high GRE scores.

GRE Study Plan - How to Study for the GRE

There is no one “right way” to study for the GRE. Some students prefer to jump in head-first and take a diagnostic practice test right away. Others are much more cautious, wanting to learn the topics well before taking an exam under test-day conditions.

In general, I would make a few suggestions:

• Study frequently and for short durations. I suggest studying 3 times a day for 50 minutes each, or 2 times a day for 75 minutes each. Spend most of your time trying practice problems (active), not just reading or watching videos (passive). Check the correct answer / answer explanation to each question right away for optimum learning--learning is best done when your thoughts are still fresh.
  • When you get something wrong, it’s a precious opportunity to improve. Don’t rush it! Avoid the temptation to just check the correct answer, and move on. Instead, force yourself to evaluate all the answer choices, and to try the questions again from scratch, as many times as needed, until you’ve mastered them. Check the correct answer only after you’ve tried the question again. Repeat this process as many times as possible until you’ve mastered the material.
  • Don’t take too many full practice tests, and don’t always practice with time pressure--you need to learn how to crawl before you can learn how to walk.
  • Try to use real GRE questions whenever possible, but be willing to use 3rd-party materials if you need extra practice in a specific area.
  • On Quant, be willing to go back to the basics if necessary, by drilling certain math concepts over and over until you are more confident. The Cliff’s Notes Math Review for Standardized Tests book is helpful in this regard.
    Improve your vocabulary. Vocab is very important on the Verbal section of the GRE. You may have heard (also linked above) that I co-wrote a popular GRE Vocab Book.
  • Don’t give up. Most people have to take the GRE several times before they reach their desired score, and the GRE ScoreSelect policy allows test-takers to hide any GRE scores that they don’t want their potential grad programs to see.

Good luck! I hope that you found this doc helpful. For the rest of my GRE Action Plan, click here. To read my AMA on reddit, which contains additional GRE Prep recommendations, click here.

-Brian McElroy
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 51 [0]
Send PM
skypetutor wrote:
I've created a Google Document with my Recommended GRE Books, and a GRE Study Plan.

Hope it helps,
Brian

Amazing! Thanks!!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Send PM
I recently took the test and can honestly say that you will be extremely well prepared using simply the Manhattan Prep Strategy Guide Set and the official ETS materials (available as a bundle for a reasonable price). There are more books/guides out there but you don't need anything else IMHO. Good luck.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
best GRE is 2018 GRE premier Kaplan practice
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: AB, cum laude, Harvard University
Own Kudos [?]: 159 [0]
GRE 1: Q168 V169
Send PM
Expert Reply
mestafanous2 wrote:
best GRE is 2018 GRE premier Kaplan_ practice

Here is my Amazon review of the Kap. book.

Spoiler alert: I'm not a fan.

-Brian
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Manhattan 5LB is best for practice especially Quant
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Send PM
Hi Sandy,

I am Karthik, new to GRE. I had few questions with respect to your recommendation. Please see the questions below. Thank you so much for all your help.

Stage 1: Concept Building
---------------------------
Kaplan Premier
Barron's GRE
A tutorial service such as Magoosh

Tests and SWOT analysis(very important step!)

Stage 2: Skills Polishing
---------------------------
Manhattan's 5lb book
ETS GRE -------------------------------> Karthik: Is this the ETS Super pack ?
Manhattan's 8 strategy guides/ and or ETS Quant and Verbal Reasoning.

Karthik: Should I buy the latest editions for all the above books?
Karthik: What about the study material for the "Analysis of an issue" and "Analysis of an argument"
Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 33099 [3]
Given Kudos: 25172
Send PM
Expert Reply