Last visit was: 28 Apr 2024, 01:51 It is currently 28 Apr 2024, 01:51

Close

GRE Prep Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GRE score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [7]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Most Helpful Expert Reply
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 10616 [12]
GRE 1: Q167 V156
WE:Business Development (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
General Discussion
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [0]
Send PM
Re: To understand the most important characteristics of a [#permalink]
One will always go to New York or Los Angeles in USA, Delhi in India, Beijing in China to get an idea of the people living there and the country. While studying both minor and major cities give us a different perspective, I believe that a major city will always provide a more lucid picture of the society as they are always more populated giving a bigger pool of subjects to study.
A bigger city will have people from different religious and economic backgrounds, more intricate network of public and private institutions that will be more cogent about how the individuals belonging to different communities are in perfect harmony.
They always have larger communities, more religious groups, more political groups, and people belonging to different economic class. This provides a bigger pool of subjects to understand how the society functions in such diversity. The higher the number of examples studied, the better the understanding of how people from different backgrounds and beliefs function in their everyday lives with respect to each other. This is what defines a society, the complete harmony of people in political, religious and economic terms.
Some might argue, that smaller cities provide history, culture and tradition that are also important to a society. But, who says that people in the cities do not preserve their culture. Modern cities still have families that imbibe traditions of their ancestors. In conclusion, History is important but not fundamental to a society. People and their interaction with each other create a society, this can be better understood only in bigger cities.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Send PM
To understand the most important characteristics of a society, one must study its major cities.

In this world of 21th century-a developed world in every field like information-technology, vehicles, education level, it is not necessary to study the particular sample to get information about that sample. The maximum possible correct result can be brought by studying another sample which gives resemblance of that sample. However, under some circumstances, such duplicate sample or reference sample may not necessarily give the correct idea of real sample. I agree with author's claim keeping myself under some reservations that under some reasons there would not give the actual properties of society by studying only the major cities.

City is the well developed in every field of respective as compared to its territory. Many people come to city different places of a nation to develop their education, career, etc. By studying these peoples' education, A nation can conclude it's education level. Kathmandu - A capital city of Nepal in Asia- is the developed city, where many people from different parts of a country come for their education and career. Many young people in rural area come to kathmandu to fulfill their dream. Any study which gives the education level of kathmandu city is also the resemblance of its other places.

Trichandra Collage, located at kathmandu, Nepal admits different students from all over the nation in the subjects of singing. All interested students in that nation goes to that college, so there is variety of people with different singing capacity, style etc. If we have to study nations singing culture, then the study of it among its student give nations singing tradition and culture.

The life style of the living people in the Washington city of America would certainly be different from any rural life style in that country. People in city have access to every facility given by government. But rural life is far from such facility. Even people struggle for their survival in the rural area. Any research which study a city lifestyle to seek a whole nations lifestyle is totally fallacious.

With these points, i partially agree with the author's claim. There is certainly many aspects where city give resemblance of whole nation. But some aspects seeks individual territory fundamentally unique.

Please review this and comment it. I have just started Analytical writing from today. It is the very first beginning.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Send PM
Today, cities are becoming more important than ever in our society. Since the living conditions and job opportunities are much better in urban areas, most of the population is trying to immigrate there. Because of these developments and the mass amount of people in one place, some believe that if a person wants to know about a nation, he or she can look at the major cities of that country. However, this statement may not hold true for all cities and this essay will try to explain why.
First of all, when it is thought about the characteristics of a society, the first things which come into our mind are culture, economic condition, and politics of that country. So, does the modern cities give enough information about these features? Of course, not. Let’s take New York City as an example where one can find many types of traditions and cultures co-existing. Another great example can be the historical city, London. Although the British Royal family is still in the city, a foreigner visiting it may encounter many cultures.
It is also worth mentioning that a multi-cultured society is true only for major cities in developed countries where job opportunities and living conditions are attractive. However, if one looks at the cases of cities in developing countries, it can be noticed that the majority living there are citizens of that nation which allows you to communicate with them and draw up your mind about that nation’s characteristics.
Moreover, if ancient cities are taken into consideration, the statement being discussed may also hold true. Since in the past, transportation was not well developed, many had to work in the same place where they were born. Such factors led the cities to be occupied by only local people. For instance, archeologists were able to study the habits of Roman people by investigating the ruins of ancient towns.
To sum up, although studying the cities in order to understand the characteristics of a society may still be a possible way for not yet developed countries, in the next few years it will become the most ineffective method.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 51 [0]
Send PM
Hello from the GRE Prep Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GRE Prep Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
Prep Club for GRE Bot
[#permalink]
Moderators:
GRE Instructor
218 posts
GRE Instructor
1029 posts