Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 12:05 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 12:05

Close

GRE Prep Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GRE score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1373 [24]
Given Kudos: 93
Send PM
Most Helpful Community Reply
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 34 [5]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
General Discussion
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 97 [5]
Given Kudos: 13
GRE 1: Q170 V161
GPA: 4
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 221 [0]
Given Kudos: 41
GRE 1: Q160 V161

GRE 2: Q165 V159
Send PM
Re: For an artist of such circumscribed talent, Mario was given [#permalink]
"For an artist of such circumscribed talent, Mario was given ____________ attention, many connoisseurs ____________ over works that warranted nothing more than a(n) ____________ glance."

Meaning- Circumscribed means restricted and even if we don't get that the phrase "that warranted nothing more than a ___ glance." should suggest that Mario has given undue footage. Critics were absorbed over works that warranted nothing but a casual glance.

A- Scant means little. Opposite of what we want.
B- Sporadic means irregular. Illogical in context.
C- Scrupulous means dilligent. Works well to highlight level of attention.
D- Poring means absorbed. Works.
E- Passing means hasty and is the opposite of what we want.
F- Faltering means losing strength or momentum. Illogical.
G- Derisive means mocking. Also illogical.
H- Cursory means casual. Works well.
I- Tentative means provisional. Illogical.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 49 [0]
Send PM
The sentence says that Mario's talents were circumscribed, which means that his talents were rather limited or restricted. This is a negative so now we know the tone that the sentence follows. The sentence starts with 'For an artist of such circumscribed talent, Mario was given _____ attention', since Mario's talents were circumscribed it follows that he received undue attention for his works. Thus we choose 'scrupulous on our first blank.

The rest of the sentence is easy, we know that many connoisseurs were looking at his works, so we choose poring for our second blank. The last sentence has the phrase 'warranted nothing more than' which again follows a negative tone. So Mario's works didn't deserve the attention they got. the opposite of careful attention would be 'cursory'. So we choose that for our last blank.

Thus our answer is (C),(D) and (H)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 46
Send PM
Hello, I would like to ask why the first blank is not "Scant" instead of "Scrupulous" since Mario doesn't have a lot of talent and LITTLE Attention should be given, right? So, can't we use "Scant" as little?
Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 33131 [0]
Given Kudos: 25178
Send PM
Expert Reply
Nikzy11 wrote:
Hello, I would like to ask why the first blank is not "Scant" instead of "Scrupulous" since Mario doesn't have a lot of talent and LITTLE Attention should be given, right? So, can't we use "Scant" as little?

For an artist of such circumscribed talent, Mario was given ____________ attention

For his so limited talent he was giving a very attentive look

Scant means limited but we already have limited. So is redundant.

Also is important to understand the meaning of the sentence

More on TC and SE here

https://gre.myprepclub.com/forum/gre-text- ... 22140.html

https://gre.myprepclub.com/forum/gre-text- ... 22155.html
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [1]
Given Kudos: 3
This is an excellent TC question; has all the elements of a medium-hard, three-blank question stem. Thanks, amorphous!
GRE Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 1360 [0]
Given Kudos: 24
Send PM
For an artist of such circumscribed talent, Mario was given [#permalink]
For an artist of such circumscribed talent, Mario was given ____________ attention, many connoisseurs ____________ over works that warranted nothing more than a(n) ____________ glance.

The phrase "For an artist of such circumscribed talent" expects us to imagine that he received more appreciation than he deserved. An expectation further proved by the phrase "over works that warranted nothing more than".

Thus we can imagine he was given plenty of attention, and hence the word for the first blank should be scrupulous. We can definitely rule out scant(little) and sporadic(intermittent).

Holding the same logic in our heads we can imagine connoisseurs poring over works that warranted the least attention. Hence the word for the second blank is poring.

And the word for the last blank which will give us the meaning of "deserving least attention" would be cursory. The sentence fragment would complete as
- warranted nothing more than a(n) cursory glance.

There is nothing in the sentence to suggest that his art deserved contempt and ridicule, so we can rule out derisive. Neither does the sentence suggest that his art deserved only a provisional look or a hesitant look. Hence we rule out tentative.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 51 [0]
Send PM
Hello from the GRE Prep Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GRE Prep Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
Prep Club for GRE Bot
[#permalink]
Moderators:
GRE Instructor
218 posts
GRE Instructor
1029 posts